Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Non-AWD/4WD Trailhead car (30+mpg/reliability/function)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mugs

Mugs
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 12:07 am 
So back to the gas mileage thread this started out to be dizzy.gif agree.gif doh.gif Bootup I don't trust any mechanics either, I don't trust automotive technicians as we'll. Which is why I went rogue and started my own thing. So I could be fair and honest with the customer. Instead of having my service writer come back and tell me to sell a bunch of crap...which I never did by the way, and got fired over it. Or having a shop where the techs know just enough about all cars to hurt themselves and do shotty work on all of them. Allison, sorry about your experiences with subies, I hope you new car gives you lots of years with out incident. But keep in mind you will have some hefty repairs in the future. I.E. You have to remove the intake manifold to replace the 3 back, spark plugs on your car...but you have like 60k or 80k before that is necessary I think. Ok back to are regular scheduled programing. Oh and for the record, I would fire any tech that uses one of those "whizzy wheels" to resurface the block, or anything else for that matter.

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 am 
Mugs wrote:
Bootup I don't trust any mechanics either, I don't trust automotive technicians as we'll. Which is why I went rogue and started my own thing. So I could be fair and honest with the customer. Instead of having my service writer come back and tell me to sell a bunch of crap...which I never did by the way, and got fired over it. Or having a shop where the techs know just enough about all cars to hurt themselves and do shotty work on all of them.
I don't know you from Adam. You may be the best mechanic on the planet but this is just begging to be asked. You don't trust any mechanics why should anyone trust what you say either? To us you are just another mechanic out there. lol.gif What makes you different. I admit finding a trusted mechanic is very difficult.

Mugs

Mugs
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 7:08 am 
tigermn wrote:
I don't know you from Adam. You may be the best mechanic on the planet but this is just begging to be asked. You don't trust any mechanics why should anyone trust what you say either? To us you are just another mechanic out there. lol.gif What makes you different. I admit finding a trusted mechanic is very difficult.
Thats a good question. Here's my take on what I said, and should have clarified. I am definitely not the best tech out there. I know many more that are better then me. But what I meant by "I don't trust them either" was that I constantly am getting customers that have been screwed over by shop X. And that they were referred to me by their friend. I have learned through the years what shops to avoid, and what stealerships to avoid (basically all dealerships need need to be avoided, but thats a different topic) what shops do quality work, are honest, ethical, and treat the customer like a person and not a dollar sign, and what ones are not. As far as me: I'm am uber meticulous, and methodical. I place things as they come apart in separate organizer trays, and last out, is first in. When I am done there are no bolts left, and it looks like it did when it came from the factory. Even if it was a hack job when it came in, it goes out, OEM or better. Unless of course I am custom building you something, but then everything is orderly and not put together with duct tape and wire twisty connectors. Like I said I may not be the best tech out there, but I pride myself on doing a good job on what I do, and hold myself to a very high standard. I also hold the shops that I refer people out to, to the same standard, and only use a couple of shops for stuff that I know nothing about, and am I willing to admit it. I am not going to take on a job that I know nothing about, that is how a person gets into trouble. General repair on all cars sure...but if you ask me to replace the transmission on a Ford F150, I am going to say, no and refer you to my domestic friend and his shop. Your right finding a trusted tech or shop can be difficult, But rest assured there are some of out there that take pride in our work, and actually enjoy helping the customer instead of screwing them over. The best thing to do is do some calling around, a little research, and ask a friend who they use as there repair facility. And just for the record, a mechanic is a person who works on a 1972 Dodge challenger, and runs away if it has a computer on it. A technician is a person who can work on a 2005 Toyota camery or the likes.

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 10:03 am 
I'm not too worried about the "hefty" repairs, nor is my current, uber-reputable mechanic, who was pretty involved in the selection process discussions. He, along with several gearhead friends, really like the Korean makers these days.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mike

mike
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 am 
The "hefty repairs" were referring to routine maintenance that requires more than normal expense, e.g. pulling the intake manifold to check the spark plugs.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 1:01 pm 
Thanks, but I'm still fluent in English. wink.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm 
Allison wrote:
. . . my. . . mechanic. . . really like[s] the Korean makers these days.
mike wrote:
The "hefty repairs" were referring to routine maintenance that requires more than normal expense, e.g. pulling the intake manifold to check the spark plugs.
Can you say "boat payment?"

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm 
Do you know my mechanic, or are you just making glittering generalizations about them all being con artists? It's a great shop, if you're looking for a mechanic, I can highly recommend mine.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm 
Allison wrote:
It's a great shop, if you're looking for a mechanic, I can highly recommend mine.
Is this the same guy who sold you four timing belt/water pump replacements in 100K miles?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 4:38 pm 
You certainly are an ill-mannered little monkey, aren't you? Mom! Steve's throwing poo out of his cage again!

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 pm 
tigermn wrote:
What makes you different. I admit finding a trusted mechanic is very difficult.
The best way I can think of to find a good mechanic is ask around. Talk to people you know and like and find out who they take their cars to and what they think of them. I would love to recommend everyone to my friend's shop, but most of y'all don't know me except from here on the internet. If you think I'm a decent sort and wouldn't knowingly steer you wrong, then I can recommend an excellent mechanic out here in West Seattle. He is contractually prohibited from working on Subarus, BMWs, Minis, Volvos, and one or two other european brands by the company that owns the land his shop sits on. If you have a car made by a company not mentioned above and are willing to drive to W. Seattle to get a good mechanic then ask me and I'll give you his shop's name and address. The fact he can't work on Subarus really bums me out because I'd be able to get the "good friend" rate on my impending timing belt replacement (first one in over 100K miles tongue.gif ).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 9:15 pm 
How much does it cost to get the spark plugs changed on a 6 cylinder Suubaloser?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jul 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Allison wrote:
How much does it cost to get the spark plugs changed on a 6 cylinder Suubaloser?
A lot. wink.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Feb 09, 2024 5:44 am 
Prius owners reflections on their car as a "trailhead" car?