Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022: Solutions to Trail head break ins. Are there any?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CS

CS
PostSun May 01, 2022 9:44 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Problem with that is that said thieves might return fire with real weapons.
Not only that, but it makes it hard for LE to determine who’s the good guy, and sometimes they shoot the wrong one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun May 01, 2022 10:51 pm 
I've hiked in Washington at least every week since 2006 and more sporadically for 20 years before that. I have never had my vehicle broken into (now watch -- it will happen the next time I hike). I don't leave anything in it, but I rarely park at the popular trailheads. In that same time my car has been broken into 4 times parked in front of my house in Seattle. For me, that's a bigger problem. Just last week the neighbor across the street had the battery stolen out of his car on the street and he saw the whole thing on a camera the next morning, but no id, no LE action. The damage was low $ so not worth investigating. I'm very familiar with trailcams and there are a lot of problems. They are not the answer.
  • Problem #1 is that the resolution is not very good even in the expensive Reconyx cameras so license plates are often not readable unless the car is close and stationary, and it's never readable in night shots.
  • Problem #2 is that the camera(s) needs to be placed close enough to the trailhead to trigger on activity and it's hard to find good placements that aren't obvious and you need several to cover all areas. If you place it farther back and set up time lapse photos then you take way too many photos and run down the batteries
  • Problem #3 The run-of-the-mill trailcams (Moultrie, Bushnell, etc) fail for all kinds of reasons so they need to be checked at least once a month to make sure they're still running. I could list all the ways they fail, but even if they keep functioning the batteries can wear out quickly if taking a lot of photos. The $500 cameras are more reliable but are more of a target for theft.
  • Problem #4 If the camera is visible it will probably be stolen, even if it's in a security box and has a cable lock on it. Those things make it more visible. I've had 10 cameras stolen and they were not in obvious placements. I've even had thieves cut down the tree it was mounted on to steal it.
  • Problem #5 All the photos in the world don't help if you only get a nameless person breaking into cars. You need a positive connection to a license plate to even interest LE to look into it.
The best thing about seeing trailhead vandalism on trailcams is that it satisfies ones curiosity about what happened, and that is actually worth quite a bit. When four tires were slashed at the Dingford trailhead recently (normally a very safe trailhead) we were able to piece together a story about two young people who tried to sneak into Goldmyer Hot Springs at 3am, were told to leave by the caretakers (no direct contact), returned to the trailhead and presumably in frustration slashed one tire on each of 4 vehicles. But at night the cameras didn't get a license plate so police interest evaporated. Knowing something about when and why it happened was satisfying because it most likely won't happen again.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 01, 2022 11:22 pm 
schifferj wrote:
Problem with that is that said thieves might return fire with real weapons.
O' for sure I would have real firepower ready for that. I don't typically carry when I hike but it would really suck to return to your vehicle while someone is breaking in and have no weapon.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon May 02, 2022 7:14 am 
schifferj wrote:
I’ve not had problems at trailheads in Idaho and Montana.
And you won't! Everyone in those 2 states, carries a deterrent in their hip

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon May 02, 2022 7:59 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
schifferj wrote:
I’ve not had problems at trailheads in Idaho and Montana.
Cost of living is also much lower. So people are less desperate.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon May 02, 2022 8:01 am 
puzzlr wrote:
two young people who tried to sneak into Goldmyer Hot Springs at 3am, were told to leave by the caretakers (no direct contact)
Is there a PA system there? Or were they just shouted at from a distance? I bet that was startling, so late at night. Do they have infrared sensors or something to alert the caretakers when people enter the property?

Flickr | Strava

philfort
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 02, 2022 8:54 am 
Not hiking is a solution. If that isn't something you're going to do, then we all understand this is a risk of leaving your car in a remote place with no supervision. Don't leave anything of value in your car to attract crime, carry insurance, it's a risk we accept, just like accidents. If I could choose to either eliminate trailhead break-ins out traffic, I'd get rid of traffic every time.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon May 02, 2022 9:25 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/crime/increase-in-vehicle-break-ins-at-trailheads-fishing-accesses-reported-in-gallatin-county/article_b73c6afe-930d-5f97-9785-6db55158c550.html https://www.ktvq.com/news/montana-news/2019/06/27/take-steps-to-prevent-vehicle-theft-at-trailheads/ https://www.krem.com/article/news/crime/5-vehicles-breakins-kootenai-county/293-14e630a8-1b80-45c3-9ebb-90384c357890 Trailhead burglary is more lucrative in Montana and Idaho because...wait for it...the thieves are more likely to find an item that is easy to sell locally, a gun!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
kw

kw
PostMon May 02, 2022 10:08 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Unfortunately, a homicide is what is going to have to happen before authorities give a shiit. A vigilante sniper in the woods, waiting, and taking revenge on the vandals or someone confronting the vandals and then getting killed I'm going to reference this post when it happens because it won't be much longer before 1 of the 2 happens
Surprised it only took 1 page for this thread to devolve into advocating for violence and chest-thumping against the terrible scourge of property crime. I understand this thread had positive intentions but this kind of discussion never really gets anywhere except to boost people’s egos.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 02, 2022 11:31 am 
FWIW: King County crime statistics show 1500+ motor vehicle thefts so far fo 2022. Hard to see this window smash vandalism getting much priority from law enforcement.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 02, 2022 11:35 am 
zimmertr wrote:
puzzlr wrote:
two young people who tried to sneak into Goldmyer Hot Springs at 3am, were told to leave by the caretakers (no direct contact)
Is there a PA system there? Or were they just shouted at from a distance? I bet that was startling, so late at night. Do they have infrared sensors or something to alert the caretakers when people enter the property?
You have to walk by the caretaker cabin to get to the hot springs. Since alcohol and hot springs are often used together the sneakers may not have been that stealthy.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 02, 2022 12:17 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I'm very familiar with trailcams and there are a lot of problems. They are not the answer.
Thank you puzzlr. That is very helpful and just the sort of information I hope this conversation will bring to light.
kw wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
Unfortunately, a homicide is what is going to have to happen before authorities give a sh*t. ...
Surprised it only took 1 page for this thread to devolve into advocating for violence and chest-thumping against the terrible scourge of property crime. I understand this thread had positive intentions but this kind of discussion never really gets anywhere except to boost people’s egos.
Actually kw I disagree with this. I don't think bpg was advocating violence but trying to make a point about the priority of attention that law enforcement would give this issue. I should think he is correct about this particular problem for hikers being low on the list. And yes, I hope this thread does not devolve into violent rants and chest-thumping. That's totally counter-productive and against the forum rules. If anyone wants to chest thump and describe revenge fantasies please start a different thread. I hope we can keep this one open and have a productive discussion on possible solutions. There may be none but we at least can try to figure out something other than "not go hiking" or sacrifice our vehicles and peace of mind. Thanks, ~z

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 02, 2022 12:44 pm 
In the late 80's -early 90's somebody was paying to have lot attendants sitting at all the big trailheads. I remember talking with the guy guarding the Foss parking lot in the late 80's.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon May 02, 2022 1:17 pm 
I think the lot attendant thing would be awesome, I suppose on a mostly volunteer basis. I mean hikers could donate food and drinks or gas money to the TH attendants. When in Wa, I live within a mile or so of the Lake 22 and Heather Lake TH's and I will work for beer and a sammich. cheers.gif hungry.gif Also, some don't pay the TH fees, they could use the funds for the attendants. up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon May 02, 2022 1:37 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
In the late 80's -early 90's somebody was paying to have lot attendants sitting at all the big trailheads. I remember talking with the guy guarding the Foss parking lot in the late 80's.
Now that's definitely interesting to hear. So there's a history of lot attendants. Foss would be a good one too since those are long trails back in there that require a longer parking situation day or night. I wonder how that operated--private or publicly funded. ~z