Forum Index > Trip Reports > 6-25-2021 Goat Mtn 6940'(Baker area)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Jun 29, 2021 9:07 pm 
Wanting an easier daytrip this week we opted to hit Goat mtn over north of Baker. We wanted to go for the west summit as well but you know how the laziness of a peakbagger can creep up outta nowhere lol! lol.gif moon.gif So the usual suspects assembled again (Bryan, Hans, myself) and we made it to the Goat mtn TH around 3am and started off at 330am. The woods down low were pretty hot but once above them it cooled off a little. We made quick work up to the open meadows around 4800ft and had our first early morning views!! hockeygrin.gif Shuksan and Sefrit were especially out in full force! I liked how quick the trail gains the alpine. We took a quick break around 5200ft and the bugs were rather persistent. Soon after we started moving the breeze kicked up and kept the bugs at bay. We followed the trail up the ridge to 5600ft then assessed the easiest way to traverse to the main summit. (East pk) rocker.gif
Boys mirin Baker
Boys mirin Baker
Baker
Baker
Hans, Sefrit, and shuksan
Hans, Sefrit, and shuksan
The summit on right
The summit on right
From the ridge the south slope looked pretty steep and intimidating. dizzy.gif We ultimately decided to at least go up and check it out rather than go up to the saddle and drop to the glacier on the north side of the peak. We dropped from the ridge a couple hundred feet and made our way easterly towards the summit! There seems to be quite a bit of snow up there still! We were soaking up the scenery until we got to the base of the snow slope. From here it was about 800ft to the summit. We put the pons on and started upwards! banana.gif An easy ramp granted passage up then about halfway up the angle steepened a bit. The snow all the way up was surprisingly in awesome conditions! Not too hard and not too soft. We clambered off the snow a hundred feet below and made our way up the heathery slopes to the holy land!! angel.gif We arrived at 8am! Wow! eek.gif The relatively short easier nature of the hike paid off with supreme views!! We were wanting to make our way to the west peak but it seemed like it would be a crime to leave our precarious perch! We decided to extend our stay! breakdance.gif Drinks were had of course lol. cheers.gif The views were sick all around! Tomyhoi looks pretty righteous as well as Larrabee and friends! Shuksan, Sefrit, and Ruth were sweeeet too! The summit area was a little breezy so we chilled out on a cool little knoll 15ft below on the north side. What a comfortable ass little summit! We all kinda took a nap for a few hours. Damn I forgot how sweet alpine naps are! I wish I could sleep like that always. cool.gif
the traverse
the traverse
Closer
Closer
Awesome country
Awesome country
Closer yet
Closer yet
Upper slopes
Upper slopes
Boys above the ramp
Boys above the ramp
Oh wow bud
Oh wow bud
When on a sick peak
When on a sick peak
Tomyhoi
Tomyhoi
To the east
To the east
The knoll
The knoll
Naptime
Naptime
We woke eventually and gathered ourselves. We started our way down reluctantly around 1230pm. The snow had softened up a little so I dawned the ice axe on the way down with the pons again. We made quick work of the rest of the descent and made the car around 330pm. Man we were all pretty psyched about the quality of Goat Mtn! rocker.gif Another great outing and craving fulfilled for another week lol! Thanks for coming out again boys! Cheers to all! Roundtrip was around 7.5miles, 4500ft-ish gain, 12hrs
Sefrit and shuksan again
Sefrit and shuksan again
East
East
Tomyhoi and Larrabee
Tomyhoi and Larrabee
Love this summit area
Love this summit area
Coming down the steeps
Coming down the steeps

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

kw, valleyjo, GaliWalker, reststep, RAW-dad, geyer, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jun 30, 2021 6:56 pm 
Good stuff! On my way down the twin lakes road, I wondered if it would be another accessible route to the goat pks. They looked pretty nice from there. Anyways, good get on another cool pk with awesome views!

Eric Eames
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jul 01, 2021 10:08 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
another accessible route to the goat pks
Eric, in early season the prominent gulley seen from the switchbacks on the upper Twin Lakes Road is a good route and has more of an alpine feeling than the south-side trail. But when it is snow free, not so much, as it becomes a slimey, wet, boulder hop, and the approach from the TL road, albeit short, is quite brushy. The base of the gully is easy to access when the upper Swamp Creek valley is still mostly snowbound. But the basin reached at the top of the gulley is not a good place to be when the avalanche hazard is high. I had to retreat quickly when an unseen but clearly heard wet snow 'lanch came too near to us in the fog bound bowl. It was a bad choice of days to climb. By the way, Goat has a good spot to sleep just few feet below the summit.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jul 02, 2021 5:51 am 
ozzy wrote:
I really like these two, especially the first one; the combination of rock/grass/snow looks so inviting, and that little bit of sunlight at upper right is sublime.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani