Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip Reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 2:31 pm 
Okay, I return to my original belief that one forum for trip reports is enough. Maybe even too many, PiB's list of types of trips, however, seems incomplete. What about all the various categories of bushwhacking? And should Quark be on there somewhere?

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Secret Beta 007
Pond, James Pond

Secret Beta 007
Pond, James Pond
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 2:34 pm 
Henry Ford wrote:
Personally I find 99% of all trip reports boring and rarely read the text.
If you rarely read the text then how do you know that they are boring? suuure.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 3:29 pm 
Quark does deserve her own forum, whatever she is posting about. wink.gif Crosscut saws, flowers, her lousy friends, etc. clown.gif I for one am glad that supermen like Tom post this Picket TR for us mere mortals to read.

PostSun Jul 13, 2008 9:50 pm 
Quote:
If you rarely read the text then how do you know that they are boring?
I read TRs in various venues for quite some time. Now I just enjoy the photos. ok?
Quote:
I for one am glad that supermen like Tom post this Picket TR for us mere mortals to read.
That falls into the 1% I read. I liked the photos best though. up.gif Back on topic, with the enormous popularity this site enjoys, is it really so far out to suggest two categories for TRs as Karen did? One section for climbs / off trail trips and one for trail hikes, that the poster can choose. There's nothing complicated about it. I see almost no connection between a climb of Bonanza and a hike to Lake 22. Seems like a logical segregation to me.

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 10:10 pm 
Quote:
8) hikes with: e. dicey
ykm.gif rotf.gif up.gif Hey folks get over it. rolleyes.gif lets not mess with the comfort and diversity of TRs on this site. we are unique. WHY mess with a good thing? If you don't like it then don't friggen read it. BTW lots and lots of folks from all those other sites lurk and get tons of beta from us.

PostSun Jul 13, 2008 11:03 pm 
Tazz wrote:
lets not mess with the comfort and diversity of TRs on this site. WHY mess with a good thing?
Because climbing and hiking are not synonymous. One section for climbs and one for hikes wouldn't "mess" with anything. rolleyes.gif I've yet to see a logical reason as to why not or what the relation is between hiking to Barclay Lake and a climb of Shuksan? They are as different as Stewardship and History - if not more.
Quote:
BTW lots and lots of folks from all those other sites lurk and get tons of beta from us.
lol.gif doh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2008 11:14 pm 
Quote:
I've yet to see a logical reason as to why not
Adding a new forum accomplishes little (people would read both anyway) and it only makes it more difficult to search (the split is arbitrary in many cases). I've yet to see a logical reason as to why.

rossb

rossb
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 4:56 pm 
Trip Report Info
I read the trip reports looking for three things: 1) Snow levels or flower information 2) Specific trail information 3) An interesting story or nice pictures The weird thing is, 1 and 3 often conflict. If I have a specific hike in mind, I'll start by looking for that trail in particular (by searching). If I don't have anything for this year, I'll look through the reports and try to find snow levels for that area. The thing is, a long (and sometimes interesting) report often gets in the way of gathering snow or flower information. I would like to see a new section dedicated to just that. People would put in very terse information and then maybe refer back to their larger report. For example: [Something Mountain Trail]: Patchy snow starting at 4,000 feet. Solid at 4,400 feet except bare patches on exposed ridges (including top, at 6,000). More info at www.nwhikers.net/... or maybe: [Pretty Meadows Trail]: Snow is patchy. Avalanche Lilies are out, but other flowers are yet to bloom. I think this information would be extremely helpful to me, while still retaining the fun and diversity of all the great reports. Of course, this information would be rough (I would imagine the terse flower reports would be very rough) but it would still be helpful.

jasonracey

jasonracey
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm 
I was out on the trail yesterday reflecting on what lame thread this is. Not the responses so much as the attitude of the poster that started it. There should only be 1 TR forum. What I read in the original post is that someone is envious of other people getting to do epic climbs. Hey, if it bothers you that much don't read the TR! Or go the Partners/Trips forum and organize the same trip and write your report when you get back.

touron

touron
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 5:12 pm 
How about all sasquatch reports go in one area. We could call it the Banana Split! banana.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.

PostMon Jul 14, 2008 7:47 pm 
mcganahan skejellyfetti wrote:
I was out on the trail yesterday reflecting on what lame thread this is. Not the responses so much as the attitude of the poster that started it. There should only be 1 TR forum. What I read in the original post is that someone is envious of other people getting to do epic climbs. Hey, if it bothers you that much don't read the TR! Or go the Partners/Trips forum and organize the same trip and write your report when you get back.
The originator of this thread did Jack in a day and has spent infinitely more time in the mountains in the past 20 some years than 95% of the people on this site. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it. rolleyes.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 7:55 pm 
Keep it simple [fill in the blank]. And remember to heap praise on reports that exhibit the qualities you would like to see more of, including nice writing about a mellow but broadly accessible route. Operant conditioning tends to work! (he said, now almost feeling bad about posting on a snowy trip up Vesper that included some steep snow travel from this weekend but not yet getting to that intended post about the prior weekend's lovely and casual hike up Iron which was full of wonderful flowers - due to work getting in the way of the time to process those flower pics I'd like to share...)

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 8:47 pm 
I thought this thread was dead. nopity.gif I can't believe I even clicked on it. Talk about a waste of text.

PostMon Jul 14, 2008 8:58 pm 
Layback wrote:
I thought this thread was dead. nopity.gif I can't believe I even clicked on it. Talk about a waste of text.
You must never have read the Stewardship forum. This is different because..... it's just crazy to suggest a TR section for climbs and one for hikes. dizzy.gif You are a climber right? tongue.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 14, 2008 9:07 pm 
Layback wrote:
Yeah, someone needs to put a stake through the heart of this thread. gag.gif eck.gif strange.gif bugeyes.gif eyes.gif flush.gif flush.gif flush.gif flush.gif flush.gif

Living in the Anthropocene