Forum Index > Food & Grub > what's your favorite energy/snack bar?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Jul 01, 2008 11:45 pm 
I'm looking for a good bar to provide a boost to accommodate my lunch while on the trail. I hate cliff bars, so I'm looking for a few good alternatives. What are your favorites?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 1:44 am 
ProBars. Any flavor. They're awesome - a bit pricey and difficult to find, but very tasting and filling. http://theprobar.com/

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 4:45 am 
Snickers. They satisfy.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 5:17 am 
What Dane said - Probar! the Whole Berry Blast is my fave. They are expensive, so I save 'em for "special" trips. PCC has them on sale for $2.99/bar right now thru the end of July. They also have a few more calories than a Clif bar. Larabar is nice for a snack, as well as the Clif Nectar bar in cherry pomegranante or the one in the yellow/brown wrapper. (Nothing like a regular clif bar). Pemmican bar in coconut/almond is good for a quick breakfast bite, we find these quite filling.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 6:24 am 
TeeJay had the right idea, only I prefer PayDay, 250 calories in a 1.85 oz bar (470 calories in the 3.4 oz size(different ratio of peanuts to caramel) and they don't melt (just get a little sticky). They're also candy bar cheap. When I'm hiking I really don't feel like I need to worry about "nourishment", just energy. I can get my multivitamins at home, lots cheaper (and about as tasty) as anything in the Power Bar field. hmmm.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 6:46 am 
PayDay, Bit O'Honey, and Cliff Bar's Mojo line. up.gif All are yummy, and heat resistant.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 7:21 am 
Mmmmmm...Chocolate Avalanche Paydays bars lol.gif Of all the "bars" I like Luna Tea Cakes ok. Probars are good as well. I'd prefer a avocado though biggrin.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
grasshopper

grasshopper
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 7:43 am 
Maybe I'm weird but I like Clif bars. Bannana bread and blueberry crisp are both very good.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 am 
grasshopper wrote:
Maybe I'm weird
You are. lol.gif That is why we like you lol.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 8:43 am 
King size Snickers packed next to my ice cold hydration bladder so they dont melt.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 8:51 am 
When it comes to energy bars, I look for the ones with high protein content, and eat them for breakfast on the trail. Twisted is one that I recently found at Costco that is yummy, that is, until I read the ingredients one day in camp. Apparently the protein comes from Hydrolyzed Fish Gelatin (from Cod). Now we just call them "sugared cod sticks." tongue.gif The most satisfying "snack", I think, is still the old standby of nuts and dried fruit. Buy nuts and dried fruit in bulk, and prepare Ziplock baggies full of em. Relatively cheap and gives you a proper balance of instant energy (glucose) as well as protein & fat for sustained energy.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 9:58 am 
I'm limited by needing gluten and dairy free stuff, so here's my hippie-list: ClifNectar Bars ThinkGreen or ThinkOrganic Bars Alpsnack bars BumbleBars (lots of seeds, though... not too many of these on a backpacking trip :-o) Oskri Bars those are the ones I remember off the top of my head that I really like. smile.gif

grasshopper

grasshopper
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 10:03 am 
sarbar wrote:
grasshopper wrote:
Maybe I'm weird
You are. lol.gif That is why we like you lol.gif
moon.gif wink.gif lol.gif biggrin.gif

Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 10:14 am 
I'd go with the giant "nut roll" that you can get at Sportman's Warehouse. They're just like a payday bar but much better. Very tasty, and hard to really melt. 2nd favorite is the key lime or lemon Luna bar. I'm not a big fan of energy bars, but these 2 are my favorite. Not an energy bar, but I do love Erin's breakfast cookies -- double chocolate chunk, oatmeal raisin, and the apple ones are my favorite.

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Jul 02, 2008 10:53 am 
I like the ThinkThin bars and the Kashi bars up.gif and this thing they sell at Freddies' organic section.... almond and coconut combo bar, I don't remember what it's called dizzy.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss