Forum Index > Gear Talk > GPS justified?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 11:59 am 
UTM is much easier to use when in different countries also. Otherwise you have to use a different setting for each country and frequently each map.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 12:27 pm 
In the winter, I wouldn't go up in the mountains without a GPS. I have been caught too many times in whiteout conditions where the snow has buried my wands and there are absolutely no landmarks to get compass bearings from. Following my saved tracks has helped me get out of more sketchy situations than a compass ever has. I'm not saying that a compass and a GPS are mutually exclusive...take both!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Bob K

Bob K
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 9:01 pm 
What I use most when I'm off-trail: altimeter, compass, GPS. Order of importance to carry: compass, GPS, altimeter. Paper maps (along with non-GPS compasses) are still, of course, mandatory. The tiny little maps on the GPS units are clumsy and difficult to use and pretty much worthless, imo. The GPS navigation feature is potentially useful. You map out the waypoints ahead of time by clicking out a trail on your PC map (or get the waypoints from someone else who has figured them out); then the GPS unit tells you the directions to the next waypoint. GPS and waypoints are bad news for the people who don't like divulging the routes of out-of-the-way scrambles. Accurate waypoints for many of these routes *will* be published in books and on the web. I've been carrying a GPS for about 3 years and it has been useful only a couple times -- at night and when I was completely screwed up and going the wrong way. It's not useful very often; but when it's useful, it's *very* useful.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 10:40 am 
I always carry a compass (never use it) and an altimeter (always use it) with me. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 10:59 am 
Why the biggy about an Altmeter?
It seems most everyone is using an altimeter. I know my gps has one built in but for what purpose do you use your altimeter? I

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 11:08 am 
In the Cascades the altimeter is a very important navigation aid. Because there is so much steep terrain it becomes very easy to locate yourself on a map. You know which rib or hillside or trail you are on, you take the elevation, find that elevation on the map, and you instantly know where you are. In flat areas like the Oregon Cascades, or the valley bottoms we were traveling through in Atlin Park, the altimeter is basically useless, but in the Rockies and the North Cascades it is often the best tool. I travel off trail a lot and it is rare I pull out a compass, but the altimeter is in constant use.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Dante

Dante
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 11:11 am 
Altimeters (barometric or GPS) can be really useful for finding your way onto the more gentle contours on the map. For example, Tom and I used his GPS and my altimeter watch (which were reading pretty close to the same altitude IIRC) to find a little ramp in the steep terrain between Tnemec and Renob lakes. I'm often on or near features I can easily find on a topo, so the altimeter will quickly confirm I am where I think I am. If it doesn't, then I can dig out the compass or GPS...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 11:34 am 
It appears that most of the harder core wankers use altimeters most often. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 11:46 am 
An altimeter makes it easy to figure out where you are on a map by following the contour line to the geographic feature you are at (i.e. ridgeline, gully, creek, etc). GPS alitmeters are more accurate when they get a 3D fix but you may not always have reception. It's usually easier to glance at your altimeter watch and a map.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 11:51 am 
If you have survivalist and/or Luddite tendencies, you can find great deals on ebay from time to time on Thommen mechanical altimeters (no batteries cool.gif ).

HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore
PostThu Dec 11, 2003 7:41 am 
I am guessing those who don't use a GPS don't hike at night, in the fog, in a heavy snow. I hike 12 months a year, day and night, in all kinds of weather. I haven't used UTM. I just plot out the trail on the GPS. Since I have a Topo/map display I can tell quickly where I am. I am going on a two day hike this weekend in the Olympics. I estimate my hike in will start around 6:30pm Friday. I plan on hiking for 5 hours before setting up camp. Just to see how UTM works I will print out a TOPO! map with UTM grid and check my location at rest stops and see if I can figure out where I am on the trail. I am always up for learning new, better, easier ways to do things. Hiking in the Olympics in December. Now that's the beauty of the Great NW. biggrin.gif

HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore
PostThu Dec 11, 2003 7:53 am 
When I added the UTM grid to my TOPO! map I noticed the grid follows very closely some lines/grid already on the map. I am guessing the lines are from the USGS topo maps that were used in the software. What are these lines and why are they there? Any idea if these (already existing) lines can be used instead of UTM? dizzy.gif

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Dec 11, 2003 8:38 am 
Your guess about people not using altimeters in the fog, snow, and dark is incorrect. We've been using altimeters in all those conditions for decades before there was even such a thing as GPS. There is nothing in the conditions you mention that hamper altimeter use. Some USGS maps have a UTM grid. That may be what you are seeing. Which quad are you looking at?

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Dec 11, 2003 9:34 am 
HappyGillmore wrote:
Hiking in the Olympics in December. Now that's the beauty of the Great NW. biggrin.gif
(Thats what the Seattle Press party said.) wink.gif Seriously, the dry winter we had last year had me out on a fair number of nights. I came to value the uniquely inhospitable feel of the woods when you superimpose the night environment on the winter landscape. You get a very valid sense that your surroundings are going to do you no favors with respect to routefinding or even your own survival. So yeah, what you bring in - including GPS - has everything to do with coming back out. Go for it. I've never experienced a good white-out. So the description of your upcoming trip is the first argument I've heard for a GPS unit being more than a useful gadget.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
HappyGillmore

HappyGillmore
PostThu Dec 11, 2003 10:05 am 
Brian, I am headed to 10 mile camp, in the Olympic national forest. N 47 40.572', w 123 12.143'. I think it would be the "Brothers" USGS Quad. I don't know how to get the quad from the software. JimmyMac, I love the Snoopy pix. up.gif