Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Hydro power plant on the North Fork of the Snoqualmie
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostFri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 am 
Slugman wrote:
And what is the business about not lowering rates? Why should it?
Interesting take on the interpretation of "no flood protection"... my point about lower rates for the area was based on the past attempts to place a dam on the North Fork and my interpretation that "no flood protection" meant the same as it did the last time, i.e. NB area residents (particualrly Ernie's Grove) would be responsible for bearing the risk of flooding. If that were the case, then the company or PSE should provide some type of offset in the cost of electricity since the cost of risk is on the valley residents and not the producer. Of course if it's just a pond without much water in it and no risk of flooding if the dam fails, then no issue. But it takes a fair amount of water to produce power for 13,700 homes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Jul 06, 2011 9:50 am 
I've got some additional info to share: - I've met Thom Fischer and can attest that Tollhouse is a very responsible group-- and very committed to "clean energy". - There are a number of filings with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission for "run of the river" hydro plants in our area (most recent project going forward is on Woods Creek up by Monroe). Another filing by Snohomish County PUD is on Hancock Creek, where they would take "run of the river" water from the creek and generate approx 5-10 MW of power. - The canyon in question is a big drop, has no salmon impact, no housing impacts from impoundment dams, and makes a lot of sense for a power plant. While the spokesman claims it's an expert kayak run (and the video on the kayaking website link found in the article is cool) I'd question the sanity of ANY kayaker running it eek.gif -- it's narrow, turbulent, and brutal (as a kid growing up in North Bend, I heard tales of people trying to run it in rafts and the local firefighters picking up the pieces at the bottom). I'm with Seawall-- if we insist on tearing out dams to preserve salmon (e.g. Elwha), then we'd better be ready to replace them with something. There may be some impact on a VERY FEW kayakers, but there remains plenty of great rivers for them to kayak (e.g. the White Salmon, where they just tore out ANOTHER dam). As far as the North Fork being a Wild and Scenic River, I think it's a bit late for that with all of the logging on the sides. We have to make some smart choices about how we power our society-- and we're blessed here in the NW to have abundant resources that we should make smart use of. The alternative is that we'll be burning Mideast oil until its gone, then we'll all be typing our emails by Whale Oil lamps (-- Oops! can't do that, whales are protected too.... Bear oil lamps?)... Cheers, John

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2011 10:19 am 
Thanks John.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm 
BTW, if you are interested in seeing what we're talking about, there is a non-maintained trail that leads over to overlooks on the canyon. Park near the gravel pit just off the North Fork Rd, walk through the gravel pit and there's an old road/trail you can follow (Note: this is according to my brother-- I've not walked it myself, so be skeptical accordingly (not meaning to disparage my sibling, but hockeygrin.gif ....) http://maps.google.com/?ll=47.539933,-121.742713&spn=0.001322,0.001644&t=h&z=19

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun Jul 10, 2011 10:31 am 
Say goodbye to Fantastic Falls shakehead.gif
Fantastic Falls, North Fork Snoqualmie River, Ernie's Grove