PostThu Sep 25, 2014 6:15 am 
The Sol duck has not crested yet.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 pm 
In my previous entry I posted a graphic which showed a 90% increase in flow over a 30-hour period. After cresting at 3680 cfs at 2:30 pm PDT Wednesday, September 24, the river dropped down to 1360 cfs the evening of Thursday, September 25. Another system blew in from the southwest, and it crested at 12:30 PM PDT today, Friday September 26, at 9820 cfs, an 87% increase in flow in less than 15 hours.
usgs 12040500 092614 1230 PDT 9820 cfs
usgs 12040500 092614 1230 PDT 9820 cfs
This is most likely the end of the season for hiking up there. If you'd been up the trail dilly-dallying around waiting for the rain to stop, you would now be stuck on the wrong side of the river, waiting for it to drop low enough to ford, which will take at least several days to a couple weeks if it stops raining. ONP does not perform SAR missions for people stuck on the gravel bar opposite the mouth of Sams because the river came up.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostFri Sep 26, 2014 9:13 pm 
Damn those deviled eggs look good! tongue.gif Looks like you had a nice relaxing solo trip, w/no shortage of dips in the Queets. wink.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 pm 
they weren't deviled eggs... just plain ol' hard boiled eggs. I packed a zip-lock with some seasoning salt for them which kind of made them appear that way. it was way too warm that day for packing deviled eggs! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Sep 27, 2014 5:16 am 
I find it interesting that the Queets bumped up to 10000 where as the mighty Hoh only squeeked out 3800.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 27, 2014 11:09 am 
The Queets watershed is a fairly good size area, and the USGS gaging station numbers include the flow of its largest tributaries, the Clearwater and Solleks Rivers immediately to the north. Doubtless the Quinault and Hoh watersheds are also good-sized, and the Bogachiel-Calawah as well (although probably to a lesser extent). But you can pick any river on the Olympic Peninsula and look at the flow numbers and I don't think you will find such wild fluctuations over such short timespans. If you examine the topography closely, it starts to make sense: the Queets opens onto the Pacific at just the right aspect to funnel those "pineapple express" systems from the southwest right up the valley. To paraphrase John Meyer, former fisheries biologist at ONP, from a phone conversation over 25 years ago, "The Queets is probably the most dynamic river on the Peninsula (in terms of streamflow fluctuation), if not the entire State." (some numbers cited here) Having watched those numbers continuously for over 15 years, I tend to agree with him on that point.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSat Sep 27, 2014 5:19 pm 
Ski wrote:
they weren't deviled eggs... just plain ol' hard boiled eggs.
doh.gif Oh yeah, upon closer inspection of the pic I see they are just hard boiled....still yummy I'm sure. up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
CHECKTHISOUT

CHECKTHISOUT
PostSun Sep 28, 2014 11:51 pm 
Ski wrote:
The Queets watershed is a fairly good size area, and the USGS gaging station numbers include the flow of its largest tributaries, the Clearwater and Solleks Rivers immediately to the north. Doubtless the Quinault and Hoh watersheds are also good-sized, and the Bogachiel-Calawah as well (although probably to a lesser extent). But you can pick any river on the Olympic Peninsula and look at the flow numbers and I don't think you will find such wild fluctuations over such short timespans. If you examine the topography closely, it starts to make sense: the Queets opens onto the Pacific at just the right aspect to funnel those "pineapple express" systems from the southwest right up the valley. To paraphrase John Meyer, former fisheries biologist at ONP, from a phone conversation over 25 years ago, "The Queets is probably the most dynamic river on the Peninsula (in terms of streamflow fluctuation), if not the entire State." (some numbers cited here) Having watched those numbers continuously for over 15 years, I tend to agree with him on that point.
I was staying out on the coast last week and left my coffee cup out for a couple days and it captured about 5 inches of rain...hence the reason for the overnight jump to 10,000 CFS in a day with it receding back to 1200 CFS in a day.... Brought the Coho out of the salt too. smile.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 am 
currently 1330 cfs @ 23:30 PDT 092814 - down from 9820 in 59 hours. if I remember correctly, when I looked at some numbers Friday morning NWS said 2.28 inches of rain in 24 hours at Owl Mountain - just to the north of Queets Ridge. and yes, it does get those silvery things moving up the ditch in a hurry. smile.gif