Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pilchuck Night Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm 
I've been planing a trip up Pilchuck at night for some time now. With recent reports of the trail snow free. I decided to go for it Thursday night after work. Why, hike at night? View's of the city lights, and good views of stars at the same time, catch the sunrise over the cascades. And not dealing with the daytime heat hockeygrin.gif . I arrived at the trail head some time after 12:30 am. It was nice and cool. The trail was easy to follow. It was clear, lots of stars visible. The summit would promise some night time photos, star traces, behind rugged peaks...right. As i climbed the city lights became more prominent. The lights were illuminating some wispy clouds. I decided to wait until i reached the summit to take an night shots. There would be unobstructed views up there. Twenty minutes from the summit the clouds started to roll in. frown.gif It went from cool, to damp and down right frigid in seconds. A few minutes from the look out visibility started to get bad. Finally the silhouette of the look out came into view. With my concern with the worsening weather conditions and maybe...i was a little tired...i forgot that there was one other car at the trail head. As i reached for the door handle i caught the sight of boots and trekking poles. Crap....the look out was already occupied. Looking back down the ladder to the Look out, the fog had become so thick the bottom was no longer visible paranoid.gif I did not want to barge in at something past 3 am. I decided to try and bivy out side in the damp weather. Not an easy decision considering the lack of visibility around the summit area. Just for good measure, i picked up some rocks and tosed them into my direction of travel, listening for them landing. I found i good safe spot. Fortunately, my sleeping bag kept me warm...but damp. I drifted off to sleep. A few hours later i was awakened by bird song, it was starting to get light. Peaking out revealed the pea soup, even with day light visibility was not much better. rolleyes.gif I dozed off...later i was awakened by the people who had occupied the lookout leaving. I stayed in my sleeping bag for a bit before deciding to occupy the lookout. While i was gathering my gear. I took this photo...it was just about the only thing visible.
morning
morning
That was 7:30 ish AM well after sunrise. Once in the look out i decided to sleep some more..until the clouds parted or the first of the crowds arrived. I drifted off again...I awoke around 9:30 to the sound of the wind outside the look out. Still dark and gloomy. I dug around my pack for some water. Suddenly...just like some one flipped a light switch on. The sun appeared, and i was staring at Three Fingers across the top of the cloud layer. banana.gif
Pilchuck pano
Pilchuck pano
[url]http:// [/url] Flickr sure killed the video quality.....how did it go from horizontal to vertical. confused.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 4:14 pm 
That's pretty cool. But I bet if you had JUST pounded on that lookout door a few times and shouted "I SMELL MAN-FLESH!!!, you would've had a dry place to sleep.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 4:59 pm 
Funny @$$ report old man, And the video was sweet as well. Do that on flick huh ? from your camera ?

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 7:31 pm 
Yep i did that flick...I have a interval timer i set on my camera. It's simple...take a photo at a preset interval..then import them into windows movie maker. Play each frame for .125 seconds. Instant time lapse flick. hockeygrin.gif I forgot to mention..Now that there is no snow...there is no convenient source of water along the trail except at the trail head rolleyes.gif So pack extra water. I'm not sure wringing my sleeping bag would have yielded potable water lol.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 8:37 pm 
Well I've been sitting here watching the lightning and rain so I think there mite be some water tomorrow lol.gif Took the street bike up the loop today, nice and sunny. Not now, tons of folks setting up camp in every crack they could find.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
gone

gone
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 9:21 pm 
The Angry Hiker wrote:
That's pretty cool. But I bet if you had JUST pounded on that lookout door a few times and shouted "I SMELL MAN-FLESH!!!, you would've had a dry place to sleep.
Now that's funny right there! lol.gif Great adventure and story, love the time-lapse vid! up.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 9:27 pm 
Great stuff Hulky! up.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 pm 
you are brave! cool video

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 3:07 am 
Love the video.

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 4:59 pm 
....another fan of your trip reports chiming in. Nice video and trip report! Livin' life! up.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 6:27 pm 
was not sure where to post this one..was out farting around today and threw this together.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Jul 25, 2009 6:58 pm 
WTG, If the LO is rocking don't bother knocking. I would have bust in and told all there....."don't bother me I'm only passing through" You missed the Northern Lights and fantastic weather by one night. That sucks, but you'll remember this hike much longer I bet. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles