Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Statement on COVID from Seattle / King County public health
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 10:51 am 
My partner and I are probably going to be canceling our flights home to see our family this year. It's pretty sad. But, they're in their 60s and between them have MS and heart arrhythmia. Not worth the risk.... Omi is not a homie. frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 11:15 am 
glenoid wrote:
If you watch any news, you will see countless shots being given to people. By my count, at least 50% of those shown have been administered incorrectly.
This is why I went to a hospital attached pharmacy to get my jab. The folks at Safeway pharmacy or where ever are not as skilled at this. This required an appointment a week or so in advance. Plus I got to pick which one I got. No skin pinch, just a good confident, deep jab. My arm hurt more than I expected, but otherwise no discernible side effects. I've done a few of the at home antigen tests, they are designed to catch viral loads big enough to be contagious. The PCR test finds it down the most minuscule particles - not necessarily contagious, just present. That is why the home test just swabs the outer nostril area, if it is found there it is considered a contagious viral load. I agree that the lay public will likely have a hard time doing the whole step by step test procedure correctly.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

day_hike_mike
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 11:39 am 
From one of the data experts tracking covid topics. "Unpopular expert opinion: rapid antigen tests contribute to the spread #Omicron." See tweet for details: https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/status/1473355263667097603

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 11:43 am 
Hmmm. I went to the county sponsored drive by for the first two shots. While waiting for the first one, an additonal shooter was added and I was in that line. I was his second shot. He was an EMT. After he took the needle out, he said,"You people don't bleed!" Now i kinda wonder about that remark. Did he expect a lot of blood? Did he want to use lots of Band Aids? Had aches and chills after the second and third so I assume it all worked. I think I'll go to the Dr. office from now on though.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 12:20 pm 
Got all three at local media Center. no pain after but then after so many gotten during military service never had any side effects. Never had RSV flu. I stopped my VA home care due to rapid rise of omicron which has now been detected in montana. Stay safe yall!!

neek

neek
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 12:22 pm 
Joey wrote:
"Unpopular expert opinion: rapid antigen tests contribute to the spread #Omicron."
False sense of security leading to good old risk compensation? Yeah, I can see that. Same could be true for vaccines, especially with Omicron. "Don't worry, I'm vaccinated, so I'm safe." Unfortunately, getting people to use N95s and wear them correctly is a pipe dream. We've known for about a year this is critical, yet virtually no one is doing it. Just go to any indoor public space and look around. But also, how many people are really bothering to get tested before going to a family or other gathering? Even if the tests were perfect, I doubt it's enough to make much difference. Sorry to be all doomy and gloomy, hope I'm wrong on all this. (Just an anecdote, but my vaccinated friend who is paranoid about masking ended up with a moderate case of Delta a few months ago.) glenoid's observation is a bit disturbing. I got a booster and also Tdap yesterday, which I was due for. (The lady at the Kaiser clinic wasn't even wearing a mask when I walked in, fwiw.) Felt absolutely terrible overnight, although it's starting to clear up a little. Seems that people (including me) have the notiion that a rough reaction indicates success, although I've never seen this proven.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostTue Dec 21, 2021 9:25 pm 
Got the booster this morning. Started to feel tired late this afternoon. The pharmacy I went to today said they have been swamped with people getting boosters. They had an appointment system set up and the pharmacist said she’s been giving a booster shot every 15 minutes all day long, every day the pharmacy is open and that they were booked out for awhile.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 8:36 am 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
they were booked out for awhile
I'm getting mine in a few hours. But I attempted to get it when I was eligible three weeks ago, and had to wait until now for an open slot.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 11:48 am 
This news is out of Walter Reed Army Hospital. Their infectious disease unit has developed a new vaccine that appears to cover all variants. From the publication Defense One, quote: Within weeks, scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research expect to announce that they have developed a vaccine that is effective against COVID-19 and all its variants, even Omicron, as well as previous SARS-origin viruses that have killed millions of people worldwide. The achievement is the result of almost two years of work on the virus. The Army lab received its first DNA sequencing of the COVID-19 virus in early 2020. Very early on, Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch decided to focus on making a vaccine that would work against not just the existing strain but all of its potential variants as well. Walter Reed’s Spike Ferritin Nanoparticle COVID-19 vaccine, or SpFN, completed animal trials earlier this year with positive results. Phase 1 of human trials, which tested the vaccine against Omicron and the other variants, wrapped up this month, again with positive results that are undergoing final review, Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director of Walter Reed’s infectious diseases branch, said in an exclusive interview with Defense One. The new vaccine will still need to undergo phase 2 and phase 3 trials. Unlike existing vaccines, Walter Reed’s SpFN uses a soccer ball-shaped protein with 24 faces for its vaccine, which allows scientists to attach the spikes of multiple coronavirus strains on different faces of the protein. This looks promising. ~z

Chief Joseph
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 1:54 pm 
But it is a vaccine, and there is a substantial population that will not get vaccinated, no way, no how. We're screwed. Example: This is a quote from an Okanogan County anti vax page. It's bass ackwards but they believe it. They will not change their minds. I’m so sorry that you’ve been led to believe this but it’s 100% not true. These vaccines were designed with the very specific spike protein of the original virus. These new variants have brand new and totally different proteins so the jab will do NOTHING for the variants. And not only that but vaccinated people carry a much-higher viral load and so they are actually getting much sicker than the unvaxxed. Nurses in hospitals are quietly telling the truth that their ICU & covid beds are in actuality more full with the very sick vaccinated than they are with the unvaxxed.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

zimmertr
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 5:14 pm 
Most parts of the United States. Covid is not an issue. Its all in the past. Most of the US. The only parts that are trying to still hang on from what I have seen is Washington, Oregon, and California. Go see for yourselves. I checked a week ago on the CDC page and I swear that Washington had more cases of the "vid" than Florida.

Art is an adventure.
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 5:42 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I checked a week ago on the CDC page and I swear that Washington had more cases of the "vid" than Florida.
Just yesterday Florida had almost 13,000 new cases while Washington had 2,000. Not even close.

Navy salad, zimmertr, Cyclopath
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 5:49 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Just yesterday Florida had almost 13,000 new cases while Washington had 2,000. Not even close.
I agree with the sentiment behind this comment but it's worth mentioning Florida has 3x as many people as Washington as well. So naturally they would have more cases. 6.5x as many though... Wonder how that could be? eck.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 5:56 pm 
I believe Michigan is pretty bad right now, haven't really dived into data but I think that was based on the last two weeks.

neek

neek
PostWed Dec 22, 2021 6:11 pm 
Florida was better (new cases, per capita) than Washington for several months. Before that, they were worse. Now they are worse again. I try not to get wrapped up in the daily vicissitudes. Go to http://91-divoc.com and look at something like Total Deaths, Normalized. As of now, 0.128% of WA and 0.290% of FL have succumbed. (Do we win a prize?) VT and HI are best (by this measure), MS and AL the worst. Of course there are other factors besides policy in play, like demographics, weather, and reporting. (I still haven't seen any evidence for outdoor transmission, but am keeping a close eye on the new variant.) Indeed that's a pretty steep slope on MI's curve this past month or two. I have high hopes for Paxlovid getting the death rate way down over the next few months, now that it is approved.

Malachai Constant