Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip Reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 11:13 pm 
Wildernessed and Layback - you two are masters of irony! Well done.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wbs

wbs
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 pm 
Quote:
Boulder River TR's
We need more Quark pics of shrooms on the BR trail hockeygrin.gif up.gif As for the subject of this thread, I click around the spectrum of TR section and absorb it like a sponge. standard fare trail reports: to see the current conditions in more of a story form than the 'just the facts' format of wta. Maybe give me an idea of someplace I might wish to go and have never been (aka crystal ball mode). Read about someones experience in a place I may have already been, but from another persons perspective or season. epics in the spirit of all inclusive peakbags, offtrail devils club bushwhacks, river fording, moat / crevass negotiating, high angle vertical 'hiking'. I like to read these too, because they give a glimpse into some of the things I would never manage to do myself. Or perhaps, "hey I can do that" or "no way that's insane!". The triumphs shared by of those skilled to go to their limit should be shared for other's to admire. an in all report formats, subject and content; the photography! That shows truely how many skilled folks are out there snapping the shutter from a remote place. You can be at your keyboard and imagine your there as the sun drops over that ridge casting an orange glow on the vast landscape and you slip back into your downsleeping bag on that slab of granite....

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 pm 
I agree with Karen, I think I'd like to see it split into 2 sections. Also, Scrooge's post on page 1 is damned good. When I first stumbled across NWHikers, years ago, I ended up never posting, and eventually wandered away. The reason for this was that it seemed like 3/4 of the trip reports were multi-day, off-trail, scrambles, technical climbs, etc. Very few were what I was doing at the time (and am still doing): hikes on maintained trails, usually found by reading and rereading 100 Hikes books (and others). No one came out and said "You aren't welcome here", but I definitely thought it was catering more towards people who tend to do 20 mile, 5000' days. Eventually, I ended up wandering back, grabbed a new username, and joined in. I think it has gotten a little more diverse in posts, but you still don't see a lot of "just hikes". I know that I've been reluctant to post my TRs, simply because it just seems ... I dunno... boring... to put my report of wandering down the Iron Goat Trail one afternoon next to SuperMountainTrailRunner's report about the 5 day trip from Alpental, over the top of Daniel, to the top of Index, rappelling down, carving a quick kayak out of a fallen log, then rowing to Stehekin. wink.gif If we did split them into two, I'd still read both (in fact, I really enjoy the 'epics'... this site was where I first saw Grebeci[1], and to this day it's on my "life list"), but I'd definitely feel more inclined to post my TRs from more casual hikes. --Gray

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 3:24 pm 
Tom wrote:
Quote:
I've yet to see a logical reason as to why not
Adding a new forum accomplishes little (people would read both anyway) and it only makes it more difficult to search (the split is arbitrary in many cases). I've yet to see a logical reason as to why.
Sorry, but I think you had you mind made up as soon as you read the topic. It seems to me the people who are most vocal about keeping it "all in one", are the people who post nothing but epic off-trail reports. /shrug As I said in my first response, when I first came across the site, the amount of climbing TRs basically drove me away. It definitely didn't feel very "hiker" friendly. I can't be the only one. I was just lucky enough to come back after that first trial. Giving new hikers, and very casual hikers a bit of encouragement can only help the site, and the community in general. --Gray

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 3:27 pm 
mcganahan skejellyfetti wrote:
I was out on the trail yesterday reflecting on what lame thread this is. Not the responses so much as the attitude of the poster that started it. There should only be 1 TR forum. What I read in the original post is that someone is envious of other people getting to do epic climbs. Hey, if it bothers you that much don't read the TR! Or go the Partners/Trips forum and organize the same trip and write your report when you get back.
Perhaps you should re-read the original post, perhaps with less of a snotty better-than-thou attitude? --Gray

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 3:29 pm 
Gray wrote:
Giving new hikers, and very casual hikers a bit of encouragement can only help the site, and the community in general.
Yes, indeed! My suggestion is to heap kudos on the type of reports you'd like people to feel comfortable posting. Keep them high on the page with repeated chatter about how nice a hike and/or report that was, and people will get the idea that it's OK to post more of the same. Creating an "easier trip ghetto" won't necessarily be nearly as effective at encouraging folks.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 4:03 pm 
I am in favor of leaving it the way it is. I like what goats said on page 5 of this thread.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 4:22 pm 
I like how it is done currently with trip reports. Its like a eating a hamburger. You get the bun, hamburger, catsup, mustard, lettuce, and tomato all in one bite. If you split up the trip reports, it would be like eating a hamburger by each of the pieces. Like first you eat the bun, then you eat the hamburger, then the catsup.....

Art is an adventure.
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 5:06 pm 
Gray wrote:
It seems to me the people who are most vocal about keeping it "all in one", are the people who post nothing but epic off-trail reports.
I like it "all in one" and I post nothing but on-trail reports (about 3 backpacks a year, that's all I have time for anymore). Basically ditto.gif what Quark said a few pages back.

PostTue Jul 15, 2008 8:08 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Its like a eating a hamburger. You get the bun, hamburger, catsup, mustard, lettuce, and tomato all in one bite.
She didn't suggest 6 categories for reports. Only 2. Your analogy doesn't work. Obviously it hasn't ruined the site to have TRs of Mason Lake and a scramble of Mt Baring categorized similarly- but they are not the same experience. They are as different as Stewardship/History or Gear/Photo. Oh look. A precedent.

antje23

antje23
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 8:26 pm 
I think for me, I don't want to infringe upon the "been there, done that". For example, I did Bandera this last Sunday and for most people that would bring about a big redface.gif. But for me, it was a good accomplishment, as I've been in a semi-gimp like state for many years. So I can see having a split between "everyday hikes" and "epics". I'd read the TR's either way. (i.e. I am not screaming on either side of the argument)

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 8:48 pm 
After several years of observing poster behavior here, I predict doom and gloom if we have to designate our TR's to some sort of category. Look at the bickering just in this thread about it all. We really don't need a bunch of civilian post police deciding where our TR's should end up and that's exactly what would happen should anyone put their TR in the wrong spot. My brilliant solution is this: If people want to categorize their TR's, do it in the title. If not, don't. That way those that really need the world to see how epic their trip was can use whatever words they want to categorize their hikes. Then all the folks needing an "epic" "off trail" hike can use those terms in the "title" search box. I've always wanted a little more info in the titles anyways, like MRNP, NCas, SCas, Olys, E. Wa, blood sucking bugs etc... edit: especially with trails with duplicate names like HEATHER LAKE, SNOW LAKE, RED MOUNTAIN ETC... Pulling from the first page of TR's today, here are examples of what I (an average hiker person who doesn't always remember where every freaking mountain is) think are useful (what, where and when) and even amusing titles: Jumpin' Jupiter - Hot Time in the Olympics 07-12-08 Comet Falls (MRNP) 7/12/08 Chelan Sawtooths, Battle to Star to Oval 6/30-7/2 ruth mountain north cascades 7/12-13/08 Constance Pass ONP - 7/12 My

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Nuhights

Nuhights
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 9:24 pm 
As a hiker, scrambler, backpacker, climber, snowshoer, and BC skier throughout the year, I find the TR's at this site to be super informative and full of great new ideas(throughout the year). After climbing in the Cascades for the past decade and looking for new adventure ideas, the TR forum at NWhikers is where I go to find new ideas and news places to journey to. Thank You NWHikers TR Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 9:41 pm 
MC wrote:
I've always wanted a little more info in the titles anyways, like MRNP, NCas, SCas, Olys, E. Wa, blood sucking bugs etc...
I put a vague title on my last trip report on purpose. Putting a location not near Seattle (especially a Canadian one) is an instant thread killer.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Jul 15, 2008 10:05 pm 
We need two categories; 1) Bikini hikes 2) Everything else