Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022: Solutions to Trail head break ins. Are there any?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 4:36 pm 
Has catalytic converter theft been an issue at trailheads? I just read that Washington is No. 1 in that regard. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/wa-ranks-no-1-in-catalytic-converter-theft-in-u-s/ We're also very high in car theft.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 5:06 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Has catalytic converter theft been an issue at trailheads? I just read that Washington is No. 1 in that regard. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/wa-ranks-no-1-in-catalytic-converter-theft-in-u-s/ We're also very high in car theft.
With the tools available these days I doubt theives could be bothered to drive that far - why spend the gas and time to drive to a trailhead if the chances of getting caught in a neighborhood are so low? Besides, high clearance makes cutting them out easier but the best "buck for the bang" is the Prius.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 9:55 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Wow, talk about trading one addiction for another, dude is addicted to climbing Mailbox Peak, not sure what to think about that. Kind of like some drug addicts that turn into work-a-holics, I suppose some addictions are actually positive. However many addicts tend to get obsessed (like this guy) and other areas of their lives suffer from it. I used to be addicted to playing poker (still do but not as much) but my family life suffered because of it, even though I made money doing it. Ymmv.
It seemed like we needed a positive story involving a former addict. You're right - there are lots of things to get hooked on, and I think sometimes addictive personalities trade one (destructive) addiction for a more manageable one.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 10:11 pm 
FWIW, last week, a friend of mine carpooled from the Preston P&R and upon return found the catalytic converter gone from his 2006 Honda CRV -- $2500 repair.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Jun 16, 2022 11:07 pm 
Sadly, I have stopped going to trailheads for this reason (among several others), it seems the climate of casual hiking in the Cascades has changed. No need to have my car destroyed just to sniff some alpine air

Skookum Bill

Skookum Bill
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 9:13 pm 
Which cars are most likely to have catalytic converter stolen? These are the 10 models most targeted by catalytic converter thieves in the U.S., according to the company that tracks vehicle history. 1985-2021 Ford F-Series pickup trucks. 1989-2020 Honda Accord. 2007-17 Jeep Patriot. 1990-2022 Ford Econoline vans. 1999-2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks. 2005-21 Chevrolet Equinox. By referencing their partner repair shops, CARFAX found that these vehicles that are the most targeted for catalytic converter theft: 1985-2021 Ford F-Series pickup trucks 1989-2020 Honda Accord 2007-17 Jeep Patriot 1990-2022 Ford Econoline vans 1999-2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks 2005-21 Chevrolet Equinox 1997-2020 Honda CR-V 1987-2019 Toyota Camry 2011-17 Chrysler 200 2001-21 Toyota Prius

Skookum Bill

Skookum Bill
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 9:14 pm 
Which cars are most likely to have catalytic converter stolen? These are the 10 models most targeted by catalytic converter thieves in the U.S., according to the company that tracks vehicle history. 1985-2021 Ford F-Series pickup trucks. 1989-2020 Honda Accord. 2007-17 Jeep Patriot. 1990-2022 Ford Econoline vans. 1999-2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks. 2005-21 Chevrolet Equinox. By referencing their partner repair shops, CARFAX found that these vehicles that are the most targeted for catalytic converter theft: 1985-2021 Ford F-Series pickup trucks 1989-2020 Honda Accord 2007-17 Jeep Patriot 1990-2022 Ford Econoline vans 1999-2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks 2005-21 Chevrolet Equinox 1997-2020 Honda CR-V 1987-2019 Toyota Camry 2011-17 Chrysler 200 2001-21 Toyota Prius

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 9:39 pm 
Randito wrote:
FWIW, last week, a friend of mine carpooled from the Preston P&R and upon return found the catalytic converter gone from his 2006 Honda CRV -- $2500 repair.
Wow, a diamond crusted Honda!

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 10:03 pm 
Interesting. When I researched it awhile back the Prius was leading by a wide margin (like more than half). It appears I must be out of date - again. I remember being surprised because of how low the Prius is but after watching a video of a theft where they just used a portable jack and hearing how much more valuable the newer Prius CCs were it made sense.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 11:03 pm 
From what Wikipedia has to say about CC theft, it doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon, unless state legislators crack down on the resale markets: "Due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, major global automotive producers, such as General Motors, Volkswagen, and Volvo cut ties with Russia, causing price increases of palladium, a major ingredient in the production of catalytic converters. Russia is the largest exporter of palladium, exporting over 100 tons in 2020. The conflict is expected to cause an increase in the theft of converters."

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 12:17 am 
I'm not sure how much the Ukrainian war has effected the palladium price but I'm sure it hasn't helped. The price has skyrocketed in the last 5 years. It seems like thefts went down after the recession but started picking up in the last few years. It's not all about the platinum anymore.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 7:05 am 
Strange I had heard the Prius was most common in Seattle area. Too bad as we have a CRV and a F150 although they are the two most common vehicle.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 9:13 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
From what Wikipedia has to say about CC theft, it doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon, unless state legislators crack down on the resale markets:
So why hasn't this been fixed already? I seem to recall that there was a legislative effort for this. I could start digging for this answer, but maybe it's been discussed in another thread. ~z

uww

uww
PostSat Jun 18, 2022 9:14 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I had heard the Prius was most common in Seattle area.
I had heard that too, but my neighbor caught some guys sawing into his CRV with my Prius parked in front of it.

breadcrumb

breadcrumb
PostFri Jun 24, 2022 9:58 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Based on my data, a total of exactly 2,600 cars are known to have been affected by trailhead crime on or after 1/1/2015. Out of those 2,600 cars, I am aware of exactly 30 which had a vehicle part or accessory removed. This includes catalytic converters, tires, trailer hitches, etc. Likewise, out of the 2,600 affected cars, my data indicates that 28 were affected by virtue of being stolen. For both vehicle accessory thefts and thefts of vehicles, the true numbers are almost certainly higher. How much higher we can only guess.