Forum Index > Food & Grub > Grub, what do you pack?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostMon Jul 29, 2002 7:28 am 
brownster, those 13" 'Cuts were caught and cooked in about 1987-88. Very tasty. Was there a ban on fires above 5000' back then? I really don't remember. But I have been known to bend the rules now and then. But not habitually with fires.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
brownster145

brownster145
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 11:28 am 
That would explain it. I don't know about bans back in 87-88 either... But it must have been legal. wink.gif

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 29, 2002 6:24 pm 
To Salish
We bought two meals at the newer ourdoor store in Leavenworth, and my wife just purchased several more meals and their peanut butter and jelly packets form Enertia on the web. Were going to sample some for our upcoming 6 day trip to the Enchantments.

-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 1:10 pm 

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 6:16 pm 
Tea Bags From PCC for Coffee
The tea bags are actually made from muslin and are sold in glass jars along with the bulk teas. Did you ask an employee? Perhaps this description will help. I have purchased the tea bags both at PPC in Kirkland and Issaquah.

-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Jul 30, 2002 9:44 pm 

Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 5:48 am 
Has anyone tried Heater Meals? http://www.heatermeals.com/ I'm thinking about ordering some for short overnights.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 7:03 pm 
Tea Bags from PCC
I carry a small Ziplock Snack Bag and place them in there after I squeeze out every last drop of caffeine. Actually works quite well. I just place the tea bag that has two table spoons of my favorite Starbucks coffee in my insulated mug, pour in the boiling water, place the lid on, and in a few minutes I have an excellent cup of hot coffee. When I'm done, I generally use my plastic dinner spoon and press out the last caffeine for a final concentrated jolt. Teabag in the Ziplock and I'm primed to go!

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostWed Jul 31, 2002 9:37 pm 
Mt. Frank wrote:
Has anyone tried Heater Meals? http://www.heatermeals.com/ I'm thinking about ordering some for short overnights.
Are you wondering how the meals are, or how well the heaters work? I've used these new-fangled MRE heaters ("why, back in my day, ...") .. ahem. Anyway, I've tried 'em a couple times and they work OK. Not too fast, not too much water needed (heater thingy is activated by adding water). Better than trying to heat MRE entree in a pan of water, especially since you can't use the water you heated the entree in for other food, or aren't supposed to, anyway. The "Heater Meals" look like they heat up the same way, with more packaging involved. Didn't look into what was "on the menu" in them. New MRE menus are pretty decent, except for that nasty, pointless vegetarian meal that comes in every case. And of course, the heaters come in new MREs. What the heck happened to my Army, anyway? {insert old man sigh here}

Mt. Frank

Mt. Frank
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 5:34 am 
Mmmmmmmm..... Army food. Anyplace near Seattle where one can buy MREs?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 7:49 pm 
I've tried a couple of Alpine Aire self heating meals. Was adaquate for 2 and tasted pretty good. Rather spendy tho. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu Aug 01, 2002 8:06 pm 
Mt. Frank wrote:
Anyplace near Seattle where one can buy MREs?
Surplus Stores. Gun Shows. There's sometimes a guy at the WAC shows with great deals on cases of MREs. You really shouldn't be paying more than about $6 for individual complete meals or $60 for a case (12). Sometimes you'll bump into 'civilian' complete meals -- that is, not MREs proper, but MRE components packaged together to make a complete meal. Watch those for comparable contents and they may not contain the entree heater unit.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Aug 06, 2002 9:38 pm 
Oatmeal in the morning. Freeze dried or something I've put together earlier then sucked all of the air out of for lunch. Freeze dried for dinner. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 14, 2002 9:46 am 
Brought bag of dehydrated carrots on hike. Hydrated carrots all day in cup. Almost as good as fresh carrots. Brought Lipton Noodles-n-sauce thing and little bag of dried vegetables. Rehydrated vegetables and added to Noodles-n-sauce. As good, and as light as freeze-dried, but for about a buck a person instead of $7. Bought one of those new cheap freeze dried meals, Backpackers Pantry has a new cheap line out. Inedible. Couldn't finish it. Blech. The apple crisp from Mountain House makes a really good breakfast. I think my current favorite breakfast is Cup-o-noodles. They have some really good instant coffee stuff in individual packets at Uwajimaya.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Aug 14, 2002 10:29 am 
BPJ - you need to liven up your menu a little! (no - a lot)