Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Boeing plant 2 during WW2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dick B

Dick B
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 9:21 pm 
While browsing the net, I ran across an interesting article that described how plant 2 was camouflaged during the war. The whole building was covered. Structures were built with streets and landscaping to make it look like a residential neighborhood. Sounds as tho it was like a huge movie set. Does anyone out there have access to photos of what it would have looked like from the air and on the ground? This plant turned out B17s and B29s during the war, so was critical to the war effort.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yorknl

yorknl
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 9:53 pm 
Google "boeing plant 2 camouflage" and you shall find exactly what you seek. Cheers-

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Feb 19, 2024 12:21 pm 
yorknl. Thanks for the heads up on a good source. I correspond with a lady whose dad spent his career with Boeing. She said his only mention of the war years precautions was blacking out the windows. Further reading said one reason they got rid of plant 2 was because of the height of the vertical stabilizer (VS)on the B52. It would not fit thru the hanger doors. On the early models the VS was hinged so would be dropped then raised once it cleared the doors. When I was at the U in the mid 50s, I washed trucks on weekends at the large Thriftway warehouse at the south end of Boeing Field. I got to watch B52s take off and land right over my head. Impressive.