Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Pilchuck Avy Roulette
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 8:28 am 
I climbed Pilchuck Sunday morning and wasn't surprised to see that a big chunk of the giant cornice fell on Saturday. What did blow me away was a set of tracks that traversed the bench over there and disappeared in the swath, but I figured they must have made it through before it went or it would have been all over the news. Sure enough when I looked from the summit down on the path of destruction there they were emerging from the other side huh.gif Mt. Pilchuck, a beacon for natural selection, let some clueless souls off easy Saturday.
Mt. Pilchuck Cornice Avy
2 labels
Mt. Pilchuck Cornice Avy
Mt. Pilchuck Cornice Avy from Summit
2 labels
Mt. Pilchuck Cornice Avy from Summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 am 
Yikes!

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 am 
Jim...Having bicycled over Barlow pass yesterday, your photos pretty much cemented my opinion as to why the road is still gated. frown.gif There's a more than few becon's for natural selection that are really easy to access when the gate is open. rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
NikonHiker

NikonHiker
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am 
What time did you go up? I was coming down around 7 AM. And I noticed a lot of tracks in some sketchy places too.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 9:06 am 
Jim....maybe posting those photos on the WTA site too. Looks like there's still some cornice to come down.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 9:11 am 
Nikon, I stopped to talk to you for a moment, I was the skier wearing a white hat. Nice to meet you (good photo over in picture of the day). Hulk, the remaining cornices might just melt back, and if they fall shouldn't entrain the slopes below like the big uns Sat. - still dangerous if you are right below em though!

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 4:51 pm 
eek.gif shakehead.gif Bad choice but their lucky day. They say every picture tells a story...those 2 pics tell it loud and clear. Good reminders to backcountry travellers, especially novices.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
induster

induster
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 5:08 pm 
Wow, has there been a thread on how to spot avalanche possibilites? Thanks for posting

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 7:51 pm 
induster, it takes much more than a thread here! What you can learn here is when conditions are right for avalanches. Then you STAY AWAY! eek.gif Until you've taken some of the available avalanche courses and spent some time in the field with people who do have the knowledge and experience. Run a search, here, on avalanches. You'll find out that we've given out the same advice, time after time after time. ....... It's the best we can do.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Gamuru
Cartographile

Gamuru
Cartographile
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 am 
Even on the right-hand side of the saddle were a few iffy spots for me. Large snow boulders below were telling.

Don "The definition of a mine is a hole in the ground that belongs to a liar." ~Mark Twain
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 am 
Yikes. A pal of mine skied up to Blue Lake Col this past weekend, and when he got there he says there were a few guys drinking beers while sitting right on top of the big cornice there. Darwin's roulette. Induster - +! on Scrooge's comments. Buy a book or two on the topic, and take a Level One avalanche course - there should be several good ones available starting early next season. NWAC is an important source of info, including daily avalanche reports; these are done for the season (save for notices of extraordinary hazard - check the archives to see a few recent ones) though you can still get into trouble with both cornice fall, big snow sluffs, as well as slab avalanches.