Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Rainier Grand Tour: Pt 1 East (6.22-24.15)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 6:09 pm 
Rainier Grand Tour
Rainier Grand Tour
Intro Last year I came up with a hike that might be subtitled "Beyond the Wonderland." In toto this trek will encompass 150 miles and 50,000 feet of vertical. I wanted to probe higher on the mountain and take advantage of off trail sections, using the WT and other trails for variety and access. This first part might be considered the "easy" part between Longmire and White River, traveling counter clockwise. I envision a 9 day trip so this will help break it up somewhat into more manageable sections. Day 1. (19 miles/7500') First many thanks to my wife and her friend Debbie, who repositioned my vehicle from Longmire to White River, saving me a half day of biking. I arrived at Longmire just as the ranger station was opening and waited a short time in line to get my permit, staying at Maple Creek campground on the first night and in a cross country zone on night two. The weather forecast was neither good nor bad, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I did have hopes of climbing above the cloud sea and enjoying some sunshine on this first day. My route used the WT to Narada Falls, then the trail to Paradise, to Muir, to Pan Point where I took the Skyline Trail to the Lakes Trail to the WT to finish. This day was interesting in that it was a basic 7500' push all the way to Muir, then a descent back to 2800 feet. My legs were feeling the constant descent but I needed to get them back into hiking shape anyway. The challenge of the Grand Tour is packing for all conditions one will find from low elevations to 10,000 feet, but I've pretty much got my gear dialed in and still enjoyed a fairly light pack. My entire sleep system is rolled in a "taco" where I leave my EE quilt attached to a NeoAir XLite inside a custom eVent bivy and just throw it down when it's time to sleep. This section was mostly on trail and I had some great encounters chatting with people over these 3 days, from day hikers to thru hikers to fastpackers to climbers. Anyway, I rolled into the Maple Creek camp at 10 PM and planned on sleeping in as I was sleep deprived from a recent overseas trip....no alarms for me!
1.1 cloudy over Nisqually River
1.1 cloudy over Nisqually River
1.2 the pipe
1.2 the pipe
1.3 Carter Falls
1.3 Carter Falls
1.4 Narada Falls
1.4 Narada Falls
1.5 Paradise River falls
1.5 Paradise River falls
1.6 new steps at Paradise
1.6 new steps at Paradise
1.7 Crevasse warning
1.7 Crevasse warning
1.8 snow ramps below Muir snowfield
1.8 snow ramps below Muir snowfield
1.9 typical scene on Muir snowfield
1.9 typical scene on Muir snowfield
1.10 contemplating the struggle ahead
1.10 contemplating the struggle ahead
1.11 prepping for tonight
1.11 prepping for tonight
1.14 step carefully
1.14 step carefully
1.15 after the fact
1.15 after the fact
1.12 suncups on the snowfield
1.12 suncups on the snowfield
1.13 rock formations on the Skyline trail
1.13 rock formations on the Skyline trail
1.16 oasis on the Skyline trail
1.16 oasis on the Skyline trail
1.17 "you talkin' to me?"
1.17 "you talkin' to me?"
1.18 crowded field
1.18 crowded field
1.19 land of contrasts
1.19 land of contrasts
1.20 a dwindling Martha Falls
1.20 a dwindling Martha Falls
Day 2 (14 miles/4000') I did indeed get some good sleep and consequently got back on the trail like at 9:45, but this was a planned kick back day, almost all on trail. The weather cooperated and I enjoyed mild temps and no bugs (again), lingering at Indian Bar and sauntering up to the Panhandle Gap area. I wasn't sure what to expect higher up near Banshee as the clouds were dark and ugly looking over that area so I chose a bivy spot amongst some trees lower down. By evening it was getting quite chilly so I pulled out all the stops for sleeping and hit the rack at 7 PM, wanting another night of good sleep but planning on an early morning get up. It got cold enough during the evening to have frost on my bivy the next morning but I stayed relatively toasty with a great view to the stars (after a clearing night) and the mountain.
2.0 still standing
2.0 still standing
2.1 Stevens Creek
2.1 Stevens Creek
2.2 stacked shrooms
2.2 stacked shrooms
2.3 Indian Bar straight ahead
2.3 Indian Bar straight ahead
2.4 Bark-a-Lounger
2.4 Bark-a-Lounger
2.6 feeding the Ohanapecosh
2.6 feeding the Ohanapecosh
2.6 Idyllic Indian Bar
2.6 Idyllic Indian Bar
2.7 steps on snow- nada
2.7 steps on snow- nada
2.9 mini falls in Ohanapecosh Park
2.9 mini falls in Ohanapecosh Park
2.10 camping spot dead ahead
2.10 camping spot dead ahead
2.11 snow field remnants
2.11 snow field remnants
2.12 Panhandle Gap to left of trees
2.12 Panhandle Gap to left of trees
Day 3 (12 miles/2600') Up at 5 AM, I got dressed and left for Banshee, a 1000' climb with only my camera tucked inside my jacket, stopping constantly to snap the rising sun on Rainier. The views were so incredible, with low angle light hues, the company of the goat herd, the thick ground cover of still blooming flowers, the sun rising above a flowing mass of clouds between the Cowlitz Chimneys, and the lingering cloud sea still covering the folks camped at Indian Bar, that I took two hours going up and down. Then I ate breakfast overlooking Ohanapecosh Park with ever changing cloud fingers below. But hoping to finish by early afternoon, I eventually left and transited a snowless Panhandle Gap. I chatted with some folks at the bridge above Summerland but when I arrived there no one was to be seen. I tanked up and headed out cross country, negotiating the terrain that eventually deposits one at a saddle to access Goat Island Mountain. This area is especially impressive as views abound both left and right, allowing an all encompassing view looking over to Banshee and down on Summerland, sighting the trail all the way to Panhandle Gap. Once the descent off the ridge on the other side begins the fun meter starts to rise, as one must negotiate a steep heather section to work over to the ridge that will deposit one eventually on the Wonderland. I made the error of getting off the spine and found myself on very steep treed terrain where I fell on my arse 3 times accompanied by a string of epithets. I eventually emerged from the trees, with pine needles plastered to my sunscreened neck and dirty buttocks. It was nice to be on gentle trail by that point and I strode to the White River crossing. It was interesting to see that the bridge over the White River didn't span the whole river, but no mind as I knew my vehicle was just across the way, so I waded through ankle deep chilly water to mount the shaven tree. I was about an hour and a half later than I wanted to be but when I got to my car my wife had left a thermos of hot coffee and a cooler with drinks and food, eliciting a giddy "Oh Boy!" response from me as I partook after cleaning up and changing.
3.0 sunrise below Banshee
3.0 sunrise below Banshee
3.01 early morning in Ohanapecosh Park
3.01 early morning in Ohanapecosh Park
3.02 Banshee right, Cowlitz Chimneys center
3.02 Banshee right, Cowlitz Chimneys center
3.03 a long way down
3.03 a long way down
3.04 flowing clouds
3.04 flowing clouds
3.05 cliffs and shadow
3.05 cliffs and shadow
3.06 goat line
3.06 goat line
3.07 fluffballs in field
3.07 fluffballs in field
3.08 goats below Goat Island Mountain
3.08 goats below Goat Island Mountain
3.09 snow free Panhandle Gap
3.09 snow free Panhandle Gap
3.10 a few tarns left
3.10 a few tarns left
3.11 the Green Tarn
3.11 the Green Tarn
3.12 thriving around water
3.12 thriving around water
3.13 crossing Fryingpan Creek
3.13 crossing Fryingpan Creek
3.14 terrain ahead to access Goat Island Mtn
3.14 terrain ahead to access Goat Island Mtn
3.15 view from the saddle
3.15 view from the saddle
3.16 saddle pano
3.16 saddle pano
3.17 looking down ridgeline to access point
3.17 looking down ridgeline to access point
3.19 zoom of Banshee
3.19 zoom of Banshee
3.20 Summerland center, Panhandle Gap upper left
3.20 Summerland center, Panhandle Gap upper left
3.21 the "other" Green Tarn, Sunrise upper right
3.21 the "other" Green Tarn, Sunrise upper right
3.22 GIM just before descent off ridge
3.22 GIM just before descent off ridge
Outro My daughter returns home in two weeks so I'm hoping to continue or finish this Grand Tour with her. I have over 100 miles and 36,000 feet left, which should make for a very interesting and tough outing, exactly what I had in mind.

I desire medium danger williswall.com

Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 6:30 pm 
Wow, your pics from your morning climb of Banshee and the goat herd are stunning! Nice job.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 7:39 pm 
What a great variation for going around the Mountain! I'm looking forward to Part 2!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Distel32

Distel32
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 9:12 pm 
up.gif