Forum Index > Trip Reports > Slide Mtn SF, Racehorse Falls near Kendall conditions 5/26
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon May 26, 2008 7:08 pm 
Drove up toward Slide Mtn today to see the mega log pile over the road on S-1000, see where the snowline is at (for purposes of XC skiing) and hike to Racehorse Falls. The mega log pile used to be in a partial cut at about 2200 feet. It's history. DNR recently clearcut the area and the road is open. A state game warden said he was able to drive to 2300 feet on the west side of the clearcut. It was good to see a game warden on patrol. up.gif I hit the snowline at about the same elevation just beyond the uphill/south side of the new huge clearcut. Wow, snow down low for late May! Hopefully, Slide Mtn's 4000+ foot ridge will be good XC skiing. On the drive down saw a pickup loaded with downhill mountain bikers heading up. They've built a number of trails in the area on their own initiative. They've put in logs and jumps. They get a truck ride to the top then ride down toward the North Fork Nooksack. The trail to Racehorse Falls was recently brushed out a bit. No new tread work though. Racehorse Falls was raging! The mist felt good.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message