Forum Index > Trip Reports > April 29-May 2, 2009: Capitol Reef National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat May 30, 2009 9:05 am 
I picked up a great trail map by Earthwalk Press ($5.00) of the entire north and south sections of Capitol Reef N.P. at the Visitor Center. Its contours (80 ft.) are sufficient if one is not planning on elaborate canyoneering. April 29: After leaving Bryce I crossed the famous Utah Hwy 12 through the amazing slickrock to the Escanlante-Grand Staricase National Monument.
Highway 12
Highway 12
Escalante River
Escalante River
Viewpoint overlook of Capitol Reef
Viewpoint overlook of Capitol Reef
Must go back someday and begin to explore this vast area. I call it TazzYana Goehikerland. But I was headed to Capitol Reef. After a leisure day of driving I found a campsite in the Main Campground located off Hwy 24 in what is known as the Fruita Historic District. Capitol Reef is ideally laid out for dayhikes so I would remain here for four nights. I still had time for a short hike so I took the "Scenic Drive" (paved) on the west side of the reef to the Old Wagon Trail Loop trail, 3.5 mile hike RT. It climbs on sloping juniper/pinyon pine lands to the west for about 1000 vertical, bringing oneself to a great perch to watch the sunset color develop on the marvelous west facing reef. The reef, or Waterpocket Fold, basically is a hundred mile long cliff face exposed from the folding of the earth's crust and then eroded into the face. It is a great place to observe and learn the many layers of sea floor sandstone deposits overlaid one over another for millions of years. Capped with the yellow domes of the Navaho formation, above the intense red horizontal beds of the Kayenta, above the famous vertical climbing faces of the blood red Wingate sandstone, all above the lowest layers of soft grays, greens, and reds of the Moenkopi/Chinle formations.
Layered formations
Layered formations
Old Wagon Rd Sunset
Old Wagon Rd Sunset
Henry Mts. Behind
Henry Mts. Behind
Navaho domes
Navaho domes
Golden Throne
Golden Throne
Lowered sun
Lowered sun
Sunlit Throne
Sunlit Throne
April 30: A great ritual began this morning at 8:00 AM. A little country store in the historic district, a short minute or two walk from the campground, sold coffee and authentic fresh baked scones! That would be first priority for the next few mornings.
Campground
Campground
Sun rises over camp
Sun rises over camp
Camp morning
Camp morning
Fremont River gorge
Fremont River gorge
Then I drove Hwy 24 to the east end of the Grand Wash hike. I thought it was going to be an out and back, but I lucked out. Another group had arranged a point to point key exchange. When I met them I got them to take my keys and car back to my campsite! This allowed me to do a one way 9 mile through hike of the Grand Wash-Cassidy Arch-Frying Pan-Cohob Canyon Trails.
Grand Wash
Grand Wash
Grand Wash Narrows
Grand Wash Narrows
Bighorn ewe on ledge
Bighorn ewe on ledge
Shinob Canyon
Shinob Canyon
Fryingpan Trail
Fryingpan Trail
Cassidy Arch
Cassidy Arch
Capitol Reef National Park
Distant Wingate Formation
Distant Wingate Formation
In the Kayenta ledges
In the Kayenta ledges
Cohab Canyon cheese
Cohab Canyon cheese
Cohob ends/starts at the campground!
Descent to Fruita
Descent to Fruita
A great day of a wash with narrows, a climb to the top of an arch, over the reef, and down through a mini canyon. After dinner I drove to the Panarama Point overlook on Hwy 24 for the sunset.
Glowing Wingate cliffs
Glowing Wingate cliffs
Glowing Reef
Glowing Reef
Utah_396
Utah_396
Panorama Point
Panorama Point
May 1: Today began, predictably, with coffee and a scone. Then I drove to the east side of the park and headed south on the Notom-Bullfrog on pavement and good gravel to the outlet of Sheets Gulch. Sheets, like Grand Wash, bisects the entire width of the reef. This hike goes through a neat dry wash that narrows into several slots, passes through the Navaho, Kayenta, and Wingate sandstone formations, and then requires a turn around for a 13 mile out and back. Combining it with Pleasant Creek to form a three day loop would be a cool option.
Sheets Gulch Narrows
Sheets Gulch Narrows
Sheets Gulch
Sheets Gulch
Vetch?
Vetch?
Basalt erratic
Basalt erratic
Navaho above Kayenta
Navaho above Kayenta
slot in Navaho stone
slot in Navaho stone
More slot
More slot
Sheets slot
Sheets slot
Sheets  Gulch relief
Sheets Gulch relief
Towering Wingate
Towering Wingate
Wingate formation canyon twists
Wingate formation canyon twists
Sheets again
Sheets again
Sheets Gulch Narrows
Sheets Gulch Narrows
Sheets Gulch
Sheets Gulch
Mini sandstone Yosemite
Mini sandstone Yosemite
Sheets Gulch
Sheets Gulch
Nearing the Slots
Nearing the Slots
Deepening slots
Deepening slots
May 2: I was now beginning to tire from more than a weeks' hiking, so today was easier. First scones, then a drive south on the scenic drive to the end of pavement, and then two more miles to the Pleasant Cr Trailhead. Pleasant Creek is just that, and a perennial stream that cuts through the reef.
Domes above Pleasant Creek
Domes above Pleasant Creek
Pleasant Creek
Pleasant Creek
It was an enjoyable 6 mile out and back along the stream beneath Navaho sandstone domes with a fun surprise side slot canyon thrown in.
Pleasant Creek Canyon, Capitol Reef NP
Pleasant Creek Canyon, Capitol Reef NP
Pleasant Creek side slot
Pleasant Creek side slot
Then back to town where the park was having a living history program on the homesteading at Fruita. More scones! Finally a quick evening walk up to Hickman Natural Bridge 2 mi. RT.
Hickman
Hickman
Common Flower
Common Flower
Cactus bloom
Cactus bloom
Last beautiful night in camp:
Last evening
Last evening
Almost bedtime
Almost bedtime
After Bryce, the evidence of the ancient Pueblo cultures begins to get more frequent. In Capitol Reaf it was the Fremont Culture of more than 1000 years ago. I was able to start to find some neat petroglyph panels. A few of which are well marked on maps by the NPS:
Utah 487 [800x600]
Utah 487 [800x600]
Utah 497 [800x600]
Utah 497 [800x600]
Utah 496 [800x600]
Utah 496 [800x600]
Utah 501 [800x600]
Utah 501 [800x600]
Utah 478 [800x600]
Utah 478 [800x600]
Utah 477 [800x600]
Utah 477 [800x600]
Utah 479 [800x600]
Utah 479 [800x600]
Utah 488 [800x600]
Utah 488 [800x600]
After that my curiosity of the Ancient Ones or Anasazi was peaked. Next stop: Natural Bridges National Monument and Cedar Mesa/Grand Gulch country with its high concentration of the cliff dwellings and petroglyphs of the Ancient Ones. Three legs down on the trip and three more to go: Cedar Mesa Hovenweep/Canyons of the Ancients National Monuments Canyonlands National Park

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat May 30, 2009 9:42 am 
One of my favorite parks down there. Not as heavily visited as the others and has some sweet gems to be found. I can't wait to get back in there. I hiked part of grand wash. nice through hike you did! so much to do and no time to do it all... rolleyes.gif thanks for sharing! awesome pics!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat May 30, 2009 10:26 am 
tazz wrote:
One of my favorite parks down there. Not as heavily visited as the others and has some sweet gems to be found. I can't wait to get back in there. I hiked part of grand wash. nice through hike you did! so much to do and no time to do it all... :rolleyes:
Ditto that<Tazz. I almost feel like my mountain time this summer is a way to kill time in the summer heat until I can get back to the Utah Desert! It affected me somehow. J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun May 31, 2009 3:18 am 
Wonderful report John. Capitol Reef is a gem and you have really done a great job in showing it off. up.gif I'm loving living in Utah as each week I get to see something new and wonderful. I've been to Fruita two times so far and will get back there later this summer for some more exploration. Thanks for all the eye candy.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSun May 31, 2009 9:12 pm 
Thanks for the report and photos. It must be getting HOT by now. Isn't that where Butch Cassidy used to hang out ? I've been down that way three times but could go every year and never get tired of it.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun May 31, 2009 10:36 pm 
John, I love the erratic rock! How'd that get there - is there information on erratics in the area? Your "vetch?" plant looks like a type of pea or perhaps locoweed...? I'll try to look it up tomorrow unless someone else knows for sure.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting