Forum Index > Trail Talk > and yet another grizzly bear attack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm 
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/fishAndWildlife/nr_0998.html added further comment: these grizzy bear attacks are singular events and not associated with groups from glacier or yellowstone parks where there are large numbers of these animals. I post these for those who still think transplanting 200 grizzly bear in the north cascades is a really good idea. jmo

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm 
Great, just what I needed to read since I plan to hike off trail in extreme northern Idaho tomorrow... eek.gif ...but I don't plan to be in brushy areas, but on a high ridge.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm 
Lesson: don't go hunting in griz territory. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Lesson: don't go hunting in griz territory. Rumi
If they weren't hunting and just exploring or hiking the son would likely be dead.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 6:51 pm 
So how often does an encounter with a grizzly lead to such an attack? I don't think we have a good answer. Based on the story the bear became aware of the people and immediately went into attack mode from a distance. Not good behavior at all.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Lesson: don't go hunting in griz territory.
If they weren't hunting and just exploring or hiking the son would likely be dead.
They probably would not have even been there. Part of the technique of hunting is to be stealthy. This is why so many encounters like this occur to hunters. According to Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks: "They were hunting on steep slopes and in thick vegetation. They were pursuing a black bear they had observed when they encountered the grizzly bear. The bear charged at them and attacked the son. They saw the brush moving 25 to 30 yards away, but did not see the bear until it was about 12 feet away." So they were on a steep slope in thick vegetation being stealthy in pursuit of a black bear when they surprised this grizzly. Montana FWP further stated: "Neither individual was carrying bear spray and FWP would like to remind hunters and recreationists that carrying bear spray is another deterrent option; and bears this time of year are actively feeding in preparation for winter, which can lead to more encounters with bears." So they didn't have bear spray either. Let's add this all up: stealthy, on a steep slope, in thick brush, no bear spray, at a time of year grizzlies are especially active. It is doubtful that if they were just hiking they would have been in this place and been acting as they were, stealthy, which seems to have got them too close to this bear before it was alerted to their presence.
Bernardo wrote:
Based on the story the bear became aware of the people and immediately went into attack mode from a distance.
Based on what Montana FWP says, it is likely they surprised a mother grizzly bear "accompanied by at least one yearling(s)". Further: "Sommers stated that the bear’s behavior prior to the attack was indicative of a defense of young attack and the bear was attempting to reduce the potential threat to her young. " I think defending one's offspring is considered an appropriate reaction for any species. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 4:50 am 
You happen to be near a food source. They attack. You happen to be near a sow with a yearling? It attacks. In other words, it's normal for grizzlies to attack. Not behavior conducive to good relations with humans.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 am 
RumiDude wrote:
"They were hunting on steep slopes and in thick vegetation.
Sure, hikers never go into thick vegetation or on steep slopes and they always make a lot of noise.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 11:56 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
"They were hunting on steep slopes and in thick vegetation.
Sure, hikers never go into thick vegetation or on steep slopes and they always make a lot of noise.
Point taken, but it doesn't negate Rumi's point. Hhikers really are a lot noisier than hunters, even when they're alone and not making intentional noise. Hunters are keeping low, stepping quietly, moving upwind, and everything else they can think of to avoid being seen, heard, or smelled. Much more likely to surprise a bear.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 12:03 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
You happen to be near a food source. They attack. You happen to be near a sow with a yearling? It attacks. In other words, it's normal for grizzlies to attack.
From a reading of human history, what conclusion do you draw about is "normal" human behavior? Almost ANY way you look at human history, you will find a lot of wanton disregard if not outright malicious destruction and killing of other species, the environment, and other humans.
Bernardo wrote:
Not behavior conducive to good relations with humans.
Why does everything have to be about good relations with humans? If we examine the reasons why grizzly bears were extirpated from Washington, we see that it is mostly a result of our actions. We hunted them, mostly for their hides, and we took their habitat away. Whose behavior was it that was not conducive to good relations in the extirpation of grizzlies? Rumi

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:31 pm 
Yellow NP estimates one attack per 232,000 backcountry person travel days. Yellowstone article on bear attacks

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm 
I survived my venture into the Northern Selkirks, only grouse and chipmunks today. smile.gif

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 pm 
You've got 231,999 lucky hikes left.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 8:49 pm 
Didn't hike much, rode my motorcycle to the very end of the road, and climbed about 500 feet up to a photo op viewpoint. It was near a mountain I plan to climb next year, Phoebe's Tip.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am 
I can't but help to wonder if those attacked/bitten by grizzly bear ever thought about the statistics, or if those who post those statistics are going to be thinking about them while hiking or after encountering a bear and not getting attacked/bitten!