Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Moderation complaints
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:24 pm 
To keep moderated threads on topic, public complaints will be moved here; however, we much prefer that you contact a moderator privately if you have an issue or question.
MtnGoat wrote:
this is bullcrap. my comment was no more "noise" than the one that precipitated it, and contained NO hints of anything other than recognition of the facts. Be fair and eliminate all the noise if you're going to be making this claim.
I felt it was fair and appropriate to split out with the other noise. You seem to have a personal agenda with MC. He called you out on it a while back and it seemed to me you were nipping at his heels again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:44 pm 
I would actually prefer a more subjective component to the moderation rather than a strict set of rules. If Dayhike Mike makes a mild political comment & gets moded - that shouldn't be equal to blatant partisan attacks by 'johnny-come-latelys' or those with a long history of non-participation beyond antagonism & trolling.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 pm 
David¹ wrote:
I would actually prefer a more subjective component to the moderation rather than a strict set of rules.
Naw, rules can be a good thing, IMO.. 99% of folks who get moderated probably don't know why. They are brave ina way for taking a chance and trying to contribute when they don't have a clue about what is acceptable in the moderators subjective opinions. We know the rule about politics and cuss words. Fine, what are the other rules? Spell them out, please. And, everyone will live happily ever after..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 1:23 pm 
Quote:
99% of folks who get moderated probably don't know why
Thanks for the laugh. hmmm.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 1:44 pm 
HunterConservationist wrote:
Outlaw fists and blunt objects!! Ban hiking in the area for a few years!
Dare anyone suggest means of prevention?
Just asking, what is the topic? To express outrage? Who wouldn't express outrage? All media report numerous outrages constantly. Is this incident another outrage? Most certainly. Where's the teachable moment, what is the teachable issue? The purpose can't merely be to express outrage and move on. That seems like a lost opportunity.
If the teachable issue relates to guns and personal safety there's a specific thread in which you can discuss it until the cows come home. If there's a lost opportunity it's the opportunity to raise the discussion in the appropriate thread vs. hijack of other threads.

Canuck

Canuck
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 1:51 pm 
Folks have to remember too that the threads that are easily found by a google search by family members or friends of those injured/killed/whatever are not going to appreciate the off-topic rants and/or issues between members of the board. In those instances, I'm all for moderating. (I'm specifically thinking of those threads, like the xc skier one from today... not anything moderated regarding guns or politics.)

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 3:00 pm 
Sticky: We show respect in injury fatality threads?

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Yet

Yet
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 pm 
I haven't read the threads above, but just a comment. Wouldn't it be ideal if we could all self-moderate? As far as rules, how about just respect in general. And perhaps kindness.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
Ahhh, in a perfect world.. My take is that the powers that be here would bend over backwards to not censor. Having 'Rules of Conduct' as some forums do isn't attractive to them. However, there are rules of conduct here. And some of them are unwritten rules. A few Mods have had 'Gotcha' moments with me to my bewilderment. I suppose that it causes some confusion/frustration for writers and moderators not to have set rules. In a perfect world it might be better to write them and put all of the stickys in one place for all to see under, Rules of Conduct.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 4:36 pm 
This thread exists to keep other threads on topic after moderation. No need to drift this one into a general complaint fest / suggestion box. Thanks.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 pm 
Tom wrote:
This thread exists to keep other threads on topic after moderation. No need to drift this one into a general complaint fest / suggestion box. Thanks.
Rule of Conduct #1: Send specific 'moderation complaints'/suggestions personally to a moderator?

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 6:02 pm 
Moderation Complaints
Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 am Moderation complaints Thanks, Apparently this thread is about a spicific topic in Trail Talk about a x/c skier which I didn't participate in. Sorry for the drift.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Feb 12, 2009 9:11 pm 
I would like to moderately complain about Kleet. That's all.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 pm 
how do we find out which moderator to voice our complaint? thank you.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Apr 08, 2009 11:04 pm 
Good question Bobbi. hmmm.gif I cannot find a listing of the current moderators anywhere Tom. If you have that feature, maybe you could make it easier to find. If you don't , could you please provide a sticky with a listing of all the current thread police so I know who to bitch at, beside you of course. suuure.gif Also, when a posting is censored, we need to know who censored it. Not just "removed by mods" we need a name. Am I missing this info posted somewhere ?