Forum Index > Trip Reports > A peak and some lakes for washing -- 25 Sep 2021
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 2:56 pm 
Edit: I have been asked to remove some identifying info for this sensitive area, but enterprising folks should be able to figure out where this is. With great weather forecasted on Saturday, I wanted to get into the alpine and also take in some late season views before the snow started to fly. I had considered Labyrinth Mountain and Minotaur Lake, but after my sister did Pilchuck as a sunrise hike I reconsidered and headed for that area instead. I figured fall is a good time to go with the snow melted and bugs generally minimal. After driving slowly up the NF road to the trailhead (the potholes on this road are quite notable). I was on my way just after 9:30. The first section of the trail was nice gravel, before becoming rooty and steep on the way to the lower lake. There are a few nice, large cedars before climbing uphill. I made it to the lower lake in about an hour, and stopped for a snack by the outlet, which was still in the shade.
Big cedar
Big cedar
Lower lake
Lower lake
Slick rocks by lower lake
Slick rocks by lower lake
The route around the west side of the lake to the base of the gulch was pretty straightforward, though I had to watch my step in a couple places where the shaded, wet rocks slant down into the water and a slip would result in an unintended swim. The gulch itself was steep in places, but easy to travel this late in the season since there is no lingering snow and the water level was low. For the most part the route stays to the right of the creek but on the way up I just followed the dry bed in places. Near the top were good views back towards Glacier Peak and the ridges at the head of the Sultan River.
Lower gulch
Lower gulch
Upper gulch
Upper gulch
From the top of the Gulch at 11:15, I followed the defined path and frequent yellow arrows a short distance past the “first” upper lake, before heading up a gully to the basin below the peak. The SummitPost description is great and the ascent was easy, with no exposure and only minimal use of hands. On the way up I saw a marmot sunning itself; it was definitely well-padded for the winter. Views from the top were great, pretty much as good as Pilchuck with none of the crowds. The drop to Lake 22 is also impressive.
Marmot
Marmot
Plump for winter
Plump for winter
Pilchuck
Pilchuck
Baker
Baker
Shuksan
Shuksan
Three Fingers
Three Fingers
White Chuck, Dome
White Chuck, Dome
Vertical relief
Vertical relief
Glacier and Upper South Fork Stillaguamish Valley
Glacier and Upper South Fork Stillaguamish Valley
View down to Summit Lake
View down to Summit Lake
After about 20 min I headed back down and traversed slightly, avoiding cliffs to rejoin the path to the other lakes. It was only a short distance to the largest of the first lakes. I had arranged to spend most of the afternoon exploring the basin, so I meandered over the second lake and found a good spot to jump in the water and enjoy the various tarns and granite outcroppings. The water was pretty cold but passable by September standards. The area must be popular for aerial sightseeing as I saw both a helicopter and glider while having lunch.
1st lake
1st lake
2nd lake
2nd lake
Glider
Glider
After lunch I kept heading west, to the western and lower of the two larger lakes. By this time there were more folks wandering around, but the basin is large enough that it didn’t feel too crowded. The lowest lake has a large peninsula sticking into it which is a good spot to hang out, and the largest lake just above it has a big cliff a large party was using to jump into the water. I climbed between them to an outcropping high on the western side with a good view back across the basin.
Largest lake from the west (note cliff on left)
Largest lake from the west (note cliff on left)
I dropped back down between the largest and northwesternmost of the lakes, the latter of which was too shallow to be attractive for swimming. I looped around the northern part of the basin, where there are three lakes, two of which are small but deep and clear. After exploring and getting views across the basin from the north, I stopped for another swim in a private spot. It seems like most folks stay by the larger lakes when visiting. Rainier was just barely visible through the haze.
Smaller, deep lake
Smaller, deep lake
Lakes from above (closer one great for a 2nd swim)
Lakes from above (closer one great for a 2nd swim)
By this time it was nearing 3 PM so I headed back SW, this time looping below the first lake to investigate the outlet and get a final view back across the basin. Unfortunately there are a couple of recently used fire rings in this area, although it appears folks have mostly been camping on rock to avoid damage to the vegetation.
Looking back across the first lake
Looking back across the first lake
Back along the trail to the top of the gulch I got some good pics across some smaller tarns to the peaks of the Wild Sky Wilderness. I also followed a waytrail heading right before the drop into the gulch that provided great additional views to the west.
Tarns along the trail
Tarns along the trail
Gunn and Baring in the distance
Gunn and Baring in the distance
Fall colors
Fall colors
R-L: Big 4, Sloan, Clark, White Chuck Gl.
R-L: Big 4, Sloan, Clark, White Chuck Gl.
Dome
Dome
Vesper, Del Campo, with Monte Cristo Group behind
Vesper, Del Campo, with Monte Cristo Group behind
Glacier
Glacier
I did a better job following the trail heading back down the gulch, and returned to the lower lake outlet just before 4. From there it was an easy descent back to the trailhead, and another bumpy ride back out to the Mountain Loop Highway. Despite the half dozen or so groups I saw at the lakes, I suspect it paled in comparison to Lake 22 or the summit of Pilchuck on the last warm and sunny Saturday of the year. The area does appear attractive for an easy overnight, but maybe try it during the week to have things to yourself.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostWed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 pm 
An old favorite. It's fun to start at the top of the three large lakes, swim across each one and then turn around and swim across them all in the reverse order. The Bathtub Lakes Triple Crown! biggrin.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 5:53 pm 
Exceptionally clear pictures. Lovely.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
iron

iron
PostThu Sep 30, 2021 9:37 pm 
always wanted to do that trip with the kids as an overnighter.