Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Peaks Traverse (Wenatchee)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 06, 2011 9:12 pm 
Location : Wenatchee, Wa. Maps : GTM - Mission Ridge - Wenatchee, TOPO Stats : 13.5 mi, 4760' car to car (Castle Rock to Horse Lake TH)
Twin Peaks Traverse via Chopper Ridge 13.5 mi, 4760
Twin Peaks Traverse via Chopper Ridge 13.5 mi, 4760
For sometime now a few of us have wondered about an extended route across Twin Peaks aka Horse Lake Mountain to take it all in, and give the body a good workout. On Sunday Dave A, Niles, and I gave it a go, and what a diverse hike, in a great wildflower year, all though the weather forecast was off and it was generally overcast all most all the way to the summit, I was thankful for that. There is no water source the entire way, so be prepared. I could have used an extra liter. But a great route to occupy your day.
Castle Rock
Castle Rock
Dave A and Niles enjoying a break.
Dave A and Niles enjoying a break.
Overcast view looking NW from the NE summit.
Overcast view looking NW from the NE summit.
Dave A coming up to Chopper Peak, Castle Rock seen below.
Dave A coming up to Chopper Peak, Castle Rock seen below.
Up and down, left and right, wide, and narrow.
Up and down, left and right, wide, and narrow.
Niles on Chopper Ridge
Niles on Chopper Ridge
Dave A moving through the wildflower garden.
Mission Ridge / Peak
Mission Ridge / Peak

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 4:11 pm 
It was definitely a great trip, I've been wanting to do it for a long time. You just gotta love living in Wenatchee. The whole right side of the trip map is residential streets. There's not many places you can live with that kind of quality basically out your backdoor. Dave A.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 pm 
Looks like you guys took the long route. The cool weather sure has kept the ridge looking scenic. I noticed your car parked just above my back yard so my wife and I sat on the deck with binoculars, a glass of wine and camera so we could get a shot of you coming down. But, guess you ended at the Horse Lake TH instead. Great effort up.gif up.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 2:02 am 
wildernessed said
Quote:
For sometime now a few of us have wondered about an extended route across Twin Peaks aka Horse Lake Mountain to take it all in, and give the body a good workout. [ lol.gif ]
Great hike, Rob, humpy.gif although the first two miles is brutal. eek.gif After that, it gets easier the further you go, and the run down Horse Lake Ridge from Twin Peaks is a pure joy. Hard to believe, now, that there used to be a footpath all the way from the Chopper to the road on Horse Lake Mountain. There are still traces of it, in places, but the people have gone elsewhere. As you discovered, even the deer don't leave an identifiable track the whole way. lol.gif That's okay. There's never a problem with brush or blowdowns, and never a spot where the route isn't pretty obvious. As your pictures show, it's just Eastside, open country hiking at its very best. up.gif up.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 08, 2011 12:14 pm 
Yeah, it's nice right now, and extra nice this year. You probably won't see the quality and quantity of wildflowers that we had this year with the looooong cool, wet Spring, but with climate change maybe you will. The canyons down real low in the bottom are baked dry on the Horse Lake end, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a wildfire down there this year. I all most stepped on a rattle snake again, but saw him ahead of time, and he moved quick. About time to rotate regions.

Living in the Anthropocene