Forum Index > Trip Reports > McClellan Peak (Enchantments) 8-17-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 1:37 pm 
The "summer" weather we have been having lately has really been messing with my weekend trip planning......oh well, I'm learning to be more flexible and switch to day trips during the week in order to fulfill my need to get out. With the weekend weather forecast beginning to take a dive (again), ErinB and I decided to bolt up McClellan peak on friday, hoping to sneak in a good weather trip. It worked out pretty well. up.gif Rather than take one of the 'standard' approaches, I convinced Erin that we should take Ingalls creek to Crystal creek for this peak. I attempted to enter the enchantments this way a few years ago, but got rained out. This time I would be in tennis shoes and carrying a very small pack. We left Seattle around 5:15am and arrived at the Ingalls creek trailhead at....well, I don't know what time. It turns out that neither Erin or myself had a watch or altimeter, or anyway to tell the time at all. Not a big deal, overall. We had headlamps and plenty of daylight. We took off up the trail. Erin suggested jogging, which I was already doing to try to keep up with her. I haven't jogged in quite some time (years), so 7.5 miles of it didn't do my body any favors! Anyway, we arrived our turn off at Crystal creek sometime later (?). I don't think Crystal creek is signed, but it is about .5 miles after the sign for cascade creek. We turned uphill just east of the creek, looking for signs of a path. We found bits and pieces of trail here and there, but not much, and never for very long. There are a few cairns as well, but if you follow the creek uphill, you will be heading in the right direction. Eventually, we arrived at the lovely basin at 6,000 feet. It would be great to camp here, but there is no water right now. Maybe in the spring....
electric slide tree
electric slide tree
basin at 6k
basin at 6k
Erin in 6k basin
Erin in 6k basin
pointy
pointy
There is some house sized boulder hopping before reaching this basin, and from the basin up, nothing but talus and boulders all the way to the crystal lake outlet. The way up looked tedious, so we cut up a side gully and didn't go all the way to the outlet on our ascent, which probably didn't save us any time since the gully we chose was very loose and sandy/rocky. Once we could see Crystal lake below us, we began traversing east below the flanks of McClellan Peak. The terrain was bouldery meadows, followed by scree, boulders and more boulders. We dropped down around a couple of hard snow patches, the last one being just west of the prong and the ramp/gully we scrambled up to reach the ridge. From the ridge, the summit is not too far and can be approached in a number of ways. We chose to follow the ridge and then drop over to the south side to avoid a large outcropping. Once we were on the east side of the summit, an easy scramble gains the top.
approaching mac
approaching mac
the prong and gully
the prong and gully
We lounged on top for an hour or so, checking out the views. We briefly considered hitting another peak in the area, but the only one I had left was Colchuck, which Erin had already done. We guessed we didn't have enough time for Argonaut, since our route had taken longer than we anticipated. We also briefly considered dropping down into the upper basin, and descending Aasgard to the Colchuck trailhead. We figured from there, we might be able to beg a ride back to the ingalls creek trailhead. This would avoid having to descend all the boulders + 7.5 miles of trail at the end, but it was also taking quite a risk.
fantasia pond
fantasia pond
chants 3
chants 3
Little A
Little A
chants 2
chants 2
chants
chants
In the end, we decided to just go back the way we came, sigh. This time we dropped to the Crystal lake outlet before starting down. The descent wasn't as bad as we anticipated, although I was able to somehow lead us down the wrong side of the creek doh.gif This resulted in a nice little 500ft schwack through fern and giant fireweed to reach the Ingalls creek trail.
looking back up on the way down
looking back up on the way down
Crystal creek route 8-17-07
Crystal creek route 8-17-07
I requested that we refrain from jogging the trail on the way out biggrin.gif Made it to the car well before headlamp time. Although it was fun to take a different approach into the enchantments, I wouldn't consider this route to be any faster - just different and interesting with guaranteed solitude. This would be a great spring ski approach! Notes: We both brought crampons, but were able to skirt below remaining snow patches, so they were unnecessary. Don't count on water on this route as the creek goes under boulders before the 6,000ft basin and doesn't resurface until 200 feet below the outlet of the lake. Stats (I'm guessing here) 22mi. r/t 6,000 +

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 pm 
Damn! up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 1:51 pm 
eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif You're both insane.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
silence

silence
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 2:15 pm 
NOT TOO SHABBY ... you guys blow my mind!! up.gif up.gif up.gif Awesome views of the chants -- seldom shared -- thanks big time!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 2:15 pm 
up.gif Crystal Creek is a dry dry dry approach. hockeygrin.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 3:10 pm 
6000 feet of boulder hopping in tennis shoes? And you quit after only one lousy peak? Dicey, WHY ARE YOU SO MEGA FREAKING LAME?? That's a cool approach though. Next time I go to the Enchantments I might actually try it. Were there any places to camp along Crystal Creek before the water went under the boulders? Or is there basically nothing between Ingalls Creek and Crystal Lake?

don b

don b
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 3:18 pm 
Hey Dicey, Second peak this year that I was a day behind you. I came in over Aasgard and hit several peaks. It was the lightest I've traveled this year including ditching the zip off pants for a pair of old school running shorts (I've got red upper thighs to prove it!). The freedom of those shorts was unbelievable. By the way, Crystal Creek is also a fun way to ski in the winter.

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 3:54 pm 
J - Sorry about my lameless, must be getting 'old' or something. Camping at the basin (6k) would be great earlier in the season. This time of year you would need to haul water up. There isn't really much else. Don - You can bet I was daydreaming of all those boulders covered in lovely white snow, and me with my skis on... agree.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 4:57 pm 
What an incredibly awesome hike! I'd love to follow your footsteps (once I can be assured I'm physically UP for 20+ miles in a day...)

gyngve

gyngve
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 5:16 pm 
Thanks for the beta on the lack of water in that basin... I've thought about that approach and camp as a legal way to do the 'Chants permitless for multiple days...

summitseeker

summitseeker
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 7:26 pm 
Spectacular!!! That's a hell of a day. I've linked to your TR from my website as well.

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 9:16 pm 
gyngve wrote:
Thanks for the beta on the lack of water in that basin... I've thought about that approach and camp as a legal way to do the 'Chants permitless for multiple days...
That ain't legal. If you're camping in the Enchantments Zone, you need a permit, no matter where you came from. If a ranger catches you up there camping without a permit, she'll give you a ticket even if you were parked at Ingalls Creek.

ErinB

ErinB
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 9:38 pm 
Dicey - That electric slide tree is awesome! Don B – I’m with you regarding the freedom of shorts – so worth the scratches! And seriously, the splendor of the basin more than compensates for the flat (ugh!) approach and tedious boulder fields, though I didn't seem to notice on the way up! So thank you for the route choice, Dicey!

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 pm 
Nice pics of the lakes from a different angle on McClellan. I think this is the second report for the Chants via Crystal Creek this year. I predict it will be the new most-used previously little-used approach at nwhikers. So many interesting lines pop out of this report.
dicey wrote:
It turns out that neither Erin or myself had a watch or altimeter, or anyway to tell the time at all.
Oh, what a happy-go-lucky carefree pair you are.
dicey wrote:
Erin suggested jogging, which I was already doing to try to keep up with her.
I don’t know what surprises me least, that Erin suggested jogging, or that Dicey could do it.
dicey wrote:
I requested that we refrain from jogging the trail on the way out.
What, no more jogging? Couldn’t you have tried hopping? Skipping? Maybe cartwheels? How lazy of you.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 20, 2007 10:19 pm 
There is a dim idea rattling around in my head, much like a bb in an empty tin can, that there is a human being named Erin who is faster than Dicey. Why does my head hurt?