timberghost
PostTue Nov 14, 2023 8:32 am 
No it was an IMPOSTER (ALL CAPS)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 7:26 am 
Wake_and_Bait wrote:
CC, I feel like your opinions of me flipping properties is absurd. I have no intentions of flipping anything. Im just a local hiker/skier who knows Chris and Art Mears, and I have met them and ski toured the area recently to go over the project. The only reason I posted is because the thread was already active and I figured my information would be helpful. It is very important to know that the original 1971 avalanche study was based off a one day summer inspection by Ed Lachepple. In comparison, Chris and Art’s evaluation is based off 4 separate visits to Yodelin, each visit multiple days with winter/summer observations, starting in 2020- present day. The primary issue is that Chelan county is not experience with avalanche in comparison to Colorado or Alaska counties by example. Chris and Art are making this a long-term project. Based off my understanding, they already studied one complete division out of three total. They are working with one long time owner in Yodelin, they are not really open with working with others at this time from my understanding. I know the property owners. Their plan is for a small family cabin exclusively. So they can hike the PCT and enjoy winter recreation, nothing like you suggest of flipping, I can confidently confirm that. I would like to ask what is your motivation to label me a flipper online? I’m having trouble understanding where you are coming from. Do you own property in Yodelin and want no one in your back yard???
It’s interesting that you say Chelan county isn’t experienced with avalanches. There are many avalanche paths that intersect US 2 along the highway from Tunnel Creek to Berne. It’s a full time job in the winter for the professional avalanche technicians to keep the highway safe. It’s been this way since before the Yodelin development.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 9:04 am 
That’s the state doing the control work. Not Chelan county.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostWed Nov 15, 2023 9:12 am 
Yes, it’s WSDOT. The knowledge they have doesn’t exist in a vacuum and employees often switch from county to state. We’re actually a small county population wise

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Nov 16, 2023 9:18 am 
Randito wrote:
For example the "Phantom" is a moderately popular ski run on Snoqualmie Mountain, following a cleared swath through mature (centuries old) timber. It didn't exist prior to 1986 when a massive avalanche cleared hundreds of acres of large mature forest. (5 feet of snow fell in a short period of time , followed by 6 inches of rain )
Really? Phantom slide didn't exist AT ALL prior to 1986? That's really hard to believe (what's your evidence of this?). I have a poster of Alpental from 1971 and it doesn't have a direct view of Phantom but I can see the lower part and there are no trees (where trees would normally grow) suggesting this is a historical path and has run hundreds of times throughout earth's history. Just looking at it, it appears to be a natural, historical slide path (massive treeless face up high that holds deep snowpack on steep, rocky, south facing surface = likely historical slide path). It's hard to believe that brand new, never ever run in earth's history, large-scale avalanche paths are being created in the Cascades that are taking out 100% thousand year old growth trees. More likely, a path like Phantom may only run every 100, 200 years or so (so someone staring at it in 1985 may naively think it is has never run). But if you look close, you can see evidence of historical slides (different size trees, cut off stumps, landscape scoured and channelized). This is particularly true since the Cascades are getting less snow than we did, and snowline is higher, so our avalanches today are typically smaller, not larger, than historical slides. My own anecdotal observation in the Cascades is that we are losing our large slide paths to vegetation, not gaining them. Sucks because in our low elevation, tree choked state, the historical slide paths are where the good skiing is.