Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyhomelyish Mtn (Skykomish area) 5/24/2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostTue May 24, 2011 8:53 pm 
Skyhomelyish Mountain 4494’ What a homely name for a homely so called mountain. And a road goes almost to the top so I figured that it would make a good ski tour while the snow still was around. I had to hike a bit before I could put those skinny sticks on my feet but then I made it all the way to the summit on skis. This trip I had more normal Cascade weather; i.e. clouds, fog, mist. As I climbed higher on the road, my visibility became shorter and shorter.
turn left to get into the clouds
turn left to get into the clouds
brief clearing
brief clearing
Soon, I got up where I would have had a clear view to the north; but what I got was gray nothing. Then higher, I would have had a clear view to the east; but I donno. And south; nothing. Then I would have had some grand views to the west; but I donno there either. I must have had my head in the clouds. Well, I did; and my arms, my torso and even my feet. I could only see a few hundred feet ahead of me most of the way.
upper road somewhere
upper road somewhere
near the top
near the top
Snowmobile tracks went all the way up the road and it was only the last tiny bit to the summit that I set virgin tracks.
peak bagger with skis
peak bagger with skis
It had only taken me a little over two and a half hours to ski up and while snacking on the top, the clouds had the audacity to actually start spritzing on me. That prompted me to quit my leisure lounging among the trees and start down. I flew down the road and the clouds looked like they were attempting to break up but I didn’t hang around.
upper portion of road
upper portion of road
is it clearing?
is it clearing?
so thats what the area looks like
so thats what the area looks like
Gravity pulled me downward, skis hissing over the snow, around the corners, over the avi debris in the gullies, and through the watermelon snow. The final half mile hike back to car completed the tour.
road segment
road segment
beneath the clouds and a long ski down
beneath the clouds and a long ski down
Skyhomelyish Mtn map
Skyhomelyish Mtn map
Stats: 9 miles 2200’ elevation gain 4 ½ hrs

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostTue May 24, 2011 9:09 pm 
hooray clouds! is that the official name for the summit?

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue May 24, 2011 9:13 pm 
"Tree with root wad"? (Shown on map) So you were not able to drive any further than you had at the beginning of the month? No more snowmelt on the road, or was it just blocked by debris?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
daffish

daffish
PostTue May 24, 2011 9:25 pm 
Quote:
is that the official name for the summit?
I have heard that somewhere before and that is the "official" unofficial name as it appears on Google Earth. Eagle Creek Rd is blocked not too much farther up than what you could drive earlier this month. A little sawing could probably get you past it but a little ways past that is the cliffy area where rocks of all sizes litter the roadbed. And then the snow starts in earnest.

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed May 25, 2011 6:21 am 
daffish wrote:
Quote:
is that the official name for the summit?
I have heard that somewhere before and that is the "official" unofficial name as it appears on Google Earth.
That's part of the problem right there: Google Earth. Especially considering their information was garnered from an unofficial source, itself. "Skyhomelyish Mountain" is an unofficial name. Without question. I would not doubt it if John Roper or someone in his hiking contingent named it, sometime in the past. Then that unofficial name was posted online, which was then taken by another person who then sold it to Google which then treated it as if it were an official name... so that name will probably stick now. What a wacky name, too! But unofficial name, or official name, this peak (despite its otherwise non-technical approach and lack of killer views) is still a "true" peak and a worthy objective for some. ------------ Good job, daffish! And thanks for the useful road and route beta. up.gif

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed May 25, 2011 8:33 am 
heh,, I was looking up at skyhomelyish on my way homelyish, thinking,, hey, there is a road going ot the top! Clouds didn't clear til around 4 or so. Guess the sunny part of partly sunny was the afternoon. the couldy part of the forecast must have been down low, cuz rainier looked awfully clear in the web cam. regarding the unofficial names on google maps. Noticed about a month or two ago that alot of the names where no longer on there? Am I veiwing it wrong?

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed May 25, 2011 9:23 am 
You are correct. A lot of odd names recently disappeared from Google Earth. That is not by accident. And, from what I have heard, a lot more odd names might be disappearing in the future... ... but that is a story for another time/forum.

rossb

rossb
PostWed May 25, 2011 5:07 pm 
Thanks for the report. I love to hear about places like this to explore. Looks like a fun ski trip. Since the road is mostly on the north side, I would imagine most of the snow will stick around a while.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu May 26, 2011 5:15 pm 
That's a nice area to hike/explore with some excellent views. up.gif I was camping near the 4,000 ft. level last year the first week of June and there were only patches of snow left. I have a feeling this year might be a bit different......smile.gif Here's what it looks like when you can see.
Camping near Eagle Creek, 4,000 ft.
Camping near Eagle Creek, 4,000 ft.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Fred Beavon

Fred Beavon
PostSun Jun 05, 2011 5:13 pm 
Yes, thanks for the report. Your ski tracks were still visible today, Sunday, June 5. It took me 2 and 1/2 hours up also. 1 and 1/2 hours down, taking a big shortcut in that clearcut area near the top that's starting to grow back now. You got a good picture of it. Not having skis, I just booted it up. The only thing that would've made my trip better was if I'd left my ice axe, snowshoes, jeans, flannel shirt and jacket in the car. None of that extra weight was needed. It was t-shirt and shorts weather right from the car. Gaitors were helpful, though. That root wad can now be driven around, but there is one medium sized boulder that soon blocks all passage, along with many smaller rocks, too, as you mentioned. But snow soon begins in earnest after that. I've decided hiking on a logging road can be quite pleasant as long as it is covered with snow. I don't carry a camera, but there were great views of Eagle Rock and the SE Ridge of Townsend Mountain. The Hinman/Daniel area could be seen in the distance. This was a delightful quick snow slog.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 pm 
This is what is called by the locals as lower end Klinger Ridge.