Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestion for kid backpacking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hansome

Hansome
PostMon Jun 17, 2013 2:24 pm 
Hello. It is summer again, and I'm back to this topic. Report back from last fall: 1. Backpack trip #1 - I took my friend's two children with me (she said I had to take both if I wanted her son, who is my son's friend), so I was solo mama backpacking with 3 children for our first trip. Let me tell you, the outpouring of assistance offered by others at the campsite was ridiculous. I felt like I barely had to lift a finger! My son barely made the 2 miles flat before breaking down into sourpuss. He carried essentially no weight, so he was just hiking. Once at the campsite, the kids (the 3 I brought and the rest in the campground) had loads of fun playing. 2. Backpack trip #2 - I borrowed friend again, and did an even shorter hike to lake. I did not like the scene (think beer guzzling, gun toting groups of young men). I ultimately decided to leave, and backpack further to next lake. Is it safe to assume that any short backpack will have crowds of people? What concerns me is that if I don't get a site, I have cranky children in tow that I need to hike further with or back out, and not relishing either of these options. I would also love to do kid backing with others, if anyone would like to go! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jun 17, 2013 3:04 pm 
anyplace with animals, water, mud, and not too many bugs. Lots of treats/snacks for when they get tired. Marmots & pikas make you a winner. If it's hot, you want lake or river. Years ago we did a multiday backpack at St. Helens, started at Coldwater Lake, camped in a clearcut north of the blast zone. Elk bugling, coyotes howling, blasted logging equipment. There's a nest of trails there, one of which threads through a cannonhole in a ridge crest. You round a ridge and presto! Fog is obliterating your stunning view of the yawning crater. We went back next morning when it had cleared. That volcano is memorable to kids.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Jun 17, 2013 3:10 pm 
This thread is relevant to my interest! Taking the kidling out for her 1st backpack this year (she's already and accomplished hiker). I'd love to have other kidlings to join us. Let's arrange something!! smile.gif

Hansome

Hansome
PostTue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm 
Yes, yes, yes!!! I did compile all the suggestions from this thread. They are below (hopefully I didn't miss anything): Bogachiel Greenwater Lakes Pete lake Packwood lake Watson Lakes Cutthroat Lake (hwy20) ocean beaches Twin Sisters lakes (Bumping R. if the road is open) Yellow Aster Tarns (not flat) Barclay Lake Trout Lake in Foss Lakes chain Evan Lake near Skykomish on Maloney Ridge Kelcema Lake Hearts Pass and southbound PCT Hyas Lake Boardman Lake Siuoxon Creek area Sheep Lake, Chinook Pass

Tuskadero

Tuskadero
PostTue Jun 18, 2013 9:29 pm 
I took my daughter 2 weeks ago on a 2 nighter to Cape Alava. She is 5 and we were joined by a friend and his 7 year old son. We had an absolute blast. She carried her own sleeping bag, pillow pet, and about half her clothes. She didn't complain or whine once. She rocked it! I brought her rubber boots so she could explore the tide pools and we hiked down to Wedding Rock and turned the search for the petroglyphs into a scavenger hunt. Great place for kids, especially if you luck out on the weather like we did. Here is a link to my report if anyone is interested... http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=78300

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jun 18, 2013 11:49 pm 
I'm still interested in backpacking with kiddos. During the week is easier for me to schedule, but I have a couple of free weekends this summer. The hardest part is the lack of backpacking tent(s) but I have friends I can sometimes borrow from.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 8:37 am 
You can always borrow that orange one (I might need it back this weekend though). I'd love to get out on a kiddo trip! I suggested Hope/Mig Lakes to Handsome... berries, lakes, flowers, PCT. All my favorite things. Fishing too if that is your thing. I think it is 2-3 miles in to the lakes. Bring bug spray.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 am 
A note about Hyas Lake, don't go too early in the season -- there is a section of trail where creeks inundate the trail during high run off. Also look carefully on a USGS topo map and notice that the trail crosses "skeeter creek" -- that is no lie. My 7 yo daughter was in tears after crossing that section on the way back one June afternoon

Hansome

Hansome
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 pm 
Regarding bug spray, what is safe (& effective??) to use on kids? I don't want to use DEET.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 5:12 pm 
Avon skin so soft.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm 
Having clothes with long sleeves, long pants and and a headnet provide the greatest protection. Plus this allows you to apply repellent only to the clothes and not the kid. DEET gets a bad rap, that the science doesn't support. Note that not all alternatives are inherently safer -- for example "oil of lemon eucalyptus" is not reccommended by the EPA for kids under 3. "Permethrin" a product used in bug repellent clothing does have some cancer risk -- at least for people working on a long term basis as agricultural permethrin appliers.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm 
If anyone wants to have a kids hike to Packwood Lake in July or August, post or PM!

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSun Jul 07, 2013 4:00 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
DEET gets a bad rap, that the science doesn't support.
um, yes it does. There are many studies that prove DEET is extremely harmful to amphibians who are very susceptible to its toxins causing death and/or genetic mutations. Like bees these days amphibians are dying at an extremely rapid pace (introduction of DEET, pesticides, etc. into our waterways). Besides their integral importance to the ecological cycles of nature which we are all a part of, they also play an important role in keeping mosquito populations in check - mosquito larva being part of their diet. Introducing DEET into our pristine mountain streams and lakes is extremely harmful. Kids (and adults too!) are naturally attracted to bodies of water and amphibians. My nine year old and I hiked up Mt. Defiance recently on the 4th - I think the highlight of the trip for her was The Frog.
Given the consequences we are a DEET free household. I just took a look at what we do have - BugBand and Herbal Armor are 2 naturally derived insect repellants. Citronella, Peppermint, Cedar oils, etc. I'm sure there's other brands too. happy hiking!