Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heather Pass / Maple Pass Loop 7/12/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 1:46 am 
As previously reported, the trail to Heather Pass is effectively snow free. There are some patches still in the valley bottom if you're heading to Lake Ann. The meadows at Heather Pass itself are just melting out and soggy. The mosquitoes were quite bad in the early morning hours everywhere along the hike. I've seen worse but they kept me moving even with lots of DEET on. Snow patches start shortly after Heather Pass. As soon as it's not entirely clear where the trail is headed, take a right up the snow and go straight to the ridge which forms the very broad Maple Pass. The snow here is a little steep, but not really too bad and not terribly exposed. Ice axe highly recommended for this trip right now. Crampons not required. The trail stays mostly snowy as it follows the ridge up to the high point of the hike. Some previous knowledge or some map reading will be required, but the terrain is open and not too steep, so the whole thing is a pretty casual affair. On the opposite side of the highpoint is a steep snowfield, but it's easy enough to cruise down rubble beside the snow and meet up with the obvious trail. Snowpatches continue to be encountered well into the forest as you descend the ridge, but nothing too steep or confusing. Paved trail to Rainy Lake appears to be totally snow free. I got a very early start on this one (as soon as I could see where I was going), and I actually finished up at 9 AM, without really pushing myself at all. I planned to plop down somewhere up there and read a book for a few hours, but satan's winged minions kept me moving. Actually, there was a reprieve at Maple Pass where there was a bit of a breeze, but I wanted to get up to the high point where there was no breeze and the bugs were terrible. Oh well, still a fantastic hike. I really love this climatic zone which is dry enough for scattered larches, but wet enough for lush meadows and jagged peaks. This is definetely one of the coolest dayhikes in Washington. Where else can you find a seven mile loop trip with scenery this varied and spectacular?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 7:00 am 
It's a goody. We saw our first moose up there October 2004. Magnificent! Black Peak framed by golden trees and white boulders in Heather Pass. Yum!! chow.gif

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 1:43 pm 
Man if you had so much time you shoulda hopped over to Lewis and Wing lakes.

Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostFri Jul 13, 2007 2:31 pm 
Yeah, I thought about it, but only on the way to Black Peak. Unfortunately I'm not nearly as in shape as I usually am at this time of year, so that would have been hell. Also, there's still a lot of snow in that direction (although Lewis was melted out), and I didn't particularly feel like dealing with it. Beautiful lakes though!