Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Boys Of 36
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Aug 04, 2016 10:21 pm 
Sounds like a movie will be out soon. Not sure how I feel about that...although Kenneth Branagh is directing! http://www.row2k.com/news/4-1-2016/Cast-of--Boys-in-the-Boat--Movie-Announced/99798/#.V6QgWzXHKM8 I liked the TV show. And the piece that preceded it (at least on Spokane PBS) on Nazis and the '36 Olympic spectacle was equally good. The book is a GREAT read! I have loose connection; my father in law (99 now) had an older brother, who rowed for CAL in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics, and won gold. Sadly he died in the 1960's and my wife recalls very little about her uncle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Frango

Frango
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 9:24 am 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Sounds like a movie will be out soon. Not sure how I feel about that...although Kenneth Branagh is directing! http://www.row2k.com/news/4-1-2016/Cast-of--Boys-in-the-Boat--Movie-Announced/99798/#.V6QgWzXHKM8
...you may want to check the date of that article. The folks at row2k are nutty pranksters! biggrin.gif tongue.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 5:57 pm 
Apparently the 10 people ahead were very fast readers. The book appeared today and I have been reading. Now if the one slow snail like reader who was ahead of me for another book that I've been waiting for 2 months would hurry a bit. waah.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Aug 05, 2016 7:19 pm 
Ha, the book is a fast read.

jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Dec 21, 2023 10:32 pm 
JimK
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostTue Dec 26, 2023 9:25 pm 
We checked out the audio book and listened to it on our Canadian Rockies trip in 2022. Great read. Just got back from watching the Movie today. I enjoyed the movie but I think if you only see the movie you are missing out on a number of great backstories from the book.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 2:05 pm 
Yeah it seems like they could have added some on the backstories or at least the interesting details in a way that took very little time. I enjoyed the movie reasonably well but couldn't help second guessing a lot of the choices. I guess like they felt like they had to have the love story, but it wasn't nearly as interesting as the stuff that they sacrificed to include it. The settings in general were disappointing. Funny how Lake Washington and Germany appeared to be the same place. Did they CGI in that evergreen forest in Poughkeepsie? I've been to Poughkeepsie and walked over the Hudson on the huge former RR bridge there and it's pretty deciduous forest.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 3:18 pm 
Judy Rantz-Willman (daughter of Joe Rantz) has been a neighbor and good friend for 30+ years. For the last few years before he passed away Joe lived with Judy and Ray. From time to time I would be over therefore some reason and the dialog would start: Hi Joe. Hi Joe. As the last-man-standing, Joe had possession of the medal. But as a kid, Judy never saw the medal since it was lost. One day Joe was replacing some roofing on his house and noticed some shiny bits in the insulation. He had uncovered a squirrel's stash which somehow included the medal.

kiliki
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 4:05 pm 
Joey wrote:
But as a kid, Judy never saw the medal since it was lost. One day Joe was replacing some roofing on his house and noticed some shiny bits in the insulation. He had uncovered a squirrel's stash which somehow included the medal.
Now that's a great story. Glad it was one of the original guys who found the medal. But tell us. How on earth did a squirrel manage to acquire the medal? Was the medal displayed on a shelf and the squirrel found a way inside the house, saw the medal, and thought--"I need this.". ~z

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Jan 02, 2024 4:20 pm 
I will ping Judy and find out the rest of the story. Edit: Judy reports that her Dad had the medal displayed on his fireplace mantle until it disappeared. Her theory is that the squirrel got in via the dog door. Fido must have been asleep on the job.

graywolf
rhondarudman

rhondarudman
PostThu Jan 04, 2024 4:01 pm 
"As they lined up next to the German and Italian crews, Olympic officials went down the American line, hanging gold medals around the boys' necks and placing laurel wreaths on their heads." From "The Boys in the Boat" page 354. I knew one of those Boys in the Boat. One day he brought out his gold medal and put it in my hands and he told me his story. We talked about Germany. His sense of accomplishment was always a little overshadowed by the fact they got out with gold while millions of people lost their lives. His name was Jim McMillin. I have two newspaper articles including one from the Kitsap Sun with a picture of Jim holding his gold medal.

reststep, graywolf, Joey
rhondarudman

rhondarudman
PostMon Jan 08, 2024 9:48 am 
One other thing. Joe Rantz was not the last man standing. Quote from the book: "Roger Morris, the first of Joe's friends on crew, was the last man standing. Roger died on July 22, 2009. At his memorial service, Judy rose and recalled how in their last few years Joe and Roger would often get together....." From "The Boys in the Boat" page 367 by Daniel James Brown, 2014.

Joey
idoru

idoru
PostWed Jan 10, 2024 12:02 pm 
kiliki wrote:
The settings in general were disappointing. Funny how Lake Washington and Germany appeared to be the same place. Did they CGI in that evergreen forest in Poughkeepsie? I've been to Poughkeepsie and walked over the Hudson on the huge former RR bridge there and it's pretty deciduous forest.
This has been the biggest thing holding me back from seeing this. I've got a lot of PNW pride and bristled at the trailer when absolutely nothing looked like Lake Washington/Montlake Cut/etc.. I'm sure a chunk of the movie takes place in Germany, so maybe I'm going too far with judging a movie based solely on trailer footage, but no PNW vibes = tough sell for me.

kiliki
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 10, 2024 3:28 pm 
idoru wrote:
This has been the biggest thing holding me back from seeing this. I've got a lot of PNW pride and bristled at the trailer when absolutely nothing looked like Lake Washington/Montlake Cut/etc.. I'm sure a chunk of the movie takes place in Germany, so maybe I'm going too far with judging a movie based solely on trailer footage, but no PNW vibes = tough sell for me.
Okay, how do you make current Lake Washington/Montlake Cut look like it did in the 1930s? Pretty tough. You'd have to CGI the hell out of it. Campus probably looks fairly different now as well. I read they weren't allowed to film in Germany, because funny thing German officials had no interest in letting someone recreate Nazi Germany in their country, even if it was only a movie set. You can kind of understand where they are coming from. Many movies are filmed in a different actual location than where the events in the movie take place. It's just the reality of the industry.

idoru

idoru
PostWed Jan 10, 2024 3:57 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Many movies are filmed in a different actual location than where the events in the movie take place. It's just the reality of the industry.
Oh totally, I'm well aware of this and it almost never bothers me. I don't necessarily need the lake, the Cut or the campus to look exactly like they did in the 30's, nor do I generally mind if, say, a production uses a neighborhood in Vancouver to stand in for Seattle. It's just that when you've got scenes taking place in a locale where there should be Cascades towering off in the horizon, but instead everything in the distance is just flat and level, well... no thanks. Give me any mountains on the horizon, and I'd be fine with it. I'll admit that it's kind of a petty reason to avoid a movie, but I can't shake that feeling. /shrug