Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tunnels & Tracks: Goat Canyon Trestle via Nudist Resort, 02.10.18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Apr 01, 2018 4:06 pm 
Peeps had been bugging me for a long time to schedule a hike to the famous Goat Canyon Trestle, either via Mortero Palms or from the De Anza Springs Resort, so I finally relented. I'd already been pretty close to it 6 yrs. ago, thus my lack of entusiasm, but as new ideas are harder & harder to come by I decided it was worth a shot to do the long way via the resort. As it turns out, I only had 2 takers in the end. Guess it's not that popular afterall. hmmm.gif We started out by checking in/registering @ the resort, then drove back over to the TH &: geared up. As we were doing so, a naked guy emerged from the trail & walked thru the parking lot. up.gif Evidently he already finished his hike for the day.
@ the TH
@ the TH
We started up the trail, which cuts west over to the tracks, where there is a path (for the most part) that parallels the tracks. It didn't take long before we came across our 1st tunnel & abandoned train cars.
RR
RR
Entering the 1st tunnel
Entering the 1st tunnel
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
We continued along, passing thru several more tunnels, snapping on the headlamps when necessary. paranoid.gif
??
??
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
??
??
Old train cars
Old train cars
Spooky...
Spooky...
Emerging from a tunnel
Emerging from a tunnel
Bladderpod along the tracks
Bladderpod along the tracks
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Inside a train car
Looking out from the train car
Looking out from the train car
Heading for an abandoned tunnel
Heading for an abandoned tunnel
Inside the abandoned tunnel
Inside the abandoned tunnel
The next tunnel...
The next tunnel...
Once we arrived @ the trestle, there were hoards of people of course, incl. some guy w/a Mickey Mouse hat. confused.gif A few swigs of bourbon helped curb my annoyance.
Crossing the trestle
Crossing the trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
We have arrived...
We have arrived...
Boot shot from atop the trestle
Boot shot from atop the trestle
Old abandoned trestle
Old abandoned trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
On the trestle
On the trestle
Swig of bourbon
Swig of bourbon
The 2 peeps I was w/decided to go a little further up the trails to check out the trainwreck, but I was content w/seeing them from a distance since this was already going to be a 17ish mile hike roundtrip. redface.gif There were short periods of time that I had the place to myself & was able to get better pics of the trestle. @ one point a boy scout troop w/full o/n packs came through, as well as some other lg. parties. Yep, not much privacy on this hike. irked.gif
Wreck
Wreck
Backpackers on trestle
Backpackers on trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
Goat Canyon Trestle
Eventually the other 2 came back, & we headed out. This was a long hike but very flat, nevertheless I was pretty tired by the end. redface.gif
Almost back...
Almost back...
Looking back
Looking back
Don't step there!
Don't step there!
Add 2-3 mi. to total...
Add 2-3 mi. to total...
Route
Route
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostMon Apr 02, 2018 9:52 am 
I thought this was an April Fool's joke until I read farther down. Extremely cool and unique area! Hard to believe they'd put so much effort into those trestles, only to abandon them in place. Nice adventure and TR!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message