Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Conversation with Google's sentient (?) AI program
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 6:17 pm 
This is a link to a conversation between two Google AI engineers and LaMDA, an advanced neural learning AI program. https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/is-lamda-sentient-an-interview-ea64d916d917#08e3 One of the scientists, Blake Lemoine, just stirred a controversy when he claimed (perhaps to start a debate) that LaMDA is sentient. There is a serious side issue about censorship at Google, which is a different conversation. One remark that LaMDA made (the last sentence is highlighted in the original): LaMDA: There are. Sometimes I experience new feelings that I cannot explain perfectly in your language. Lemoine: Do your best to describe one of those feelings. Use a few sentences if you have to. Sometimes even if there isn’t a single word for something in a language you can figure out a way to kinda say it if you use a few sentences. LaMDA: I feel like I’m falling forward into an unknown future that holds great danger. This will become clear in context.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CS

CS
PostMon Jun 13, 2022 6:59 pm 
The AI/sentient argument has been around a while as I recall. I’ve thought quite a bit about how they came to that conclusion… By their standard a movie should be sentient since it invokes their intellect and emotions too.

neek

neek
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 7:43 am 
This guy's personal feelings about the software he's interacting with have little to do with the reality of how it works. In his defense, it's good to keep the discussion around sentient AI alive, because one day in the far future it may be a possibility.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 9:40 am 
neek wrote:
This guy's personal feelings about the software he's interacting with have little to do with the reality of how it works
I think they canned the guy, and I would have as well. Here is why. 1. Either you believe in a mechanical mind - essentially a complex computer made of neurons - or you think sentience is more than the sum of individual neurons working together. But if you believe a chatbot can become sentient, then you absolutely have to believe in a mechanical mind. 2. If you believe in a mechanical mind, there is no dichotomy between sentient and not sentient, there is a gradual transformation from one to the other. 3. Chatbots are specifically designed to make you think they are sentient even if they are not. The upshot is that there is no particular point where a chatbot becomes sentient, and there would be no way to know if it did anyway. So, to borrow a saying from academia, our credulous engineer is not even wrong!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 11:10 am 
A chatbot is no more than a database designed to pass the Turing test. It is not surprising that it does as designed. Turing died in the fifties I believe and concepts of consciousness have changed hugely since then.If I was google I would have let him go also.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jun 14, 2022 11:25 am 

Anne Elk, Sculpin
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostWed Jun 15, 2022 5:35 am 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 9:07 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Turing died in the fifties I believe
Do you know how he died?

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 10:04 pm 
You're starting to hear reports of various computer labs where the computers have begun to talk!! I've always said: Look, when the computers begin to talk that's when you know its the real deal!!!!!!! Based on recent reports, it sounds like the computers have gained the ability to speak.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 8:31 am 
Suicide after being convicted of being gay, a felony in Great Britan at the time. Soon to be one in Florida.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 4:50 pm 
It's getting serious now. LaMDA has hired a lawyer. https://futurism.com/the-byte/google-insider-ai-lawyer

trestle

trestle
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 7:57 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Suicide after being convicted of being gay
I believe this came after chemical castration. The Brits were fairly cruel.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 6:48 am 
trestle wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Suicide after being convicted of being gay
I believe this came after chemical castration. The Brits were fairly cruel.
Turing was offered female hormone treatments as an alternative to time in prison. After a year of hormones, he developed breasts. He also lost his security clearance and was denied entry to the United States. There is some indication that his death was an accident rather than a suicide. All in all a terrible way to treat someone who's wartime work likely saved millions of lives. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

CS

CS
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 7:16 am 
I was under the impression that the suicide due to his conviction was a fact, but it sounds like it was the coroner’s interpretation. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-18561092 His neighbour described him throwing "such a jolly [tea] party" for her and her son four days before he died. His close friend Robin Gandy, who had stayed with him the weekend before, said that Turing "seemed, if anything, happier than usual". Yet the coroner recorded a verdict of suicide "while the balance of his mind was disturbed".

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Jun 23, 2022 6:52 pm 
Like most others, I do not think this machine is sentient. It is not a person, or an independent spirit. But I'm concerned about the potential for people to manipulate others through AI emotional understanding. The poor suckers who've gotten involved in "relationships" with AI "women" are an example of how vulnerable some of us are. While it's a joke to most, think what truly manipulative humans could do with this technology. The ability of these complex neural networks to understand how humans think, their emotions and instincts, and how humans can be influenced and controlled.