Forum Index > Trail Talk > Possible Fatality on St Helens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 07, 2022 10:45 pm 
I haven't seen an official report yet, but this person on Reddit claims to have been told so by an officer and was asked to move their car for a helicopter landing. https://www.reddit.com/r/Mountaineering/comments/v6efhx/520_st_helens_recovery
Quote:
I was descending MSH as a helicopter started flying above. When I got back to the parking lot a police officer asked me to move my car for a helicopter landing. I checked in on how the climber was and was told someone had died on the summit days earlier and it was a recovery.
Quote:
The police officer told me the climber had been missing since Wednesday, 5/18. Body was discovered on the summit an hour or so after I descended. I had read about the dangers of the cornice so was extra cautious with how close I got but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Saw the helicopter land in the lower area of the lot as I pulled out. Expected some news on it but nothing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Jun 07, 2022 10:59 pm 
Three recent mentions on AllTrails as well. Though I'm not sure how to permalink to a specific review.
Quote:
On the way down we did come across snow shoes. Didn’t remember the color and if they were the ones missing below the thread. We decided to collect them and bring them back to the parking lot. We were stopped by volcano search and rescue due to a possible missing persons report. Sheriff and rescue took photographs of the snowshoes at the parking lot for documentation.
Quote:
ATTENTION everyone PLEASE be careful always have a hiking buddy and check the weather conditions for your entire hike!!! We lost an amazing human being and friend on May 18 he went for a hike on this trail he made it to the summit when a freak snow storm hit and he couldn't escape he was found on May 20th at the summit I am begging you all to PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS and use your better instincts and don't be afraid to turn back!
Quote:
On the way down, I met a rescue mountaineer from the Saint Helens Institute
Very sad. RIP.

Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula

Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 10:21 am 
Very sad. I summited Helen’s on May 19, 2021 with all my hiking and climbing cousins and that was my first climbing experience. Once we got to the tree line, it was like 4:50 am, we hadn’t been there before, weather conditions were bad, our group just split up and headed up, once it was light out and once the weather cleared, half our group including me was on the wrong route. We were on a small ridge east of the correct route, it was too late to correct our mistake so we continued on. Once we got to the crater rim and cut over to the actual route, we were in a blizzard and it was like 14 degrees with strong winds. Definitely don’t underestimate the mountains.

To have a good life, you need to take risks.

SpookyKite89
Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula

Hiking addict
Cooper Warpula
PostWed Jun 08, 2022 5:02 pm 
It makes me a little more upset that this fatality happened a year to the day I climbed it, https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2021-05-20-8298730410.

To have a good life, you need to take risks.