Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawk Creek and Falls - 4.01.2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 1:42 am 
We got a late start Sunday leaving Spokane about 3pm. We had to go somewhere, it’s felt like a long time since we had sun on a weekend, and it didn’t matter that the temps were still somewhat low. Robin and I had never seen Lake Roosevelt, which is actually the portion of the Columbia River extending north from Grand Coulee Dam to Kettle Falls. After reading about Hawk Creek in a guide book, which is a tributary to Lake Roosevelt we decided to go take a look. The drive from Spokane to Davenport is somewhat boring, but once you get on highway 25 heading north toward Kettle Falls the views start almost immediately. Having never been on highway 25 it was neat to watch the transition from flat farm lands, to sporadic pine forests and hills, and eventually mountains as we dropped into the Columbia River basin. After driving almost 23 miles north of Davenport we turned left (west) onto Miles-Creston Road. After almost 8 scenic miles passing several great views of Lake Roosevelt we found our selves turning right (west again) onto a dirt road at the sign for Hawk Creek campground. About two miles down the road was the primitive Hawk Creek campground and Hawk Creek Falls to our left. Hawk Creek Falls is very impressive plunging 40 feet through a massive chunk of basalt rock to a refreshing pool below. After taking in the falls we decided to follow Hawk Creek a few hundred yards to a boat launch were a fisherman’s trail headed west toward the mouth of Hawk Creek, and Lake Roosevelt. The lake level is low right now leaving a Glen Canyonesque look to Hawks Creek as it meanders west. It wasn’t long before our trail intersected an abandoned road, and in a short while offered us our first view of the lake. We continued west, along the jeep track, to where we were forced down onto a pleasant sandy beach. With the lake level down it created a huge sandy beach which was quite nice, especially since we had it all to our selves. I never thought I would find myself doing a beach hike in Eastern Washington. The dog loved it, being able to run with out a leash for as long and as far as her lung could take her. After walking the beach for quite a ways we decided to call it quits and head back toward the falls, and our truck. We had a great time at Lake Roosevelt, and are looking forward to finding more nooks and crannies to explore in the near future. If you ever find yourself on highway 25 do yourself a favor, and drive the extra twenty miles round trip out of your way to see Hawk Creek Falls, you won’t regret it. On the way home Robin and I were lucky enough to catch another classic Eastern Washington sunset through our rear view window. We hiked just under 3 miles with perhaps 100 feet of elevation gained.
Glen Canyonesque Hawk Creek, Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Glen Canyonesque Hawk Creek, Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Head waters of Hawk Creek near confluence with Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River), Eastern Washington.
Head waters of Hawk Creek near confluence with Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River), Eastern Washington.
Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Robin and Kali taking in the views at Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Robin and Kali taking in the views at Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Beach at Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Beach at Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Patterns in nature, Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Patterns in nature, Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Sandy shores of Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Sandy shores of Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Headwaters of Hawk Creek, Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Headwaters of Hawk Creek, Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Hawk Creek, Eastern Washington.
Hawk Creek, Eastern Washington.
Hawk Creek Falls, Eastern Washington.
Tanner takes in the falls, Hawk Creek, Eastern Washington.
Tanner takes in the falls, Hawk Creek, Eastern Washington.
Sunset over Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Sunset over Lake Roosevelt, Eastern Washington.
Sunset near Davenport, Eastern Washington.
Sunset near Davenport, Eastern Washington.
Moonrise near Davenport, Eastern Washington.
Moonrise near Davenport, Eastern Washington.
Source for Hike: “100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest” Rich Landers

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 5:38 am 
Great pics and the waterfall is a special treat. Nice TR and all these recent reports on E. Wa should make others aware that there are still so many great places to visit in this state, even in the early part of a year. Well done. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 am 
Good stuff!! You are getting very good with that camera!!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 7:23 am 
Excellent TR, TJ. I like seeing the eastern part of the state. I love hwy 25 as well - fun road to drive. Its been too long since I've been in that area. Hawk Creek & Falls looks like a wonderful place!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy

Sir Hikes-A-Lot
X-Ray Guy
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 8:50 am 
Nice Job guy. I think that I need to do an Eastern Washington hike and see what they hype is about. Nice pics.

BA-NA-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE-NARE!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 pm 
Those pictures definitely make the Hawk Creek area look a lot more scenic than I had originally thought it to be. Gonna have to get over to that area of the state sooner rather than later.

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Apr 03, 2007 11:43 pm 
Dean - Glad you liked the TR. The waterfall was a wonderful treat, and yes, as you know, Eastern Washington does have a lot to offer. Tazz - Thanks, glad you like the pics. I love my Canon powershot especially now that I know how to use it to get the pictures I'm looking for. Quark - Glad you liked the TR. Yeah that highway 25 looks like it only gets better the farther north you go. Someday I will have to drive that bad boy to Kettle Falls. Smiddy - Yeah, you will have to get your ass out here someday. up.gif

bballoutdoors44

bballoutdoors44
PostThu Apr 05, 2007 5:00 pm 
bass
Hawk creek....great little place with some great bass fishing in the summer!!!

DJM
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Apr 05, 2007 5:13 pm 
Yeah, i hear the bass and walleye fishing is great there.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 05, 2007 5:51 pm 
Awesome, I like it all up.gif ! I was just out reconning Colockum Wildlife Refuge / Pass and Tarpiscan Creek area today.

Living in the Anthropocene