Forum Index > Trail Talk > Name That Lake...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 4:07 pm 
Kind of reminds me of the tarn above Rock Lake on the way to Panorama but I don't think that's it.

ALW Hiker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 4:07 pm 
That's excellent sleuthing, zimmertr! Your second guess was correct - it is lake / tarn 5245 just north of Malachite Peak's North summit. We accessed it via a very nice gully to the SW of Rock Lake, on our way to camp at the saddle north of Panorama Lake. Here is the full picture I took, which is almost identical to a photo from at least one Rock Lake trip report. It's really quite a beautiful spot, and plenty deep for swimming, despite not having a name.

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 4:38 pm 
Very cool, I've never been before but have had my eye on that area for a couple years. AFAIK the standard route to Panorama lake walks along the shore so maybe I'll visit it this summer smile.gif

ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostMon Mar 04, 2024 4:53 pm 
It's a really great area. You can get to Panorama around either side of Rock Lake - the west route is for those who like rock travel, the east route is a bit spicy in places but has a boot path most of the way up. Hit me up if you want more tips or a partner. I'll be going up there again this year to visit Top Lake, but I am sure it doesn't hold a candle to those others!

RichP, zimmertr
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Mar 05, 2024 7:10 pm 
ALW Hiker wrote:
Heck! I wish I had seen this earlier. Even with the cropping I recognized this small lake. This is one of the few places I've been that I have seen on this thread. This is on the way to Panorama Lake overlook via Rock Lake.
Tom wrote:
Kind of reminds me of the tarn above Rock Lake on the way to Panorama but I don't think that's it.
Wrong Tom, wrong. Because you were right! haha It is that tarn above Rock Lake. I did this several years ago with a hiking buddy who was much more in shape/younger and who generously waited for me to get around some of those boulders. It was very slippery above Rock Lake with moss on the boulders. The views from the overlook were off to Daniel, Hinman, et al in the distance. Great trip. ~z