Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bonanza queen mine
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Aug 09, 2023 8:20 am 
Cadmium is indeed a highly toxic metal but is really only metabolized when it is breathed. I agree with Mike that there could be significant quantities in that mud and caution is advised, but I doubt touching them and cleaning them with water would cause significant exposure. In the undersea community cadmium plating is still routinely used because it works best. I handled cadmium plated parts a lot when I was still working, but no grinding or dry cutting was allowed.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 09, 2023 8:26 am 
^ Cadmium = bad stuff. Stay away. Was used for years by several manufacturers of mechanics hand tools as a rust-preventive coating, many of which are still in use and in circulation in the second-hand tool market. Over an over and over we have to caution new collectors to NOT put those tools on a wire wheel or grinder, or attempt to "clean" them with abrasive compounds or steel wool. Appearance-wise, it has something of a dull, grayish color, but there you will see variations between different manufacturers: Duro-Indestro is more grayish, Walden Worcester (and their "Tomahawk" line) have kind of a purplish tinge (at least to my eyes), Dunlap (Sears private label) was more a bright silvery finish. Other brands have yet more variations in appearance. Stay away. Stay very far away.
Indestro 1452-K (partial) 1.2 hex drive SAE socket set[/i:10d475944b]
Indestro 1452-K (partial) 1.2 hex drive SAE socket set
====
Mike Collins wrote:
It was used in paints for orange colors in olden days.
As were many other toxic elements - cobalt, titanium, and zinc, among others. Anecdotally, it has been posited that a good many artists from days past may well have had their mental faculties compromised by ingesting these substances when they put their brushes in their mouths to shape the tips. (think: Vincent van Gogh) Women who were painting the "glow-in-the-dark" dials on instrument clusters for the military during WWII suffered all kinds of weird physical ailments from ingesting the toxic compounds in the paint when shaping the brushes in their mouths.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 09, 2023 9:20 am 
Most of the ores in the cascades were complex and the minerals were in combined form often with arsenic and antimony unlike California placer nuggets and dust. In addition mercury was used in the concentration process so that gold found downstream of Monte Crisco was in alloyed with mercury.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

mosey
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 27, 2023 5:03 pm 
Went back to the unnamed MLH mine this time with rubber boots, but we didn’t get far in since the water is about knee high, plan to return with hip waders. We got a bit of that orange mud on our arms and it was burning our skin a bit but we were able to quickly wash it off with no further issues.
about 150’ inside mine entrance, weird place for a bird nest? =

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

zimmertr, Bramble_Scramble, Schroder
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 27, 2023 5:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I know that one up.gif

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Aug 27, 2023 10:35 pm 
[quote="Chief Joseph"]
about 150’ inside mine entrance, weird place for a bird nest? That looks like a pack rat nest to me. Didn't know there were any in Washington, but it seems there are: https://www.cascadepest.com/whats-a-pack-rat-is-it-a-real-rat/#:~:text=Pack%20Rats%20are%20Real&text=And%20they%20are%20here%20in,foothills%20and%20close%20to%20mountains.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

Chief Joseph, fourteen410
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 9:53 am 
Hip waders won't be enough swim.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 29, 2023 1:04 pm 
Waders will get us further at least, might have to bring a raft. Not sure if we will try again this year. Amazing home for a Pack Rat, but he has to go quite a ways to find items to pack.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 11:26 pm 
Went back recently, added another length of old rope I brought from Idaho, so easier to access upper adit and especially while descending. Brought hip waders and explored most of the lower adit except for a spot where there are collapsing timbers, and a crawl through and going up...so need to go back, probably not 'till spring though. Also the upper adit further in has a spot where there are timbers ready to collapse with debris also above...we saw some graffiti on the walls, some from the 40's...won't go back in that area, it doesn't go to far back and is too dangerous. Ironically, we met a NWHiker's son while parked on the MLH after our exploration...he was using a drone to explore the mine route and Long mountain.