Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bootjack Mtn and Highchair Mtn - 8.25.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 5:06 pm 
Trailhead:Drive the Icicle Creek road to the Doctor Creek washout… bike ~5 miles to the trailhead (2900’) for the Jackpine Trail #1597… walk Jackpine for an eighth of a mile and start up the Blackjack Ridge Trail #1565. Don’t be deceived by the gentle switchbacks at the beginning of the Blackjack Ridge Trail… fairly quickly the switchbacks steepen significantly and by the time you get your first view (6100’) of Bootjack Mtn, you will have gained 3200 feet of elevation in only 3 miles. I suppose that my Chiwaukum Mtns Green Trails map might be out of date because it shows the Blackjack Ridge Trail going very near the summit of Bootjack Mtn… yes, a faint bootpath continues along the ridge towards the summit… however, we were looking for a good trail and stayed with it as it dropped into the basin on the east side of Bootjack… and it didn’t take us long to realize that the good trail was heading down towards Dunn Creek… so we left the good trail and scrambled up to the ridge (~6600’) and made the very easy scramble to the Bootjack Mtn summit (6789’). At this point we no longer needed the Green Trails map… from the Bootjack summit we could see the ridge that we would follow most of the way over to Highchair Mtn… leaving the Bootjack/Highchair ridge at its low point (~6400’) and traversing into the basin on the east side of Highchair. From the Highchair basin (~6200’) we scrambled to the ridge (~6900’) on the south side of the summit and worked our way over to the true summit (7016’). For a rather nondescript summit, Highchair Mtn provides very nice views… north to the Chiwaukum Mtns… east to Cashmere, Eightmile and Jack Ridge… south to the Stuart Range, Ingalls, Harding and Fish Eagle… and west to The Cradle, Daniel and Granite. We varied our return by (1)taking a more direct route from the Highchair summit down to Highchair basin and (2)taking the boot path from the Bootjack summit to the Blackjack Ridge Trail. We used the trip reports by JimK and TrailPair for info on this hike… both said the hike was 11 miles roundtrip, gaining 5600 feet of elevation… and I will not argue with their stats… and for good measure, we added 9 to 10 miles of bike riding that added another 500 feet of elevation gain… a very long day… I’m tired!! Map and photos of our hike to Bootjack Mtn and Highchair Mtn. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Type E

Type E
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 5:34 pm 
Sure looks familiar! I hope to return to bag Highchair sometime soon. Was the register I left still in place? What does the drop to Cradle Lake look like? E

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 6:05 pm 
There was a summit cairn on Highchair, but I didn't find a register... and didn't even think to look for one on Bootjack. We didn't have time to go over and look down on Cradle Lake.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 pm 
Very nice report. That must have been a long day. up.gif
ragman and rodman wrote:
For a rather nondescript summit, Highchair Mtn provides very nice views…
I never made it to Highchair, just to Bootjack; at that time I thought the views from Bootjack were some of the best in the region.
Type E wrote:
What does the drop to Cradle Lake look like?
Here're a couple of shots of the slopes above Cradle Lake, somewhere behind which should be Highchair:

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Type E

Type E
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 7:41 pm 
Thanks Gali for the pics. I have been to Cradle Lake but I don't remember what the terrain was like.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
Bootjack used to be one of my favorites! But since I'm not a biker, it'll have to wait until the road is fixed... hmmm.gif Thanks for the report and pics!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 pm 
That's a fine trip there. I've done it as a loop from up valley, to Cradle for the night, then back out along the ridge and down the trail you came up. Really nice area. Not much traffic, great views, easy scrambling.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 pm 
Ragman's Adventures!
Dang, Rog, I want YOUR job! You keep taking all our trips - we merely get sloppy seconds . . . lol.gif rolleyes.gif bawl.gif winksmile.gif Good stuff, dude! You're really knocking off the summits this summer! up.gif s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 7:41 am 
Re: Ragman's Adventures!
Sadie's Driver wrote:
You keep taking all our trips - we merely get sloppy seconds . . . lol.gif rolleyes.gif bawl.gif winksmile.gif
ditto.gif Thanks for all the beta you guys provide. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Aug 27, 2009 8:48 am 
ragman and rodman wrote:
… a very long day… I’m tired!!
Soon you'll be relaxing at a swiss chalet with incredible views of the Jungfrau, Eiger, Mönch and many others. No need to climb'em, they'll be in your face right there from the beer garden. biggrin.gif