Forum Index > Trip Reports > Unleashed on the Olympic Peninsula; June 11-12, 2008
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 9:35 pm 
My dad had a few sites to visit on the Olympic Peninsula. He brought me along to navigate. We managed to get some hiking in between site visits too. Here's my version of what happened: Dad's first stop was in Olympia. He had to walk up a spiral stairwell around a water tower and collect a paint chip sample. I stayed in the car and napped.
From Olympia he drove to Hoquiam to stop by some office and pick up a key. I thought he had enough keys already, but I guess he needed this one too. From Hoquiam he drove to Humptulips, then turned off the highway. There was a gate, but his new key unlocked it! From there he drove up a bumpy road to another site visit. I got to run around here and played in the grass while he did his site inspection.
Playing in the grass
Playing in the grass
From there it was a short drive to the south shore of Lake Quinalt. We took a little stroll on portions of the Quinalt Loop Trail system. I got to see my first rainforest. Apparently there are more that I cannot go to being a dog. It was peaceful, so I refrained from barking on this hike. mum.gif
Peaceful trail
Peaceful trail
Lake Quinalt Lodge
Lake Quinalt Lodge
After our short stroll we took a drive to this sign:
Dad had to get out and see this. I said "It's 3 miles away" to which he replied, "Don't you see the decimal point before the 3?" Math was not my strong suit in obedience school. dizzy.gif We arrived at the tree to see another group enjoying it too.
After that we continued north on Highway 101. we caught fleeting glimpses of the Pacific Ocean, and dad pulled over at Ruby Beach. This is one of the few beaches in the National Park that dogs are allowed. I was about to run down the trail, but dad leashed me up. He can read the signs better than me. It was my second time to the ocean, and I thought I could see Japan in the distance.
I see it dad
I see it dad
At this sign I wanted to go left, but dad said, "It's logs, not dogs."
We took the new trail to the beach.
Fresh meets salt
Fresh meets salt
Drifters
Drifters
What was that?
What was that?
Goodbye Ruby Beach
Goodbye Ruby Beach
From Ruby Beach we drove to Forks. Dad stopped at Sully's for a burger. He must have been really hungry because he ate the whole thing without giving me a bite. chow.gif frown.gif I did get some dog treats though. Our drive continued until a turnoff for the Kloshe Nanitch Lookout. Dad had a site visit about a half mile further up the road from the lookout. The 7 miles to the lookout was a muddy, bumpy ride. I was unable to get any napping done during this part of the drive. We got to the lookout and stopped for a few minutes.
Jasper reflected in TH sign
Jasper reflected in TH sign
Kloshe Nanitch Lookout
Kloshe Nanitch Lookout
We walked the last half mile to dad's site visit as there was snow on the road and several trees blown down over it too. We ended up staying the night in Port Angeles. Dad had dinner at a nice Thai restaurant, but he forgot to give me some of his food again. Instead, I got dog food. Again. rolleyes.gif Thursday morning was nice and sunny in Port Angeles. As we drove through Sequim, I told dad that Kiefer and Rowena were here. He told me that even if he knew what house they lived in, their dad would not be awake this early zzz.gif I was drifting off for another nap when dad turned onto another gravel logging road. I just can't sleep through these gravel roads mad.gif We passed through one open gate when suddenly we stopped. A flatbed truck and excavator were blocking our progress. Dad got out to talk to them, and they said they would be moving in a few minutes. He let me out to play with their dog Grizzly.
This smells good!
This smells good!
Eventually we headed back up into the fog, past another gate (dad had this key too!) and another site visit. It was a foggy hilltop with several radio antennas. Boring stuff if you ask me. After that visit, dad asked if I wanted to hike up Mt. Zion. I had seen that Kiefer and Rowena had been there recently, so I said yes. It was short but steep enough to make my dad sweat. Here's what we saw:
Mt. Townsend
Mt. Townsend
Grey Wolf Ridge
Grey Wolf Ridge
Last obstacle before the top
Last obstacle before the top
With Soapy on the summit
With Soapy on the summit
After Mt. Townsend, he was going to drive up Mt. Walker, but I suggested we hike it instead. It was a good choice. The rhododendrons are blooming here!
I thought I saw Slugman, but it was just his smaller cousin
Not Slugman
Not Slugman
Another summit:
With Soapy on Mt. Walker
With Soapy on Mt. Walker
I fell asleep again as we headed to Kingston and the ferry ride back. After we got home, dad cleaned up as I took another well deserved nap. Shortly afterwards he woke me up and took me to TNAB where I saw Kiefer and Rowena, as well as Digger, Mazzy, Kona and Tokul. Oh, and a bunch of humans too. What a fun 2 days! agree.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 9:47 pm 
what a wonderful trip, jasper! up.gif your dad must be a gem to bring you along to the olympic peninsula! biggrin.gif i should have given him my phone number because dinner at the thai restaurant is right up my alley. hungry.gif sorry you only got doggie food! down.gif thanks for sharing your fantastic trip with us agree.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 10:14 pm 
Excellent TR Jasper agree.gif up.gif you saw a lot in two days cool.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Schmidt Alti-Kief
Miss Shakes-A-Lot

Schmidt Alti-Kief
Miss Shakes-A-Lot
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 pm 
Sorry we missed you when you were in Sequim but you're dad was right. My humans almost never let us out of our sleeping caves before 9:30AM (and then we sleep in the big blanket fort with mommy for another few hours).

It's all about comfort.....plush toys, down bedspreads.....deep down I'm just a pillow hog.
Schmidt Alti-Row
The Alpha

Schmidt Alti-Row
The Alpha
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 10:31 pm 
It was nice to see you at Putrid Pete's Peak. I was even nice to you for a change but you were too busy trying to bully Kona to notice mad.gif !

If it's small and furry and moves, I must kill it.
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jun 13, 2008 11:20 pm 
Jasper, you're a lucky dog.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com