Forum Index > Trail Talk > Drones in the backcountry, and other obnoxious technologies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri May 21, 2021 3:01 pm 
Sky Hiker wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Obviously Highway 20 isn't vital or they would keep it open year round
Hwy 2 isn't vital then either as it is closed in the winter for extended amounts of time
Extended? I've never seen or heard Highway 2 closed other than for emergency reasons. Maybe I missed something in the last thirteen years since I moved to the Olympic Peninsula. Highway 20 gets closed every year simply because they decided not to plow it. I think a lot of this whole discussion is really about the availability of space to recreate in what we call, for lack of a better term, natural setting. That was among others, a major reason for establishing the Wilderness Act. But what we have found in the past two decades is a proliferation of numbers and different types of users competing for the limited natural space. Sixty years ago the basic ways for people to enjoy these natural setting were on foot, on horseback, or by paddle. As developments in technology and manufacturing advanced, more and more ways to "get out there" became available to even casual users. Mtn bikes, four and three wheeled ATVs, 4X4s, motocycles, E-bikes, snowmobiles, hang gliding, etc: these have all proliferated greatly in the past few decades along with the numbers of users of each. Now we add to this list of new technologies and their users, drones. And the available natural space to enjoy these things has not increased. If anything, the space has shrunken. The challenge is how to avoid user conflicts. That is one thing the human species has yet to make much progress. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pula58

pula58
PostFri May 21, 2021 4:00 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I think a lot of this whole discussion is really about the availability of space to recreate in what we call, for lack of a better term, natural setting.
You nail it here RumiDude

breadcrumb
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun May 23, 2021 6:05 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Occasionally 2 and 90 are closed temporarily when storms overpower DOT's ability to clear the roads.
Your partially wrong there. Highway 2 is closed quite often for avalanche prevention and cleanup. Prevention has become a larger priority in the past 10 years due to past litigation. 2 was closed an extended amount of time due the tree damage and danger to crews clearing the roadway.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 23, 2021 10:33 am 
I believe I-90 is closed more in the winter than Highway 2. When 2 was closed after that storm this winter half the roads in Western Washington were closed too for either trees or downed powerlines. The avalanche control shutdowns are relatively short. I've sat in the line on the road many times.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 23, 2021 11:35 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
2 was closed an extended amount of time due the tree damage and danger to crews clearing the roadway.
My street was closed when we took down the huge Douglas Fir in our front yard. But when that work was over, they opened it back up, just like they did with Highway 2. Anyway, the idea is that they close Highway 20 not because they need to mitigate avalanche danger but because the the highway is not vital they can just close it and not plow all winter. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 23, 2021 6:02 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Along with the drone jammers, maybe they can get cairn busters, flagging removers, and doggie-doo buriers.
We've got one o'dem! It's The Angry Hiker! Unfortunately, we can't clone him. Also, he only will do 2 out of those 3 items. clown.gif If anyone on this forum knows his current situation, please share.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
philfort

philfort
PostThu Sep 29, 2022 11:00 pm 
You don't need a license if they're under 250g. You can't launch/land/control them from wilderness areas, but you can fly over wilderness areas. But yes, lots of social media influencers ignore those rules anyway, like this guy:
Who cares, as long as you get lots of likes, right? The Forest Service probably doesn't have the funds to pursue people like this.