Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sushi Fever...Yum!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm 
Last night my friends and i got together for sushi lessons. Sushi means vinegar rice. (some folks cringe at the thought of sushi. they mistake it with sashimi which means raw fish...usually eaten without rice, i think) Just like Martha Stewart, ingredients were prepared ahead of time making lessons move faster. Meg used a recipe for the vinegar mixture that is to be added to pre-cooked steam rice. She got the recipe by googling 'california rolls'~the addition of avocado. Vegetables: celery, cucumber, bean sprouts, carrots and red bell pepper. The bell pepper, celery and peeled cucumber were sliced lengthwise and about 1/8-1/4 inch thick. She used a potato peeler to shave strips of carrots. She also included avocado, cream cheese and cooked shrimp. Using a bamboo roller, she placed about the same size of saran wrap on top of the rolled out bamboo. She then placed a sheet of nori (seaweed wrap) on the saran wrap, plopped enough v. rice on the nori, then spreading the v. rice on the nori, making sure she pressed the v. rice firm enough to stick on the nori. Time to sprinkle roasted sesame seeds…lots! Here comes her trick. She likes the v. rice to be the outer layer so for the next step she places another sheet of saran wrap on top of the sesame sprinkled v. rice and flips the v. rice and nori over and removes the first saran wrap exposing the nori. By doing this flip, the nori will be part of the inner layer. Place the vegetables about an inch from the edge closes to you.
Time to roll ….this seems to be the difficult part for me. Using the bamboo roller, start from the edge closest to you, lift the bamboo and place it over the ingredients, and give it a tight squeeze. As you roll, pull the saran wrap (the upper section) away, squeeze, roll, pull, until the saran wrap has been totally removed. Unroll the bamboo roller, and success. Use wasabe and shoyo to dip the sushi in. Pickled ginger is optional. Serve and enjoy! Sushi California Roll

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Apr 16, 2009 8:49 pm 
Making your own sushi, though a very time-consuming process, is always a rewarding experience. Philadelphia Rolls are my favorite. I wonder why I don't do it more often. It looks like you had some fun and filled your belly nicely. up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 pm 
There was Philly cream cheese so I guess it's a philly cali sushi biggrin.gif The sushi rolls were appetizers ~ we also had steamed alaskan halibut with veges and korean barbeque ribs. dessert - brownie wedges, ginger cookies, and banana bread. oh, and Japanese beer!
hungry.gif drink.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu

Andy Schmidt
Formerly Fuu
PostThu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 pm 
The ingredients seem simple enough, but making sushi at home has always seemed like too much of a chore. Looks like yours turned out great though. Congrats.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Apr 16, 2009 10:30 pm 
Well done bcfc53. It looks good. Was it tasty? Looks like you are ready for a job at a sushi bar. Are there any sushi restaurents in Port Angeles?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Yet

Yet
PostThu Apr 16, 2009 10:47 pm 
YUM! I love sushi. agree.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am 
Mmm, sushi. up.gif I need to go to Tuna House again.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 am 
it was fun making the rolls especially when someone else has the ingredients ready ahead of time! each roll was different since it was individualized by the person making it.
reststep wrote:
Well done bcfc53. It looks good. Was it tasty? Looks like you are ready for a job at a sushi bar. Are there any sushi restaurents in Port Angeles?
there's the Okasan! i've eaten there...the sushi bar is neat as you can watch the chef prepare your meal! i'm having a birthday gathering for my 85 year young mother in law on sunday. yep, i'll be serving sushi rolls! i best keep the wasabe on the side! i wonder if she drinks sake!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Apr 17, 2009 8:26 pm 
And a great job of the write-up. Kudos on the clear instructions and the nice photos illustrating the entire process. Very tempting... wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Apr 17, 2009 8:30 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Mmm, sushi. up.gif I need to go to Tuna House again.
Yes, Tuna House. For the eastside, it's actually a good restaurant!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Apr 17, 2009 10:37 pm 
thanks Havdis and DM! i'll be on my own when i make my sushi rolls for the birthday party. eek.gif if the rolls come out worthy of being photographed, i'll post them. i need an assistant for the prep work!!

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 4:28 pm 
i made 6 sushi rolls this morning! turned out pretty good plus i figured i don't need to use the bamboo roller! i did it just fine without it.
my 85 year young mother in law was delighted with her birthday gathering of family and friends. isn't she cute?
dang...i did great! biggrin.gif

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 4:51 am 
Isnt that bait for fishing? confused.gif biggrin.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 6:49 pm 
bait? which one: the sushi or sashimi? bait would probably be the sashimi!

reststep

reststep
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 9:32 pm 
Nice looking spread bcfc53. I think you outdid yourself. smile.gif Where are the ohashi? お箸

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir