Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What's wrong with WTA?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 4:55 pm 
shakehead.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:07 pm 
Catwoman, don't let mean ol' Quark get you down. I think she's just jealous someone complimented you on your figure at the previous social.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:18 pm 
I don't think it's sour grapes. If you don't want the candy, don't eat the candy. down.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:20 pm 
Stop with the candy candy candy already wink.gif I'm going to have to walk to the vending machine for Peanut M&Ms! clown.gif Maybe we need a new thread and/or poll on airline food...

Quarkk

Quarkk
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:29 pm 
So other than being repelled by my physical appearances on work parties, there are other experiences re trail work, as someone on this thread previously asked for. I have always had a great time, have met great people, and many of them comment that they had no idea how much hard work went into trail building. Many people think trails simply appear if enough people walk on them, and have never understood the functions of some of the structures such as turnpike, puncheon, check steps. It seems folks who volunteer to give their time to manual labor, rolling around in the mud, tossing rocks, sawing logs (not sleeping, I mean really sawing logs), seem to be healthy-minded and happy (well, except for the occasional one shakehead.gif As for rewarding, yes, it is. It's pretty nice to see a nicely brushed trail, or a new re-route, bridge, rock wall, etc at the end of the day. Before and after pictures are always popular, and often proud parents of a rock wall pose in front of their new baby at the end of a day. Hot & hard? Yeah. So...? its fun, it gets your muscles limbered up, and you meet some great folks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:40 pm 
Tom wrote:
Does Oregon have a similar orgainziation?
The Mazamas do alot of trail maintenance/building in Oregon. They are a club though so there are requirements to being a member but not to volunteer.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:45 pm 
marylou wrote:
Well the TM agenda is largely set by the FS.
Assuming there is a committee that organizes trail maintenance within WTA. Is the FS open to requests made by them or does the FS just tell them what trails to maintain? Does the voice of the hiking community come into play at all? PS. Screw the candy, I think they should pick up the tab at the bar afterwards. (just kidding)

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 5:51 pm 
Florida wrote:
marylou wrote:
Well the TM agenda is largely set by the FS.
Assuming there is a committee that organizes trail maintenance within WTA. Is the FS open to requests made by them or does the FS just tell them what trails to maintain? Does the voice of the hiking community come into play at all? PS. Screw the candy, I think they should pick up the tab at the bar afterwards. (just kidding)
I can't answer that. The best places to direct that would be to Greg Ball, Director of Operations for WTA, or Gary Paull, who heads up TM for the MBSNF.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 10:25 pm 
The WTA does trail maintenance on FS, DNR, and county lands, so it isn't exactly fair to claim the TM agenda is driven by the FS. As I understand it, there is some negotiation between WTA and the land manager about which trails will get the volunteer help. The maintenance has to be something the land manager actually wants done, but also has to be something that doesn't turn the volunteers off from coming back. For example, if you have a crew with first-time volunteers, you wouldn't want them driving 4 hours then lugging tools up a 2000 foot climb in the hot sun, even if that's the work the land manager most badly needs. The WTA does have week-long work parties that get farther into the backcountry. I am a member and support the organization. I generally find myself in agreement with the stances it takes. In any case, most of its energy goes into trail maintenance rather than lobbying.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 11:59 pm 
Rich is right. The majority of the work TM WTA does is with the FS, but they work with other agencies too. I was simplyfing because I am a lazy bum. wink.gif

Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostSun Aug 03, 2003 11:44 am 
Florida wrote:
Tom wrote:
Does Oregon have a similar orgainziation?
The Mazamas do alot of trail maintenance/building in Oregon. They are a club though so there are requirements to being a member but not to volunteer.
Not reinforcing any one point of view but thought this might be of interest to some...... http://www.mazamas.org/activities/trail_tending.php They definitely do not support the Fee Demo program.