Forum Index > Trip Reports > Stewart Mtn E of Bellingham 11/30/08 (updated 6/16/09)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Dec 07, 2008 8:11 pm 
This TR is a quick copy & paste from my outdoors blog so some of the wording may sound a little weird... Last few years we could've been skiing near Mt Baker this time of the year. This autumn's weather has been mild so far. The only time it has been a little cold is when it's dry. The snowline in the Cascades goes up to over 5000 feet elevation much of the time when it rains. There's only less than a foot of snow at Mt Baker Ski Area as of yesterday 12/06/08. When it's like this, it's good conditions for a dayhike on a beach, in town or in the foothills. Last Sunday, on 11/30/08, we hiked up the gated powerline corridor road from the North Shore Lake Whatcom trailhead outside of Bellingham. Elvis did this hike last spring, methinks and did a TR on it. There was a brief break in the rain this afternoon so we had to get to the woods for atleast a few hours. This hike is Hike 47, Stewart Mountain, in the "Lowlands & Foothills" chapter of Ken Wilcox's Hiking Whatcom County (5th edition). There's a short stretch of county park land near the gate but beyond that it's state DNR and probably some private timber company land too. It's a typical Pacific Northwest logging road that passes through second growth forests of varying ages.
young forest in western Washington is good ruffed grouse habitat esp. if it has an edge like an old or gated gravel logging road
young forest in western Washington is good ruffed grouse habitat esp. if it has an edge like an old or gated gravel logging road
gated logging road hiking in the woods above Lake Whatcom Washington
gated logging road hiking in the woods above Lake Whatcom Washington
My GWP bird dog got birdy about 3/4 mile in. A ruffed grouse flushed up from the side of the road into a tree far away. There's a clearcut about a year old (?) about 1.5 miles in from the yellow County gate. There are burnt slash piles and leave tree signs in the unit. The smell of wet slash piles brought me back to my 'ole firefighting days.
mist lifting from a recent logging operation on Washington state DNR land in western Washington
mist lifting from a recent logging operation on Washington state DNR land in western Washington
burnt slash pile on Washington DNR land in recent logged area east of Lake Whatcom.  Looks bad now but it'll grow back soon and it's a lot better than houses and driveways.
burnt slash pile on Washington DNR land in recent logged area east of Lake Whatcom. Looks bad now but it'll grow back soon and it's a lot better than houses and driveways.
There was a flowering lupine on the side of the road!! Sorry no pictures. A wildflower blooming in late November? Amazing! Why?! Have you ever seen this? The powerline corridor road re-enters forest, then comes out under the open under the powerlines, We hiked left on a new road to a new berm. The South Branch of Smith Creek raged below. The road then switchbacks right/west and ends under the powerlines. This is almost at a highpoint in the ridge. There is a good view here. You can see the Olympic Mountains, much of Bellingham and Lake Whatcom partially shrouded with foggy clouds, Lookout Mtn, the Anacortes refinery and the lowlands around Burlington.
Olympic Mtns, lowlands near Burlington and Lookout Mtn from powerlines on Stewart Mtn
Olympic Mtns, lowlands near Burlington and Lookout Mtn from powerlines on Stewart Mtn
Lake Whatcom and Bellingham from Stewart Mtn powerline corridor
Lake Whatcom and Bellingham from Stewart Mtn powerline corridor
To the northeast is Stewart Mtn's highest knob at 3050' which is more timbered land covered with second growth forest. I want to get up here really bad, possibly with the mountain bike to cover more ground. I don't know the shortest way to access this area. I have ridden my mountain bike in from the horse trail area on the Y Road but didn't come close to Stewart.
Stewart Mtn 3050' from the powerline corridor road above Lake Whatcom, Washington
Stewart Mtn 3050' from the powerline corridor road above Lake Whatcom, Washington
From here we could also hear dirtbikes and small arms fire off in the distance. On the hike down 2 mountain bikers and their dog were heading up. They looked like they were getting quite a workout on this steep logging road. I tried riding my mountain bike up this road in the past but gave up a short way in and ended up pushing it uphill. The mountain bike was only good for zipping downhill but I had to ride the brakes much of the way down. My wife took a different route. She took the new south-bound trail about 1/2 mile in from the gate. It's not marked and easy to miss. I've hiked it last spring when it traversed the hillside through forest and stopped. It's complete now. She said it now goes to the new clearcut. She then walked a fresh logging road back over to the powerline corridor road for a loop. This is not a hike for the wilderness or old growth snob. But, it's still good exercise in open space about 7 miles round trip and 2000 foot elevation gain/loss. It's close to home, it's much better than staying home or in town and the views are decent.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 pm 
Howdy Y.B.! Glad you recall the earlier trip report - there were actually three of them as that's how many times it took before I finally reached the high point. Third attempt Trip Report (with some summertime, sunny pictures). My trip out there started out based on your suggestions from a prior B'ham NWHikers social, if you didn't know. Somewhere along the way someone referred to this peak as Whacme Peak (a combination of Whatcom (the lake) and Acme (the little "town" on hwy 9)). I don't see either of those names in my Topo! maps. Also, FWIW, in Ken Wilcox's Hiking Whatcom County 3rd edition he only mentions Stewart Mtn briefly in the 'other trails' section. I'd be interested in reading what he has to add about it in the 5th (or newer) editions. Finally, I agree it's not wilderness but it is a dang good workout! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostMon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 pm 
Quote:
To the northeast is Stewart Mtn's highest knob at 3050' which is more timbered land covered with second growth forest. I want to get up here really bad, possibly with the mountain bike to cover more ground. I don't know the shortest way to access this area. I have ridden my mountain bike in from the horse trail area on the Y Road but didn't come close to Stewart.
I've been up to the two highest areas on this massif, Whacme which is the unofficial name for the peak Elvis tagged that is 3087' on the S end. And then there is another peak, unofficially named Big Foot Hill which is more toward the N end and has two somewhat seperate 3080+20 contours so three locations for those two summits. Then, I believe that the peak referred to as Stewart is the lower 3040+ between those two. Or at least that is my best guess. There is also a 3060 BM to the W of Big Foot. Anyway, assuming that the 3040+20 locale is the location that you are looking for I would take the route I took up to Big Foot which follows an unmapped road that takes off just W of the Van Zandt Cemetary. Right at a creek crossing is a Sierra Pacific Road that was gated. We walked this for several miles and it met up fairly efficiently with the mapped roads shown in the area N of Sygitowicz Creek. Follow that up onto the ridge and the road will track around all of the little bumps and you could just jump off on a short spur shown on the N ridge of Stewart. Looks like a reasonable daytrip. A bike could help, the roads we walked were good to 2000'. Above that we were on snow so I am not sure how bikeable the roads would be. This whole route would be Sierra Pacific land. Technically I believe you need to get permission from them to be on their land at all so you can decide how to deal with that. I didn't bother and just went on a Sunday since I knew I was just going hiking and not doing any of the sorts of things that they actually don't want you to do.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm 
Elvis wrote:
Whacme Peak (a combination of Whatcom (the lake) and Acme (the little "town" on hwy 9)).
Elvis, That name makes it sound like it requires a bad bushwhack to get to the top. Like whacked in the face with branches and boughs. I'll have to look up your TR and use as a reference on how to bag this massive massif. ----------------------------------------- Eric,
stewart mtn map
stewart mtn map
I want to go where the red Xs are in the map above. I suspect that's where the green forested hills in the photo titled "Stewart Mtn 3050' from the powerline corridor road above Lake Whatcom, Washington" is, probably Big Foot Hill. Whacme Peak on the south end will be a different trip. It looks like quite a confusing maze of logging roads and that map is old, from 1974, free on Terraserver. The DNR map of the Bellingham area shows a block of DNR land starting on Pk 3017 (probably a.k.a. Big Foot Hill and due west of Strand and Clipper Roads and Hard Scrabble Creek) running west about 3 miles. The map show the east slope around Sygitowicz and Hard Scrabble creeks as private, Sierra Pacific land as you mention. Sierra Pacific signs elsewhere in the area allow non-motorized use and no fires or camping. Thanks for the directions from the east. We'll have to get in there then report back.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Dec 09, 2008 10:18 am 
Whacme does sound like a bushwhack but there are good roads to within a couple hundred feet of the top. The summit is a flattish recently logged area that is full of stumps when I did it 02/2007. I'm sure the top will be an ugly brushbash in a decade but for now it is open. The summit logging does allow for good views over to Baker and Twin Sisters.
Quote:
I want to go where the red Xs are in the map above.
I am only seeing one Red X but it appears to be where I believe Stewart Mtn is located. Attached is a little TOPO markup of the area that may be helpful.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Jun 21, 2009 9:30 am 
update on Stewart Mtn powerline corridor road -mid June 2009
Update 6/16/09 As mentioned on Elvis's trip report, there's a new trail that runs from the new clearcut down below to MP 0.6 on the powerline corridor road. There was a mountain biker on this road. We encountered him again on another brand spanking new trail above the new clearcut, just west of the road. He said he and a few friends built this trail recently without the permission of DNR. It's quite a well done trail, dug into the hillside in spots. It looks official and done professionally although a bit too steep in short sections. I don't think DNR will do anything will do anything about this illegally constructed trail. They don't really have any control over their lands or what people do to them. The new, unauthorized trail above the clearcut is maybe 1 mile long (??) and the new unauthorized trail below maybe 1.25 miles (??) long. Also, the gate to the powerline corridor road above the North Shore Whatcom Lake trailhead was open. There was a kid in a car and 2 kids on dirtbikes driving on this road. I don't know if the road is now open to public motor vehicle travel now or if the gate is closed seasonally (??). ---------------------------- Also... We bagged Whacme Peak back in May. The route is just like what Elvis and Eric describes. Great view of Twin Sisters and the geography of the South Fork Nooksack and the valley around Kendall.