Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > [Poll] Limiting population to preserve resources
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Is limiting population growth in order to limit pressure on the planet's resources (including wilderness) a good idea?
Yes
61%
 61%  [ 30 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 17 ]
Where's my option? (rant below)
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 5:46 pm 
Hey Touron-- Thanks for contributing. I mean that. moon.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 6:17 pm 
hihi.gif Hopefully my contribution or lack thereof will not result in me being "limited". I think a prudent stewardship of our existing resources (e.g. water, electricity) will go a long way towards alleviating resource pressures. And then right over the fence, we have outerspace, which makes our own Earth seem infinitisimal in size. Who knows what resources lie beyond?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Sep 02, 2008 7:03 pm 
I don't think there is really an ethical option of restricting the freedom to conceive. Even if there were some restrictions barring multiple births, it seems like it would be a waste of productive time and energy to enforce such an ordinance (if it could be enforced at all). I think progress ultimately lies in a higher distribution of education on efficient-resource usage and increased technological output to respond to a potentially greater pressure placed against our systems. Though the level of people may be on a rapid rise, I don't see why our mechanisms to cope can't rise at an even more rapid rate.

pdknight

pdknight
PostSat Sep 06, 2008 8:35 pm 
I hate for this to be the first post of mine on this site, so I hope it doesn't label me as that guy. Population growth, along with a great deal of current environmental issues, are fads and based on junk science. Sure, populations grow, that is what they do. People falsely look at growing populations as a drain on resources. In my opinion, people are capital, people themselves are a resource. More workforce, more people can do more. True, more people consume more. However, taking measures to restrict populations are sheer nonsense. Things work themselves out in the end. Modern technologies have taken out what used to keep populations in check, disease, famine, and the like. I don't see this as a bad thing, but I'm not a person that gives a tree a higher value than a human life. People talk about limiting family size, personally, I'm glad my parents didn't make that choice, else I wouldn't be alive! Everyone is for taking measures to limit the population, but no one wants to be the one to implement it. I read a quote somewhere by a tree hugger who said the only truly environmentally friendly thing you can do is to shoot yourself. Despite his environmental convictions, he never volunteered... Like every species that has come before us and every species that will come after us, we will have our time, and we will become an afterthought in the history of the planet. To think that we have this fantastic impact upon it is plain arrogance. When our species goes the way of the dinosaur, it won't take long for it to seem as if we were never even here.

SK

SK
PostSat Sep 06, 2008 9:32 pm 
pdknight wrote:
I hate for this to be the first post of mine on this site, so I hope it doesn't label me as that guy. Population growth, along with a great deal of current environmental issues, are fads and based on junk science.
Right, and the ice isn't melting, the climate isn't changing, and species aren't in extinction danger from human impact.
pdknight wrote:
Sure, populations grow, that is what they do. People falsely look at growing populations as a drain on resources. In my opinion, people are capital, people themselves are a resource. More workforce, more people can do more. True, more people consume more. However, taking measures to restrict populations are sheer nonsense. Things work themselves out in the end.
If only this "capital" did something to limit its grand-scale destruction, your point might be true. The only way thing work out in the end is with strict regulation of said "capital", otherwise this capital will destroy itself, its environment, and those left to clean up the mess.
pdknight wrote:
Modern technologies have taken out what used to keep populations in check, disease, famine, and the like. I don't see this as a bad thing, but I'm not a person that gives a tree a higher value than a human life.
Modern medicine is a great and powerful achievement, but a tree has value too. Without that tree, we wouldn't be here in the first place, and most of those medicines wouldn't either. Respect that.
pdknight wrote:
People talk about limiting family size, personally, I'm glad my parents didn't make that choice, else I wouldn't be alive! Everyone is for taking measures to limit the population, but no one wants to be the one to implement it. I read a quote somewhere by a tree hugger who said the only truly environmentally friendly thing you can do is to shoot yourself. Despite his environmental convictions, he never volunteered... Like every species that has come before us and every species that will come after us, we will have our time, and we will become an afterthought in the history of the planet. To think that we have this fantastic impact upon it is plain arrogance. When our species goes the way of the dinosaur, it won't take long for it to seem as if we were never even here.
Are you blind? Of course we have an impact on it. Go look at the rivers in Africa, the air quality in China, LA, and Eastern Europe, the Duwamish in Puget Sound, the glaciers in Soon-to-be-not-Glacier NP and Patagonia, and that little rainstorm in the Gulf a couple years ago. I challenge you to provide a convincing argument that people have nothing to do with any of that.

Don't capitalize for emphasis, ok? Capitalization!
pdknight

pdknight
PostSat Sep 06, 2008 9:59 pm 
Ice has always been melting and freezing, look at geological history. The last ice age is just ending. Ice ages don't just happen in the course of a few years, nor do the climate phases when there is little or no ice, the Carbiniferous(unsure of spelling) lasted millions of years, with hot temperatures all over the globe, and no ice! It happens, we have a cyclical climate. We only recently have been able to witness these changes, and we are witnessing a point in earth's climate cycle during a melt. Give it another few undred thousand years, and our descendants will have expanding ice caps to complain about, not their disappearing. You want to regulate human population and breeding through laws. Several recent totalitarian governments have tried this, it didn't go too well for them. The chinese are trying it, and they don't exactly have a history of good ideas. But sure, get all the ideas you want from a totalitarian regime with a miserable human rights record. As fas as our impact on the environment, volcanic eruptions, in a few hours, dwarf the human impact on the climate. Natural processes do so much more to impact the environment than human activity does. River quality in Africa? When they start giving a crap about their own quality of life, they will do something about their rivers. It also seems you want to attribute Katrina to human activity. If I am not mistaken, hurricanes happen all of the time!!! NOLA is built below sea level, in the worst possible place to build a city. I doubt human activity persuaded it to hit the city... No doubt humans imoact the air quality around our cities, I didn't say that they didn't. My statement was pointed at the theory that there was no global warming until humans came along, the "scientists" that say that humans alone are to blame for ice melting, and so forth. Our planet has seen so many climate changes and mass extinctions in its history, my statement was that this change is only one change in the thousands of changes that have occured in the past, and will continue to happen. Limiting birth rates through opressive laws through the deprivation of fundamental human rights is not going affect the climate changes of this planet. If you are so concerned about it, I encourage you to be the first one to start. Make your impact zero, don't have any children, stop doing anything to impact the planet. You can not do it, and it is mere hypocrisy to demand it of others.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Sep 07, 2008 7:35 am 
Stefan wrote:
Human population goes up...but not enough strong voices to open up the dilapidated roads to the backcountry! Maybe if people start logging more here instead of foreign countries, that might happen. Support local logging!
I like it, of course. up.gif up.gif I believe education and prosperity is the way to decrease population growth in a slow and non-violent way. Look at what happened to the Europeans after WWII. Now they have immigration to deal with, and so do we. Until the other countries in the world come about, get educated and increase their standard of living, the population will continue to grow. Most of all, the women need education, jobs and the chance for better lives.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostSun Sep 07, 2008 8:31 am 
It is ironic that when people (especially women) have more education, prosperity, and the power to control their own reproduction, i.e. when they can afford more kids, they tend to have fewer kids.