Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Island Mountain - 7.9.2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 1:02 pm 
Goat Island Mountain is a massive mountain that separates the Emmons and Fryingpan Glaciers in Mount Rainier National Park... and while she offers a gentle two mile west ridge approach to her summit, a person has to put in a lot of work to reach the west end of the mountain where the west ridge is most accessible. I had done the west ridge route two years earlier under perfect snow conditions... as snow still covered Fryingpan Creek and the lateral moraines west of Summerland... making for easy snow travel... a route that was ~13.5 miles roundtrip, gaining ~4000 feet of elevation. After reading SAReno's recent trip report of accessing the summit via the east ridge we knew there was an elk trail that would take us most of the way to the summit... however, we still weren't sure where to leave the Wonderland Trail. The contour lines on our USGS topo map only showed forgiveness in one place on the east side of GIM, but we were looking for confirmation... so Snowdog contacted Ree... and Ree sent us a map that confirmed our thoughts on where to leave the Wonderland Trail and head up. From the Fryingpan Creek parking area... hike the connector trail for .1 miles... turn right onto the Wonderland Trail and hike toward the White River Campground... hike the Wonderland Trail for 10 minutes (a half mile) and you will find the east ridge. The Wonderland Trail makes an obvious bend at this point... and while you can't see cars on the road 50 feet below, you can definitely hear them. Note that the elk trail is not obvious where you want to leave the main trail, but you will find it very quickly. GIM's east ridge wasted no time in gaining elevation... as we followed the elk trail (which either stayed on the ridge or just left of it) to ~5800 feet... where we left the ridge and crossed a basin to another east-trending ridge that took us directly to the summit (7288'). After spending an hour on the summit, we made the leisurely 2 mile stroll along GIM's west ridge... constantly being harassed by Mt. Rainier in our face... to the point where we left GIM's west ridge at ~6400 feet... made our way down to an interesting crossing of Fryingpan Creek... then a tedious hike over the lateral moraines to Summerland... where we found the Wonderland Trail that took us back to the car. ~11.5 miles roundtrip, gaining ~4200 feet of elevation. Stunning views on this hike... everyone deserves to make the 2-mile ridge walk from the GIM summit to the west end of the mountain. Good news... the footbridge just below Summerland has been repaired. Maps and photos of our trip to Goat Island Mountain. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm 
That looks like a really cool trip. How bad was the bushwhacking (or was it), coming up the east ridge?

silence

silence
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 2:16 pm 
sweet .. who knew? seriously I never thought about that approach ... and there's even a trail ..

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 pm 
After seeing earlier TR"s on this route, I pestered Ragman into giving it a go. biggrin.gif Finding the Elk trail was easy peesy. Those guys make more of a Freeway than a game trail. They do not, however, walk in single file, so there are numerous side trails that can pull you in different directions. At one point Ragman dubbed me "Elk Woman" or "One who walks with Elk" commenting on my uncanny ability to stay on the main trail. Did I mention it resembled an interstate highway??? lol.gif He was simply being kind. I acquired other, more colorful knicknames as the day wore on. This route wastes no time gaining, and soon we popped out exactly where we wanted to be. We trended left, picked up the ridge to the high point, and voila- there we were! Now we had ample lunch break, and the anticipation of the looong ridge walk.
Playing around w/ zoom
Playing around w/ zoom
pretty little un-named lake
pretty little un-named lake
ridge one earns the walk of by climbing up the east side of GIP.
ridge one earns the walk of by climbing up the east side of GIP.
Off we went- and it was spectacular, every step of the way. Then the descent began-being careful not to start down too soon. We reached FryingPan creek, which posed a bit of an obstacle to cross. We climbed back up to some thin snow and gingerly tip-toed across.
think light thoughts, and walk quickly
think light thoughts, and walk quickly
sketchy snow "bridges"......
sketchy snow "bridges"......
Then it was just a matter of descending to the bridge, or was it? The terrain steepened, and Barb,(in the lead) started going up to intersect the Summerland Trail. She kept going. And going. I began to loudly protest rant.gif going up when we wanted to be going down. I said I was Hot,Tired and Cranky. They agreed. Another knickname acquired! (I'm guessing a few other knicknames crossed their minds too) We emerged right at the Summerland shelter. I will always believe Barb simply wished to visit summerland since we were so close....probably planned it all along... agree.gif
unplanned visit to Summerland
unplanned visit to Summerland
We picked up the trail, and stopped to dunk our tired toes in the creek, instantly numbing all the pain away. 4.2 miles later, we were back at the car.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 3:22 pm 
tigermn wrote:
How bad was the bushwhacking (or was it), coming up the east ridge?
Not bad at all... those elk have really big butts. Know that the absolute best time to do this loop is when there is still snow on the Wonderland Trail a half-mile to a mile below the footbridge crossing of Fryingpan Creek just below Summerland. That would pretty much guarantee that snow would still be covering the lateral moraines west of Summerland... making for ideal snow travel over that crap... not to mention an easy crossing of Fryingpan Creek up near the west end of GIM. I would consider the east ridge route an excellent summer route... then maybe hike the west ridge from the summit a mile or so over to Point 7218... then trace your steps back to the summit and go back down the east ridge. I would also recommend checking with the Park about the condition of the footbridge crossing of Fryingpan Creek below Summerland... just ask Opus and tribe about this... they got to wade across it on their earlier trip this year because the bridge was out... and IMO, Fryingpan Creek rates as a serious creek crossing. --------------------------------------
Snowdog wrote:
I said I was Hot,Tired and Cranky. They agreed. Another knickname acquired! (I'm guessing a few other knicknames crossed their minds too)
How does "Whines no more forever" work? Feel free to replace "whines" with your favorite word of choice... smile.gif --

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
ree

ree
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 10:04 pm 
Glad it was fun. Hope the map helped some.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 10:50 pm 
I love it. up.gif Thanks for the TR. This peak is definitely worth going back to.

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 am 
Snowdog wrote:
I will always believe Barb simply wished to visit summerland since we were so close....probably planned it all along... agree.gif
Of course, I love Summerland, so why pass up a good thing with a perfectly nice trail hockeygrin.gif Just a few hundert extra feet at the end of a long day vent.gif You always like a bit more conditioning. lol.gif BTW ree, the map helped a lot. The East Ridge worked great. We named it the "ree-route" smile.gif
naming peaks
naming peaks
Ragman on the steep east ridge
Ragman on the steep east ridge
East ridge walk
East ridge walk
made it!
made it!
cool summit
cool summit
napping on the summit
napping on the summit
Sunrise Park from Goat Island summit
Sunrise Park from Goat Island summit
heather on Goat Island
heather on Goat Island
Sourdough Ridge trail
Sourdough Ridge trail
photographer at work
photographer at work
White River and tarn
White River and tarn
ridgewalk along Goat Island
ridgewalk along Goat Island
Goat Island
Goat Island
Summerland almost melted out
Summerland almost melted out
Ragman & the Cowlitz Chimneys
Ragman & the Cowlitz Chimneys
glacier pattern
glacier pattern
looking into Summerland and Panhandle gap
looking into Summerland and Panhandle gap
small hikers, big mountain
small hikers, big mountain
looking for a better way
looking for a better way
tough terrain
tough terrain
bushwhacking up to Summerland
bushwhacking up to Summerland
didn't think we'd be here
didn't think we'd be here
trail from Summerland
trail from Summerland
Fryingpan Creek bridge
Fryingpan Creek bridge

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 am 
BarbE wrote:
tough terrain
tough terrain
Yea I'm thinking maybe east ridge out and back this summer.

iron

iron
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 9:27 am 
that tarn looks pretty sweet!

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostFri Jul 12, 2013 4:22 pm 
ree wrote:
Hope the map helped some.
Ree... your map gave us extreme confidence... which I suppose could be a bad thing... smile.gif