Forum Index > Support & Feedback > OT threads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 12:35 pm 
Perhaps the forum nannies ought to bundle these religious threads together and send them off with the politics. I have no problem with those who wish to discuss these questions but they have nothing to do with this forum and they tend to evolve (or maybe are just created... puff!) into bitter flame wars.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gary

gary
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 12:52 pm 
Excellent suggestion there, mike.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 2:03 pm 
Agreed, it is just a distraction from important topics like that darn gate on the MF and too much info in TRs. clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 2:16 pm 
I have no objection to having the religion threads over on the dark side. Tom? Mcaver?

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 2:17 pm 
If it gets to that point it will be evaluated, but for the most part the the one? religious thread (resurrected from the deep) has not evolved into a flame war of historical proportions, nonwithstanding one or two posters with a penchant to ridicule others and/or hijack threads. I assume the missing link thread is the other religious thread referred to. I don't view that debate as religious per se. Sometimes it can be difficult to draw the line. At the end of the day will come down to the posters themselves to decide whether they offer something of substance to this forum or if they are ultimately a problem that needs to be dealt with.

mgd

mgd
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 8:24 pm 
Are we referring to the Yorel Creek High Route thread? hihi.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:06 pm 
mgd wrote:
Are we referring to the Yorel Creek High Route thread? hihi.gif
That's a religious war fer sure. Things got a little heated over the weekend in one of the threads -- I honestly don't remember which one -- and I and another poster exchanged words. But we self-regulated, removed our own postings, and let the thread get back to business. The missing link thread seems a whole lot more heated and pointless than any of the in-fighting I got involved in, though. High-falutin' pseudo-science and yammerin' on, just ain't my thing. Guess that's why the Ignore Thread feature was created?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
mgd

mgd
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:29 pm 
In sooth, I've never used the Ignore Thread--not even sure how it's done. I like reading the differences of opinion, as long as they do not involve my favorite beer that is. If I get tired of it, then I just skip that thread, miss a few links, for awhile.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:33 pm 
The ignore thread feature was removed because the overhead slowed down the forum and nobody really used it after we deep sixed the polical discussion. hmmm.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:34 pm 
mgd wrote:
In sooth, I've never used the Ignore Thread--not even sure how it's done. I like reading the differences of opinion, as long as they do not involve my favorite beer that is. If I get tired of it, then I just skip that thread, miss a few links, for awhile.
Maybe if Tom renamed the "Stop watching this topic" link to instead read "Tired? Bored? Frustrated? Let's just pretend this thread doesn't exist anymore, shall we?" it'd get more use. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:37 pm 
Tom wrote:
The ignore thread feature was removed because the overhead slowed down the forum and nobody really used it after we deep sixed the polical discussion. hmmm.gif
Waitaminute. Then what does that link at the bottom of the thread do? Display a page that says, "Just kidding! You can't get away from us that easily..."? Ahh. Just turns off the new post notifications for a given thread. Nevermind.

Justan

Justan
PostMon Apr 17, 2006 8:39 am 
The thread Something you don’t see every day” originated at National Geographic, and was presented as a significant scientific finding. If someone has an inability to apprehend a topic as such, any fault lies with the person(s) inability and not with the topic. Further, the day something originating from National Geographic or any scientific journal is considered taboo at this site will represent an empty victory for empty heads, and nothing else.

-Justan Elk