Forum Index > Trail Talk > Experienced?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostSat May 17, 2003 12:16 am 
What criteria in your opinion gives a hiker and/or backpacker the status of Experienced? I see hikes offered by clubs that say they are led by "experienced" hikers/backpackers and just wondered what it takes to be considered experienced. I know many of you have been hiking/backpacking so long some of us will never catch up! I am curious what the least amount of qualifications are to fall into this category.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat May 17, 2003 2:09 am 
Newb: The Newb tries to enjoy the outdoors, but won't stray more than 1/4 mile from the comforts of the padded leather car seats, for fear of getting lost and not being able to use a cellphone or have a fresh mochacino. Sunday Walker: Often seen at Cougar Mountain, or around the lakes on the north side of West Tiger. The Sunday Walker enjoys the outdoors, but either is too old to do something more demanding, or doesn't know that Cougar and Tiger are boring. Sunday Walkers are often seen in pairs or groups. Sporatic Day-Hiker: Day Hikers are the most common population of hikers. Common breeding grounds are Snow Lake, Twin Falls State Park, Lake Serene, etc. Day Hikers are usually quite fond of the outdoors, but may not see it necessary to carry supplies such as food, water or a camera. Day Hikers often consist of families with whiny kids who let forth ear-piercing cries at the pre-determined turn around point to let the parents know that they have reached the pre-determined turn around point. Common Day Hiker: Similar to the Sporatic Day Hiker, the Common Day Hiker is usually not accompanied by children, and usually has the common sense to carry such supplies as water, food and a camera. But like the Sporatic Day Hiker, the Common Day Hiker usually doesn't stray from the popular, moderately easy trails. Experienced Hiker: The Experienced Hiker knows how to properly hike long distances, and routeenly hikes 8-10+ miles in a day. Bushwhacking is often an activity enjoyed by the Experienced Hiker, though not for too long of distances. Backpacking is common, usually in later stages of the span of Experienced-Hiker status. Minor injuries are not uncommon. Hardcore Badass Hiker: The HB Hiker does 25 mile decathalons though the Enchantments in a day, or summits 14,000 foot mountains in 3 1/2 hours. Often carrying nothing more than a roll of duct tape, a pocket knife and a lighter for melting snow into water, the HB Hiker spends all too much time on the mountain, and often suffers from chronic paper cuts from topo-maps, and carpel-tunnel syndrom from trip planning. The HB Hiker rarely carries a camera, insisting on following the ultra-light mantra, and thusly, there rarely is proof that the claimed excursions of HB Hikers ever take place. biggrin.gif (Did I forget any?)

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat May 17, 2003 8:02 am 
You forget this one: DumbAss Hiker(Hikers-without-a-life): They are seen on the trails every week, with a glazed over look in their eyes, only caring about reaching the destination-be it a peak, a pass, or a lake. They rudely pass everyone on the trail, foam at the mouth about "scenic vistas" to unwitting tourists that try to get them to talk about the wilderness, and get snipy with tourists who just DON'T get it that somebody would want to hike 10+ miles in a day on scree.....They are known for hauling their young offspring with them because they can't find a babysitter for the hellion-and if they whine it means go faster biggrin.gif These hikers love to backpack and think crawling under downed trees is fabu! They enjoy using open air privies and have been known to have photos taken of themselves on said privies. They are not very graceful though and are quite prone to falling in water crossings, and falling down steep inclines of snow-aoid this breed of hiker as a partner at all cost! They also haul a camera with themselves 24 hours a day so they can great money shots of themselves on whatever trail they are on-which they then force all people they know to look at and tell them stories about meeting "bears, cougars and scary water crossings" and they just don't understand why people back away from them biggrin.gif You say how do I know this breed? Oopsie...... I am a proud member of this group biggrin.gif biggrin.gif hehheh

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat May 17, 2003 10:14 am 
Experienced Leader
Pack Pup and I first starting day hiking years ago with the Issaquah Alps Trails Club and participated in their group hikes led by “experienced leaders.” An experienced leader should have the technical ability, first aid knowledge, and group leadership skills for the task at hand. Check out the Issaquah Alps web site at Issaquahalps.org. Over the years Pack Pup and I have worked our way through Sore Feet’s Academy Of Hiking Accomplishments, and have finally graduated to the point that we think it’s fun to be out for 5 – 7 days and wonder where the heck we are.

Highker

Highker
PostSat May 17, 2003 11:41 am 
Don't forget the Internet Hiker Wannabe: spends more time on computer than on the trail. Expounds on expertise garnered from books, magazines, salespeople, and the internet. Knows all the stats on gear, where to get them, the latest trends in hiking. Builds databases of lakes, peaks, trails. Has expensive car with multi-axle drive for the once-a-year trip up a gravel road. Owns large collection of hiking books. Skin is pasty white, diet is coke and candy bars. Lives in the big city or suburbia. Posts internet notes on a weekend at a quarter to noon, when should be on trail. Hey, that describes all of us!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Trekker

Trekker
PostSat May 17, 2003 2:36 pm 
Quote:
Hey, that describes all of us!
NOt me. I go to tanning booth. Experienced guides know how to use all of their equipment and can teach the Newb how to use it. They have been hiking for several years and in all kinds of weather.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 17, 2003 5:33 pm 
That is a good question that hasn't really been answered before I think. It's often difficult to critique ourselves. There are those more hard core than myself (Ibex comes to mind) but few have gotten out more often than myself over the last 15 years I think too. Hmm, I'd say that I'm in between that Experienced guy, and the HCBA hiker guy. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat May 17, 2003 6:06 pm 
If I were new to backpacking and were hiring an expert guide I would want -someone who has been backpacking for several years and has been on several 5+ day trips and knows the mountain range -someone who has done 4 season camping -someone who can travel off trail with map and compass -knows first aid and can handle emergency situations -somone personable that can educate me and keep the experience fun Most of my trips have had a certain element of bungling to them wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 17, 2003 7:13 pm 
Bungling Bear and the outdoor circus! winksmile.gif agree.gif winksmile.gif TB up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat May 17, 2003 7:18 pm 
I would say that if you have to ask, you aren't one.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostSat May 17, 2003 7:38 pm 
I posed the question on 5/30/02, (so I guess I'm not experienced) but see no reason to link that thread. I wouldn't want to insinuate that ALL had been said on the subject already. I would think rubberlegs, McPil, Mal Con, Jimk, Karen, allison, Larry, Damian, Dante, Sorefeet, MtnGoat, Salsih, Randy, Mike Collins, Brian Curtis, Stefan, Catwoman, Dslayer, Scrooge, Cascasdehiker, Tom, Kleet, 2drx, Alan Bauer, Dave Weyrick, Slide Alder Slayer (and BPJ) biggrin.gif , and MANY more regular posters on this board can be described as experienced to one degree or another.. No doubt some more than others. BPJ, I wondering how you would know that "few have gotten out more than myself"? That is quite the self-assessment. wink.gif There are hundreds if not thousands of avid hikers out there. At some point the number of trips one has been on becomes irrelevant and things like common sense become a greater factor with respect to ones experience level. In other words, I look for people to get out with that I don't think are going to do something stupid.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 17, 2003 8:59 pm 
Pappy, my point wasn't one of arrogance. My work as given me June, July, and August off every year for the past 11 years! I've used much of that time in the outdoors! How many people, avid hikers or not have that much time off to spend in the outdoors? TB winksmile.gif agree.gif winksmile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat May 17, 2003 9:33 pm 
A lot of us get time off to get out, not just the odd weekend. rolleyes.gif I say get over yourself.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
pappy-

pappy-
PostSat May 17, 2003 9:38 pm 
I don't think you are arrogant and well remember that you get all that time off in the summer. However, there are many that average getting out three or more times a month - every month. Sometimes, less is more. No?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 17, 2003 10:10 pm 
Get over myself, F*** you Allison! You're the arrogant b****who thinks your all the rage! I don't need YOU to be telling me anything! YOU started ALL of this with your aggressive ANTI gun stance every damn time I tried to give an opinion about it! Pappy, be realistic. How many of you have gotten June, July, and August totally off every year, for the last eleven years for backpacking? You're telling me that doesn't give me title to say that I "Get out more than the average Joe"? I never mean to say better, just more than the average person! TB