Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gold Ridge, Buckskin Ridge, W. Pasayten River Loop (9/19-22)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 11:49 pm 
Text: Cascade Traverser Photos: Tshletshy Dreamer I had originally planned for a more rigorous traverse, but weather and partner wishes opted for a trail hike, so to the east side we went... Day One Got a really early start from Seattle but still only managed to depart the Slate Peak trailhead at 12:30.
Getting ready on the Slate Peak Road
Getting ready on the Slate Peak Road
Lovely meadows and easy travel with nice views back to Robinson Pass and down the the Middle Fork Pasayten river; up north the big burn is visible.
Looking north to Gold and Buckskin Ridges
Looking north to Gold and Buckskin Ridges
Made pretty quick time to Silver lake and ran into several parties of hunters along the way. A fierce cool wind blew down valley all day long. Silver lake is nice but shallow and I doubt much for fish (didn`t try though). Onto to the trail to Buckskin Lake. For those heading on, don`t try to find the trail from the lake but rather backtrack on the trail 50-100 yards or so to an obvious unmarked intersection. This section is a whole different ballgame from the easy breeze trail to that point. First you drop down into the forest and through some wet boggy muddy trails and then head back up (a reoccurring theme on this trail) to Silver Pass. Then you drop down again another 500 feet or so and then make your way back on the west side of Buckskin ridge up a small steep gravely trail back to about the level you lost and passing one nice stream begin a long traverse on a narrow caliper trail over a very steep slope (nice views somewhat hampered by what smelled and looked like forest fire smoke; we couldn`t quite place where that was coming from??) which eventually a mile or two later widened and the slope became more gentle until dropping briefly through a dry basin and then switchbacked up to a pass at 7200 feet.
Late season bloom, Buckskin Ridge
Late season bloom, Buckskin Ridge
Afternoon light on Buckskin Ridge
Afternoon light on Buckskin Ridge
View of Cascade Crest from Buckskin Ridge
View of Cascade Crest from Buckskin Ridge
Time was waning and the breeze was cold and we immediately dropped down into a wet basin with a small tarn and then climbed back up another mile or so in the dark by now finally arriving at Buckskin Lake. Whew! A pretty tiring day I suspect would best be broken up into two. Had dinner and happily slept... Day 2 Next morning woke to clear skies and beautiful Buckskin Lake.
Buckskin Lake in the morning
Buckskin Lake in the morning
Very nice place. Would have liked to have tried fishing as it looked promising but needed to get going early so without much ado, headed down the surprising nice trail down to the Middle Fork Pasayten.
On Buckskin Ridge descending to the Middle Fork Pasayten
On Buckskin Ridge descending to the Middle Fork Pasayten
Looking towards Point Defiance
Looking towards Point Defiance
Mushrooms everywhere!
Mushrooms at Buckskin Lake
Mushrooms at Buckskin Lake
Took the right at the junction and then crossed the ankle deep waters to the other side and hiked the burn followed by lodgepole forest to the junction with Shellrock pass trail.
Middle Fork Pasayten River
Middle Fork Pasayten River
Burn zone, Middle Fork Pasayten
Burn zone, Middle Fork Pasayten
The next generation of Lodgepole Pines
The next generation of Lodgepole Pines
Aspen grove, Middle Fork Pasayten River
Aspen grove, Middle Fork Pasayten River
Up we headed and in 1500 feet found ourselves at the shore of Fred`s Lake. Cool place. Made a big fire, relaxed and caught up on life`s tales until the stars came out.
Afternoon light on Fred's Lake
Afternoon light on Fred's Lake
Cooking fire at Fred's Lake
Cooking fire at Fred's Lake
Day 3 Slept in, made a nice fire and boiled up some cowboy coffee and decided we wanted to check out the old Point Defiance trail so headed down 500 feet to the junction.
Spruce Grouse near Fred's Lake
Spruce Grouse near Fred's Lake
This is a really nice path skirting a lovely ridge and is easy to follow to a nice little lake.
Middle Fork Pasayten valley from Point Defiance Trail
Middle Fork Pasayten valley from Point Defiance Trail
Panorama of Buckskin Ridge from Point Defiance trail
Panorama of Buckskin Ridge from Point Defiance trail
From there the trail continued to the nice meadows of Pleasant Valley and then petered out.
Lake at Pleasant Valley, Point Defiance trail
Lake at Pleasant Valley, Point Defiance trail
My sense was it wouldn't be too hard to traverse the forest up to the ridge and run the ridge back to the north trailhead (anybody out there done it??). Back to camp where I thought I would give fishing a try and surprised myself with a nice first cast sizable trout.
Teal crocs increase the bite rate
Teal crocs increase the bite rate
Dinner @ Fred's Lake
Dinner @ Fred's Lake
Caught 2 more for Bruce and Will and then decided to hike up the ridge above the lake.
Pika, Fred's Lake
Pika, Fred's Lake
Ran into Will on the way up who commented on the beauty and quietude of the land above. Got up there and was wowed.
Monument Peak from trail to Lake Doris
Monument Peak from trail to Lake Doris
Osceola, Carru, Lago, and Shellrock Pass
Osceola, Carru, Lago, and Shellrock Pass
Osceola Peak
Osceola Peak
Will and I had done the whole loop from here to Shellrock pass and onto Lake of the woods and Pistol pass 20 years prior and it was very eerie looking down to all that territory long ago traveled. I felt very nostalgic and simultaneously wished I was heading onwards not back....
Doris Lake
Doris Lake
Pasayten 028
Pasayten 028
Got back to the fire and cooked the trout with garlic and oil over some coals and relaxed. Day 4 Woke up to big snowflakes as the long promised inclement weather had arrived. Bundled up our gear after coffee and breakfast and headed down to the Middle Fork trail and headed south and ran into a very amiable horseman Steve (of Nooksack I believe) and shared some conversation and headed on to the Slate Pass connector trail. Some really nice camps near the river there with beautiful valley views (will have to go back someday with the family) and then made the stiff 1500 foot climb to Slate peak, initially in rain and in snow on arrival!
Middle Fork Pasayten mushrooms
Middle Fork Pasayten mushrooms
Middle Fork Pasayten fungus
The upper reaches of the Middle Fork Pasayten River
The upper reaches of the Middle Fork Pasayten River
Really nice to share company with Will and great to get Bruce back out! Fall is definitely here and it feels like a cold and wet one...Sure was nice to be back in the Pasayten after quite a while.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 6:02 am 
looks beautiful. glad you got 3 days of good weather!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:07 am 
Looks like big mileage in big country. up.gif Half of your routes aren't even showing up on my topo as trails. Gonna have to check an actual map.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:24 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Will and I had done the whole loop from here to Shellrock pass and onto Lake of the woods and Pistol pass 20 years prior and it was very eerie looking down to all that territory long ago traveled. I felt very nostalgic and simultaneously wished I was heading onwards not back....
Every hiker should do that loop as much of the trail After Shellrock is slowly disappearing after over 25 years of no maintenance other than that done by the hands of passing travelers. I often think of getting a few people together with some tools to do some rogue trail work along Monument and Ptarmigan Cks, some of the best of the Pasayten IMO.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostSun Sep 29, 2013 9:35 am 
Excellent trip and TR. You and your photographer, Tshletshy Dreamer (great user name!), have portrayed that country in a very appealing way that makes me want to head up there. But given the weather this weekend, looks like that'll have to wait for next summer. I'm glad you guys were able to work this trip into one of the few windows of mostly decent weather we've had this September.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:54 am 
Thanks for the kind words... Magellan: Green trails has em all. Lots of cool old trails around. The Buckskin ridge trail was easy to follow and with few blowdowns and the part of the Point Defiance trail we did was pretty clear as well. RichP: Agreed; gotta do that one again from start to finish. Its a bummer about the state of alot of the Pasayten trails presently. Another of my favorites is the Three Fools trail to Elbow Basin and beyond. Amazing place but at risk of being lost for good. "Ancient" Ambler: I think you might have to change your moniker after your last post! I know you are an Olympics guy, but the Pasayten is really worth an extended trip. It is very different from the wild rough grandeur of the North Cascades and the intricate beauty of the Olympics. Its big, wide and wonderful...Don`t hesitate to PM me with any trip suggestions!

It's the water

It's the water
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 6:34 am 
I'm always a little hesitant to backpack this area in September because of the high hunt. I like solitude. How was your experience as far as number of hunters? Any outfitters on the river? Did you feel you wanted to avoid any area because there were hunters nearby? Thanks for the report. I really want to go to Freds and Ferguson someday.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostMon Sep 30, 2013 1:27 pm 
ITW: Very reasonable concern; generally I avoid the wildernesses as well this time of year, but the weather pointed us east. We ran into two hunting parties between Slate and Silver lake and one group of horsers in the valley. All very affable I might add. The more remote sections were lonely. Silver lake to Buckskin Lake and above the river on the east side of the valley, it was quiet. Heading east from Fred`s is, I suspect, pretty much always lonely....The loop from Freds to Shellrock Pass to Lake of the woods and over to Pistol pass and out the lost river is verrry lonely.

Tshletshy Dreamer

Tshletshy Dreamer
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 am 
Yep, the hunters that we met were cool, and we didn't hear any gunshots (the bucks were doing a good job of hiding). We also ran into one NOLS group that was headed for Ferguson Lake, but we still got our share of solitude. As cascadetraverser pointed out the trail over to Shellrock Pass would be even quieter. Agree with RichP that the loss of trails in the Pasayten needs to be addressed. When we hiked in the area twenty years ago, we ran into a trail maintenance crew. They had large two man saws and plenty of provisions for a multiweek stay in the woods. Sigh - back then the 3 Fools trail was probably still open. Steve, the horsepacker that we met, was doing his part, but would be great if hikers got in on the act as well.

mdk

mdk
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 pm 
"I often think of getting a few people together with some tools to do some rogue trail work along Monument and Ptarmigan Cks, some of the best of the Pasayten IMO" Have had similar thoughts myself after going into Lake of the Woods solo a couple of years ago via Monument Creek trail. That's an amazing bit of trail work up the ridge and especially across the steep slopes below Pistol Peaks. Well built too, most of the tread is intact, just getting lost under blowdowns and brush. Water is a problem up the ridge, but I've considered camping just across Eureka Creek and day tripping up, with saws and loppers. Getting across Eureka early in the season can be hazardous though. Any idea what the FS reaction would be to finding someone(s) "brushing and limbing" on one of those abandoned trails would be?

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 pm 
Hmm; what they don`t know won`t hurt them.

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 pm 
I've frequently wondered about what the regulations re: "unscheduled" maintainance is. Obviously, for "official" reasons they would discourage it but .....

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 10:49 pm 
What would the reqs. re: making a "use" trail in a rarely visited area be. I'm sorry, but I'm not like those in the Audubon or North Cascades Council (right group?) that anything that smells like man should be banned. I don't think trails are devastating to the environment. Ever been in the back country and come across an elk trail up a hill? Much worse than even our despised horses leave! Matter of fact, the one I came across in MRNP was worse than most ATV trails!

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am 
Hiker Mike: When I ran into the horse outfit out there on the Middle Fork Pasayten, they had a saw and Polaski along. My sense is they cut the downfall and moved it out of the way. Somehow I don`t think anyone minds if you move the blowdown out of the way. Rerouting or changing the trail entirely is another matter. I suspect you are right about the USFS saying no to any sort of maintenience, likely for legal reasons. I suspect contacting the Horse associations on their take on this could be helpful. You`re right about the messy trails Elk make. But lets be honest, horses make a mess of trails (especially muddy ones). That said, I think it is counterproductive to pit horsers against hikers. We all love the wilderness and should be allies in its preservation. I should add, I love using the cool camps you make. This might be best moved to the Trail talk thread too!

tommytownsend

tommytownsend
PostThu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 am 
Way to squeeze one last trip out of a spectacular season. Choosing to spend the weekend on the wet side instead of joining you was a decision I wish I could make again.