Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hello, Winter!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 4:48 pm 
From today's scientific weather discussion: "The Final Point is that snow will fall in the mountains through much of the period Saturday through Tuesday. There may not be any one period with heavy snow...but each weather system will bring snow...and the moist northwesterly flow will encourage snowfall whether or not there is a short wave moving through it. By the middle of next week the Cascades and Olympics should have plenty of snow...with little or no Prospect of it melting until late Spring." Sounds like some fun times coming to the hills!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
Wow, what happens every winter about mid Nov. is going to happen again?....That's amazing how they can predict that. lol.gif Wax up the boards Winter is on it's way. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Snowday

Snowday
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 8:47 am 
Yup, not unusual, but still amazing and exciting to me anyway.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 am 
I feel like I just put all my cold/snow gear away too. O well. WOO bring it mother nature! up.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 10:21 am 
party.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 11:06 am 
Yep, winter is here!!! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 2:39 pm 
WAZ518-519-130015- WEST SLOPES NORTHERN CASCADES AND PASSES- WEST SLOPES CENTRAL CASCADES AND PASSES- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DARRINGTON...MARBLEMOUNT...CONCRETE... INDEX...SNOQUALMIE PASS...RANDLE...PACKWOOD...ASHFORD...MORTON 400 AM PST SAT NOV 12 2011 ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 6 AM PST SUNDAY... .TODAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS THIS MORNING...THEN SNOW THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW LEVEL 3000 FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 30S. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 15 MPH. .TONIGHT...BREEZY. SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 3000 FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 15 TO 25 MPH. .SUNDAY...SHOWERS LIKELY. SNOW LEVEL 3000 FEET. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 2 INCHES. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 30S. SOUTHWEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 15 MPH. .SUNDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 3500 FEET. WEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 15 MPH. .MONDAY...SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 2500 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE LOWER 30S. NORTHWEST WIND IN THE PASSES 10 TO 20 MPH. .MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 2000 FEET. .TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 2000 FEET. .WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...SNOW. SNOW LEVEL 2000 FEET. .THURSDAY...SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 1500 FEET. .THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 2000 FEET. Woohoo! Looks like I'm putting the snow tires on the car tomorrow.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 3:58 pm 
MikeBeebe wrote:
"The Final Point is that snow will fall in the mountains through much of the period Saturday through Tuesday. There may not be any one period with heavy snow...but each weather system will bring snow...and the moist northwesterly flow will encourage snowfall whether or not there is a short wave moving through it. By the middle of next week the Cascades and Olympics should have plenty of snow...with little or no Prospect of it melting until late Spring."
The excerpt sounds good except for the erroneous last sentence. It would be great if this early snow doesn't end up encircling barns in early December, but I wouldn't put money on it. frown.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
Won't be long for the first snowshoe vs. ski track argument to appear. vent.gif eyes.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 5:49 pm 
How to get along.
How to get along.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
blastoh

blastoh
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 5:56 pm 
Already went snow showing up to artist point on Thursday. And there were people skiing up there. Made the hike twice actually. The second time without snowshoes... My legs paid for that too. from Austen Pass.
Standing in Awe...
Standing in Awe...

"Getting up is optional, getting down is mandatory" http://vimeo.com/donjensen | http://flickr.com/donkjensen
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 6:42 pm 
blastoh - how much snow up there right now? have they started grooming yet? love that area! and your photo is awesome. (sorry strider)

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 7:24 pm 
NOAA forecast discussion: LONG TERM...WEDNESDAY COVERED ABOVE. BEYOND THAT A DEEP UPPER LEVEL LOW IS EXPECTED TO SETTLE OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST FOR VERY COOL AND OCCASIONALLY DAMP CONDITIONS. THIS IS NOT A STEADY PRECIPITATION TYPE OF EVENT BUT RATHER PERIODS OF ENHANCED SHOWER ACTIVITY AND PERIODS OF RELATIVE DRYNESS. THE MOUNTAINS WILL BE THE PRIME TARGET THROUGH THE PERIOD. SNOW LEVELS WILL BE VERY LOW PUSHING DOWN TO 1500 FEET AND POTENTIALLY LOWER AT TIMES NEXT WEEKEND. SO THE PRECIPITATION THAT DOES OCCUR OVER THE MOUNTAINS WILL BE SNOW WHICH WILL CONTINUE TO BUILD A BASE. LET LA NINA REIGN.

blastoh

blastoh
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 8:01 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
how much snow up there right now? have they started grooming yet?
these were the conditions on Thursday... When you park at the upper ski area, there is a few inches. About 1-2 on the road, and about 2-3 on everything else. The Bagley lakes are frozen but tstill visibile. By the time you get to Austin Pass, there is about 6-8 inches. Arist Point and Kulshan Ridge has about 2+ feet on it. They have not started grooming yet, but they were getting everything ready. They were actually working on the Cats when I was there.

"Getting up is optional, getting down is mandatory" http://vimeo.com/donjensen | http://flickr.com/donkjensen
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Nov 13, 2011 11:29 am 
28* on Hurricane Ridge right now. Looks to be about 4" - 6" of snow. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."