Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tripping the Larch Fantastic 10/11-12/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 3:02 am 
Originally I had wanted to climb Black Peak, figuring the views and colors up there would be outstanding at this time of year. Fortunately my hiking partner for the weekend brought up the fact that it had been snowing a fair amount the week before. Rainy Pass didn't get it's name because it's drier than your average pass. With thoughts of crossing boulder fields covered with snow, and taking my partner's gimpy knee into consideration we discussed our alternatives. We wanted to see Larches, lots of Larches if possible. The Golden Lakes loop was out as there just wasn't enough time. We even ruled out just visiting one of the lakes in that area as the 5 hour drive really eats into hiking time on the weekend and he'd just been up at Upper Eagle Lake over Labor Day. So, it was down to Horseshoe Lake or Larch Lakes. I wanted to take Jack along so Larch Lakes it was. The weather forecast was for sunny both days, and we all know how that turned out. We arrived at the Entiat River trailhead right about 10 AM. Everything was still frozen solid, it was pretty darned cold, but we'd expected that. There were several horse trailers at the trailhead and one outfitter loading up a string of mules while his customers saddled up their horses. They were going to be up for a week, which means they're still up there getting rained or snowed on as I type. We set a brisk pace on the flat and rather boring first few miles of the Entiat trail. But what's this?
I spy Larches high on a snow covered ridge in the distance.
I spy Larches high on a snow covered ridge in the distance.
A little further on we got our first good view of Garland Peak.
The anticipation is building.
The anticipation is building.
We arrived at Myrtle Lake where it was now quite warm. What an inviting camp spot, I bet it's mobbed in the summer.
The snow above is just a hint of what's to come.
The snow above is just a hint of what's to come.
We took the trail up to Cow Creek Meadows and began the steep climb to the ridge.
Our first Larch encounter, surprisingly low down.
Our first Larch encounter, surprisingly low down.
By about halfway up to Cow Creek Meadows the trail was consistently snow covered.
By about halfway up to Cow Creek Meadows the trail was consistently snow covered.
Views like this really got me itching to get up high.
Views like this really got me itching to get up high.
Crossing Cow Creek just before the meadows.
Crossing Cow Creek just before the meadows.
Jack assesses the lone Larch guarding the entrance to Cow Creek Meadows.  Just how big *are* the fangs on that thing?
Jack assesses the lone Larch guarding the entrance to Cow Creek Meadows. Just how big *are* the fangs on that thing?
We stopped in the meadow for lunch, watering up, and a short rest before tackling the 1500 ft. climb up to the ridge below Fifth of July Mt.
Spring near the entrance to the meadow.
Spring near the entrance to the meadow.
After a brief rest it was back on the trail, a pretty relentlessly steep trail that was becoming increasingly snow covered though easy to follow as a couple of hikers and someone on a horse had been this way since the last snowfall.
Looking back down on Cow Creek Meadow.
Looking back down on Cow Creek Meadow.
A lone Larch on a rocky outcropping.
A lone Larch on a rocky outcropping.
Garland Peak showing off it's raiment of yellow in the afternoon light.
Just below the ridge we began to see that we would indeed get plenty of Larchy goodness on this trip.
First Larch grove we encountered.
First Larch grove we encountered.
The views over the Entiat valley and to surrounding peaks were often spectacular.
Borealis Ridge, Pinnacle Mt. behind it, and Brushy Creek.
Borealis Ridge, Pinnacle Mt. behind it, and Brushy Creek.
In the more sheltered areas the snow was pretty deep, drifting to a foot or more in places.
In the more sheltered areas the snow was pretty deep, drifting to a foot or more in places.
A view up Brushy Creek, over Milham Pass, to a distant peak in the Sawtooth Range.
A view up Brushy Creek, over Milham Pass, to a distant peak in the Sawtooth Range.
We decided to camp on a spur of the ridge just above Larch Lakes rather than descend all the way down to them this evening. It was getting a little late and the camp spot we found was pretty spectacular, likely better views than anything we would find down at the lake.
The view down to Upper Larch Lake from our camp spot.  Look at that, it's got a bunch of ice & snow on it, and look at all those Larches!  Ya know, temps were in the 80s up here just about 10 days ago...
The view down to Upper Larch Lake from our camp spot. Look at that, it's got a bunch of ice & snow on it, and look at all those Larches! Ya know, temps were in the 80s up here just about 10 days ago...
And what's with all the clouds rushing in from the Northeast? Since when do clouds move in from the Northeast? This was the last good picture I got before the clouds put the kibosh on the evening light and any hopes of Larches in the Alpenglow.
There were lots of critter tracks in the snow near our camp.  This one looks like rabbit (???) to me.
There were lots of critter tracks in the snow near our camp. This one looks like rabbit (???) to me.
We were both tired so after eating a meal we hit the sack about 8:45 or so. The temps had dropped down into the mid to low 20s but fortunately there was very little wind. I woke up at one point in the night to the sound of rain or snow and the next morning everything was wet. My partner's thermometer said it was 30 degrees but given that my tent was covered in water, not ice, and the ground was wet and no longer frozen and the snow was getting wet and heavier too, I'd bet it was above freezing. I had wanted to get up before dawn and catch the sunrise but there was no point with the cloud cover, so I slept in instead. The cloud cover made for some interesting light.
Garland Peak in the morning from camp.
Garland Peak in the morning from camp.
Bill waiting for me to get my gear all packed up. We figured we'd take a leisurely jaunt back to the car and hope the weather cleared before we got too far.
Bill waiting for me to get my gear all packed up. We figured we'd take a leisurely jaunt back to the car and hope the weather cleared before we got too far.
The clouds certainly looked like they might burn off eventually as the sun would occasionally poke through and set the larches on fire.
The clouds certainly looked like they might burn off eventually as the sun would occasionally poke through and set the larches on fire.
I walked down the spur a ways beyond our camp and got this peekaboo view to lower Larch Lake:
Look at the sun lighting up the Larch patches on the ridge across the valley.
Look at the sun lighting up the Larch patches on the ridge across the valley.
Fifth of July Mt.
Fifth of July Mt.
Descending through Larch paradise to Larch Lakes.
Descending through Larch paradise to Larch Lakes.
Holy cow, more and more Larches!
Holy cow, more and more Larches!
Jack taking in a view.
Jack taking in a view.
Downin the upper Larch Lake bowl.  Look at the size of that Larch!  I wonder how old it is?
Downin the upper Larch Lake bowl. Look at the size of that Larch! I wonder how old it is?
The colors down here were just mind-blowing.
The colors down here were just mind-blowing.
Everywhere you looked, golden trees and here, some red blueberry bush.
Everywhere you looked, golden trees and here, some red blueberry bush.
Freaking awesome.
Freaking awesome.
Across the lake the Larches weren't quite as golden, but still spectacular.
Across the lake the Larches weren't quite as golden, but still spectacular.
The ice on the lake had cool patterns and big circles in it.  And look blue sky!
The ice on the lake had cool patterns and big circles in it. And look blue sky!
I'm running out of superlatives...
I'm running out of superlatives...
Green, yellow, white.  Only thing missing is blue.
Green, yellow, white. Only thing missing is blue.
Jack is so happy to be out in the mountains.
Jack is so happy to be out in the mountains.
Then, all of a sudden, the clouds just burned off.  Only a few remained but the blue skies were back.  Yay!!!
Then, all of a sudden, the clouds just burned off. Only a few remained but the blue skies were back. Yay!!!
At the outlet of lower Larch Lake.
At the outlet of lower Larch Lake.
The fish were rising in lower Larch Lake, but all the ones we could see in the shallow waters looked like they were about 6, maybe 8" long tops. Come back in a couple years with a pole.
The lighting and colors down here were amazing.
The lighting and colors down here were amazing.
Another variation on that theme.
Another variation on that theme.
One more of the outlet area.
One more of the outlet area.
After snapping off a whole bunch of pictures near the outlet it was time to skedaddle down the hill. There had been significant shutter delay by now and if I wanted to get home at a reasonable hour I needed to start making progress in that direction. Bill had abandoned me and headed on down the trail. There were still a few good views on the way down.
Duncan Hill.
Duncan Hill.
No name peak.
No name peak.
From up above I had seen this patch of really colorful trees down along the river. They really stood out, bright green and yellow leaves against the drab green, gray, and brown of the fire and beetle damaged forest, but I couldn't make out what they were. Turns out it's an Aspen grove and the trail goes right through it.
For some reason the Aspens on the uphill side of the trail were just turning, still pretty green.
For some reason the Aspens on the uphill side of the trail were just turning, still pretty green.
The ones on the downhill side of the trail were putting on a real yellow show.
The ones on the downhill side of the trail were putting on a real yellow show.
After that there just wasn't anything else worthy of taking a picture. 5 miles of flat river bottom trail back to the car. I found myself really wishing we'd brought mountain bikes and rode them to the Wilderness boundary, it would've made those last 4 miles a lot more enjoyable. The drive home was uneventful, the prime rib at the North Bend Bar & Grill was outstanding as always, and this ranks right up there with one of the most interesting hikes I've done given the conditions, weather, and sheer spectacularity (I like making up my own words) of the scenery. Thanks for reading. Cheers!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 9:34 am 
Re: Larch Madness - Larch Lakes & Thereabouts 10/11-12/08
Nice report. Larch Lakes has been on my list for a couple of years now; got close this year when I climbed 5th of July, but didn't have the oomph to get down to the lakes (I had come in via Basalt Ridge and the Garland Peak trail).
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
The best of a mighty fine bunch. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 9:42 am 
Right on !! thanks for the invite of sorts, however since I can't really get out these days it's nice to be reminded of why I live here in Leavenworth and Central WA in general. awasome (sic)

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
RichP

RichP
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 am 
That is a sweet hike. For a guy with a bum knee, I'd say he's doing pretty well.

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 1:49 pm 
Nice colors! up.gif Despite the change of plans it looks like you had no problem finding some larches to enjoy.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 4:20 pm 
Great photos! up.gif up.gif Did it have you turning cartwheels 'cross the floor?

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 5:17 pm 
That's a great area for larches. Interesting contrast between the uphill and downhill aspens.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm 
Re: Tripping the Larch Fantastic  10/11-12/08
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Bill waiting for me to get my gear all packed up.
Bill waiting for me to get my gear all packed up.
Great looking trip. Did Bill sleep in this hammock? I've always wondered if & how you stay warm with all that cold air underneath you...

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 5:42 pm 
Larch Lakes 10/21/07

Living in the Anthropocene
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm 
Thanks for the comments! Galiwalker - *You* didn't have enough energy to go an extra four miles and over a thousand feet more elevation lost & regained? I'm aghast! winksmile.gif Opus - no cartwheels, but I was jumping for joy. dizzy.gif lykkens - no, Bill didn't sleep in the hammock, just strung it up to relax. He had a brand-new Big Agnes inflatable pad that uninflated in the middle of the night. The next morning he was trying to talk me into getting an inflatable pad! Foam pads may take up a lot of space, but they'll never leave you on the cold, hard ground in the middle of the night! wildernessed - I wonder if there'll be that much snow up there in another 6 days?

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Oct 22, 2008 8:47 am 
Re: Tripping the Larch Fantastic  10/11-12/08
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Downin the upper Larch Lake bowl.  Look at the size of that Larch!  I wonder how old it is?
Downin the upper Larch Lake bowl. Look at the size of that Larch! I wonder how old it is?
This guy mentions that very tree on his site, saying it is the largest larch ever found (84 1/2" DBH) as of 2004. The stand at Larch Lakes also includes the tallest known larch (126'). up.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 pm 
Very cool, Kleet. Thanks! He also mentions that the oldest trees aren't necessarily the largest. I bet growing conditions are perfect around that tree. Plenty of shelter down in a deep bowl and plenty of water even in the driest of summers. I doubt that spot is more than 2 or 3 feet above the level of the lake, maybe even less.