Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Adams Wilderness Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chad

Chad
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 9:34 pm 
I have just moved to the Vancouver, Wa area and wanted to venture out this weekend. I was hoping to head up into the Mt. Adams wilderness area to take in the fall colors and spend a little time exploring. Can anyone recommend a good over night backpacking trip for this area? I am not looking for anything too strenuous or longer than 10 miles just some place that we can get out and enjoy the crisp fall air.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gordy Comer

Gordy Comer
PostTue Sep 30, 2003 10:40 pm 
Indian Heaven Wilderness. You can hike a big figure eight, what a great loop. Try to take the time to climb point 5568. You won't be disappointed.

shoe lady

shoe lady
PostWed Oct 01, 2003 7:20 am 
I spent a week in early September doing dayhikes. Along with Indian Heaven, I would recommend Snow Grass Flats and Killen Creek Meadows. Both have beautiful views of Mt. Adams. If you go to Snow Grass Flats and then on up to Goat Rocks, you get views of not only Mt. Adams, but Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens in the distance. I really liked the South Cascades and want to go back next year for my hiking week.

Life goes on in the shoe
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 1:13 am 
Indian Heaven = lakes. Best IMO later when they are frozen over appx November. Really great place though any time. Pretty rough road to the TR depending on what your driving. You may also consider Trapper Creek, not quite considered Mt Adams but cool just the same and closer to Vancouver.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Callforward

Callforward
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 1:22 pm 
Florida... I'm from the Couv also. Yes, Indian Heaven does = lakes but it also = off trail exploring. Lots of open forest lush meadows. Have you ever been up to the rim or down to the meadow of East Crater? That has to be one of my favorite places. I've never seen the lakes iced over but I was there 2 Novembers ago and saw about 10 hunters, yet no wild critters. Regarding Trapper Creek, I've been up to Observation Pk but not to Soda Peaks Lake. Would you recommend?

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 2:01 pm 
Yes, lots of exploring in IHW. Have not been up to the East Crater yet... I went around Bird Mtn last Nov, two lakes completely frozen over and another partially; ice creaking as the water moved. Really awesome. Passed some hunter's camps but saw none where we were. Haven't been to Soda Lakes. I heard it can be crowded. I'll probably check it out sooner or later.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 2:40 pm 
In the Mt. Adams Wilderness I liked Foggy Flats and another meadowy area to the WSW.

Art is an adventure.
Bob K

Bob K
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 5:04 pm 
When do you guys expect peak colors to hit that area this year?

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 8:13 pm 
I would say within the next week or so.

Callforward

Callforward
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 1:28 pm 
snow level?
I haven't been out lately. Driving home yesterday I got an awesome view of the south side of St. Helens and west side of Hood. Fresh coatings of snow which appears to come down to the timberline. Anybody have any elevations of snow cover right now?

Bob K

Bob K
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 7:31 pm 
Western Washington Weather Warnings usually has snow elevations. Also for SW Washington and NW Oregon. The following maps can also be useful for snowfall, although they don't show total accumulation: last 3 days snowfall, next 3 days predicted snowfall,

mtnrider

mtnrider
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 10:27 pm 
Indian Heaven
The really nice thing about the Indian Heaven Wilderness is that there are a lot of old trails not on the map and they make great exploring. From a packin camp near Junction Lake there are lots of neat loops not on the map. We camped on the edge of a large meadow northwest of the lake. Just sort of followed our nose and pieces of old tread. It's a beautiful place in the fall.