Forum Index > Gear Talk > Water Filters (Recommend buying and steering clear of?)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ritter

Ritter
PostThu Jul 17, 2003 10:49 am 
Field Maintainable?
A question I've always had about the ceramic, "field maintainable" models is how to prevent contamination of the ceramic element while it's out of the filter housing. Granted, I've never used one, but it seems you'd have to rinse the element after scrubbing it. Sounds like contamination, especially if you don't have any filtered water to rinse it with or hand sanitizer to clean the grimes prior to fondling! Ritter

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 17, 2003 3:33 pm 
FWIW, I've read some people use a coffee filter and a rubber band to cover the intake of their system--sort of a "pre-filter". A few small coffee filters and a couple rubber bands wouldn't weigh much and might really extend the life of a disposable filter element or the service interval of a field maintainable ceramic filter element.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 7:17 am 
MSR MIOX PURIFIER "PEN" TO DEBUT FALL OF 2003! MIOX Corporation and Cascade Designs Inc. (CDI) have signed a license agreement to manufacture and distribute the MSR MIOX Purifier to the military and consumer markets. The handheld personal-use water treatment devices will be available for purchase in Fall of 2003 and will be sold through retailers like REI, Campmor, Eastern Mountain Sports, LL Bean, and Cabellas. LINK

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 10:31 am 
What is the technology, kleet? It looks like it may be a UV pen (like Steripen). Never mind, I found it (gotta love Google): The device operates by converting a brine solution to a mixed-oxidant solution via electrolysis. Each Purifier utilizes two 3V lithium camera batteries, a salt pellet and a tiny electrolytic cell. The Purifier will treat approximately 50 liters of water on one salt pellet and 200 liters of water on one set of batteries. The Purifier can be used over and over, making water treatment an inexpensive procedure after the initial purchase. An important feature of using simple salt as the disinfectant source is that salt has an infinite shelf life, so the Purifier will still function even if stored without use for a long period of time. The disinfectant will inactivate a number of common pathogens, including E. coli, Giardia, and Cryptosporidium, as well as chemical and biological warfare agents. The Purifier has passed the EPA Purifier Protocol, achieving more than 10 times the level of disinfection than required for normal waters. I assume they are using CR123 batteries. Those are horrendously expensive (often over $5 each) retail, but can be ordered from www.surefire.com and places that sell high-end CR123 flashlights for $1.25 each. I take CR123s camping anyway. I'll look into this when it comes out. Thanks for posting it kleet smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 10:38 am 
DJ, I recall there was a discussion about the MSR Miox over at TLB. Looks very promising.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jul 23, 2003 10:51 am 
Here's an interesting quote from over there:
Rick_D wrote:
Okay, I registered at the MIOX site to get access to more documentation, answering some of my questions: Weighs 3 ounces, an ounce more than the standard Aqua Mira kit (when full) and is 6 inches long. This document says that it treats 300 liters per battery set. It's claimed to manufacture a form of chlorine similar in use and efficacy to ClO2 and that it leaves no taste. It manufactures the solution in differing concentrations based on user input (one of more button presses for 1/2 to 4 liters of water), which is then poured into the container when the reaction is complete--just like Aqua Mira. You fill the gizmo with water before use; you don't place it in your water container. The reaction takes between 5 seconds and 2 minutes. Water treatment itself takes 15 minutes after you add the solution. Its now clear that the solution concentration you make and how long you allow the treatment to last is user selectable, and can be tailored to water volume, temp and quality. Just like other chemical treatments. Considering it's basically the size and weight of a two-AA flashlight, it's bound to make a splash (sorry). I may park my PUR Hiker yet.
So basically, it looks like a $100 battery-operated Chlorine Dioxide maker. If so, it begs the question--Why not just carry Chlorine Dioxide (AquaMira or Pristine)?

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jul 24, 2003 9:04 pm 
Ritter
On a ceramic filter the water goes from the outside to the inside. When you scrub the filter you are just removing clogged pours. Just keep the outlet clean.