Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Sharing your Glacier observations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
peltoms

peltoms
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 6:35 am 
Anybody have a nice image from this location near Image Lake of the Glacier Peak glaciers, I have several including from 1946 and 2005, but I am looking for other years.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 11:21 am 
None of my images taken near Image Lake match that perspective. Your pic looks like it's taken from somewhere near High Pass.
Glacier Peak from Trail to High Pass (Late September 2006)
Glacier Peak from Trail to High Pass (Late September 2006)

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 4:48 pm 
Much the same as Tom's and from a similar date.
Glacier Peak ,9/2006 from Buck Creek Pass
Glacier Peak ,9/2006 from Buck Creek Pass

don't believe everything you think
peltoms

peltoms
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 5:35 pm 
Glacier Peak from near High Pass in 1946 taken by Bill Long.
Glacier Peak from near High Pass in 1946 taken by Bill Long.
Not exactly placed, but great photographs. Thanks, I with your permission I will put them to use next week smile.gif . I will check to see if I have any 1940 images from more of this location.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostWed Nov 21, 2007 2:57 pm 
Here's another one for you, Peltoms. This shot was taken in August of this year on the way to High Pass.
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak

Opinions expressed here are my own.
peltoms

peltoms
PostSat Nov 24, 2007 5:52 am 
You can certainly see the greatere snowpack extent of 2007 versus 2006 or 2005 in these pictures. The next shot I am looking for is of Kennedy Glacier. I have a whole bunch I took from 1988-1997, but more recently none.

WTM

WTM
PostSun Nov 25, 2007 12:37 pm 
Peltoms, just in case you are still interested in Glac Pk photos.... Here are three, taken at various times from north, east, and west(the Kennedy Glacier side?). They are all cropped out of 4x5 trannies or color negatives. (1) The photo of Glac Pk from the north was taken (Aug, 2003) from within 1/2 mile of Image lake (approx 1/4-1/2 mile SE of lake) (2) The photo of Glac Pk from the east (Aug, 2004) was taken approx 1 mile (by trail) south of Buck Creek Pass on the High Pass Trail just below Liberty Cap. (3) The photo from the west (Aug of 2001) was taken from somewhere on the Meadow Mt trail (a little north of due west of Glac Pk). I had wanted to get back up to the Meadow Mt-Fire Mt area this summer to get another look at the western aspect but access is all screwed up lately.
Glac Pk from Image Lk - aug 2003
Glac Pk from Image Lk - aug 2003
Glac Pk from Buck Pass - Liberty Cap - aug-2004
Glac Pk from Buck Pass - Liberty Cap - aug-2004
Glac Pk from meadow mt-aug-2001
Glac Pk from meadow mt-aug-2001

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Dec 10, 2007 9:48 am 
Glacier Peak Survey
Thank you for all the pictures of Glacier Peak. I have utilized at least one from each submission on Glacier Peak in the updated page on Glacier Peak glacier variationssurvey. Even on years when I am working on these glaciers I often cannot back off far enough to get an image that captures the glacier. I used to visit the Kennedy nearly every year, but my last visit was in 2002 and I cannot envision a visit in the next several years. I would love to utilize a closeup of the terminus taken from the trail up the moraine enroute to the glacier terminus. It is great to have a picture of Chocolate Glacier every year from 2003-2007, this shows the collective information of NWhikers is valuable. These images show the snowline position readily, and this is vital information. I will come back to this point on a different web page later. I have noted who took each picture, but I used your screenname, if you would like me to use your real name, just let me know.

peltoms

peltoms
PostWed Dec 19, 2007 8:33 am 
Olympics
Olympic glacier update. As noted in NWMJ. In the Olympics, the Blue Glacier has been continuously retreating since 1986 and the Anderson Glacier has lost a third of its area. The Hoh Glacier has retreated nearly 500m since its 1970s advance. -- Adding to that Blue Glacier reached a minimum in 1952, and then advanced 230 meters by 1980, beginning in 1986 retreat has since caused the glacier to recede 300 meters. It is now at its smallest size in several thousand years, the same can be said for the Hoh and Anderson Glacier. Note the Olympic glacier page. I need your help. I am looking for great pictures to make this page visually interesting. I will fill in the data I have already aquired. I should note that the submissions by several Nwhikers have been published this fall by Sierra Club, Northwest Mountaineer Journal, Smithsonian etc.. By compiling the photographs in one place visually documenting change and then providing the scientific context the photographs become scientifically valuable.

javman

javman
PostFri Dec 21, 2007 12:27 am 
Peltoms -- Your post made me do some digging for photos/info on Hubert Glacier, as it feeds one of my favorite rivers, the South Fork Hoh. It doesn't look to be doing too well either. Apparently a rockslide sometime around 2004 covered a large portion of the glacier (cc.com trip report - Search for "hubert"). From my photo on 7/30/2005 -- it's obvious the rockslide covered most of the terminus as well. Not sure what that does to glacier dynamics.
The only other photo I could find of Hubert is here at UW (not dated). It has obviously receded quite a bit, but hard to say exactly how far since the terminus is currently covered by rockfall. And a topo/google earth comparison:
A trek up to the terminus is on my list of things to do... When I get there, I'll let you know smile.gif

peltoms

peltoms
PostSat Dec 22, 2007 7:06 am 
Hubert Glacier has lost its entire low elevation basin section 4800-5200 feet. The debris cover does not obscure the true terminus. Retreat from the map position (1980s) to the current terminus location is approximately 400 m. Howevre, the upper basin above the icefall is vigorous in its flow indicating good accumulation. The northern portion of the glacier is not quite as healthy. The debris cover will reduce melting for a time near the terminus slowing the retreat.

dburrows

dburrows
PostSun Jan 06, 2008 10:29 pm 
Glacier Peak Photos
dburrows

dburrows
PostSun Jan 06, 2008 10:35 pm 
Glacier Peak Photos
Here are a number of photos of Glacier Peak from 1965-68 Glacier Peak Images

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Jan 07, 2008 9:58 am 
Great Picture of Vista Glacier, Scimitar Glacier and Kennedy Glacier. Thanks. I have posted a prognosis for the upcoming glacier field season NCGCP 2008

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Jan 07, 2008 12:52 pm 
Hey Peltoms, I just picked up a Goodwill hardbound copy of Harvey Manning's 1964 The Wild Cascades. Do you have it? There seems to be quite a few G.P. photos and glacier photos in general pre 1964 from various famous photographers. If you want to know where this book is for sale in Seattle for not too much money or just for checking out the pics P.M. me or you could just borrow my copy.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown